Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting along with the elves  (Read 982 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting along with the elves
« on: December 20, 2010, 04:23:15 pm »

I haven't been able to bring myself to go to war with the tree-hugging vermin lately.

First, I should point out that, over the course of the past year, I've cut around 500 logs my surface of trees in order to build a few above-ground dwellings constructed entirely out of palm (plus a marble masoleum / chapel, but thats aside the point), plus another 180 from the second cavern layer to beef up my danger rooms in preparation for Fun.  They have no issues with this, apparently.

Secondly, in the last SINGULAR caravan, they brought me breeding pairs of alligators and jaguars.

Third...  they don't seem to mind hauling away several hundred nearly worthless stone blocks with them every year.  In fact, if anything, the cheap but heavy animals they bring with them every year (900 weight / 150 stone blocks for 400 dorfbucks) seem almost tailored to make them a stone disposal mechanism: my masons get experience, I get exotic animals, and they get...  well, nothing useful, at least.

At the same time, though, I'm feeling rather undwarvenly for allowing the elves - who apparently don't care too much about the fact that one of the two tree types that grows in my area has disappeared - to freely come and go as they please...

I'm torn!  They're elves, but...  they're bringing me wild cats to fling at goblins, and helping me get rid of excess stone!
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Getting along with the elves
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 04:47:33 pm »

First, I should point out that, over the course of the past year, I've cut around 500 logs my surface of trees in order to build a few above-ground dwellings constructed entirely out of palm (plus a marble masoleum / chapel, but thats aside the point), plus another 180 from the second cavern layer to beef up my danger rooms in preparation for Fun.  They have no issues with this, apparently.

If you're playing version 0.31.13 or later, the elves will never care about tree cutting because they don't have diplomats to negotiate logging quotas. See this thread for information on how to bring them back (do note, though, that you'll need to generate a new world for it to take effect).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:59:45 pm »

I'm dealing with the elves until the treecutting is fixed. then i'm making them butcherable.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 05:22:25 pm »

Same here, but I process the stone into mugs first.Elves bring cloth, seeds, animals, food, alcohol and wood, and I find all of it usefull. They also sometimes fight goblins for me, and leave their stuff free for the taking after dying in the process. How could I hate them?  :o
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 05:16:43 pm »

Same here, but I process the stone into mugs first.Elves bring cloth, seeds, animals, food, alcohol and wood, and I find all of it usefull. They also sometimes fight goblins for me, and leave their stuff free for the taking after dying in the process. How could I hate them?  :o
Well...  I have more than enough cloth, food, drink, and wood...  and mugs don't make my masons more skilled.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 06:34:48 pm »

I like using statues. This behavior sprung out of a need to get rid of some undesirable ones (Really Urist McMason? Another statue of large roaches?), but I found they tend to have high values once your mason is moderately skilled. They are a bit heavy, but I like to use trading as an opportunity to get wood, which is dirt cheep and has a decent amount of weight to counter that of the statues I give in return.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Horizonblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:40:51 am »

Elves have their place and uses.
So long as you strike the earth once in a while, you're good.
When in doubt:  More Lever!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 05:00:06 am »

At first, yes, the drink, the animals, the cages, are all good.

But once those are under control, I have the elves run the gauntlet of my entrance and have fun picking up the scattered loot. All fun and games for me, and as they keep appearing, they must enjoy it too.

How long do you have to abuse them for these days before they attack you?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.