Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Computer  (Read 679 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Computer
« on: December 19, 2010, 03:47:15 pm »

Well I have getting a new computer and I need some help to find a good one worth it.

First off I am thinking of a laptop so I can use it for school, but I already have an older (2002) laptop I could use.
Second minimum Price I am paying is $800 and max is $1100. I am going for the best system I can get. I will probably have a Linux partition and a Windows 7 one. I like to play games, and a new computer is always good, maybe not Crysis on Max settings, but all the games from now to 1990 would be nice, with the exception of the old games that don't work on 7 or don't work with new hardware of course.

Final thing, I want warranty on it, 2 years.

Anyone have any ideas on one?

Also I live in Canada, and I am not willing to get a Computer from the states.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: New Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 03:16:33 am »

ASUS makes some nice laptops... You can get a high-end ASUS netbook in that price range that'll put HP's of about the same price to shame. (I think.) The main think I've liked about ASUS is the lack of crapware they dump on your new computer.

Just what exactly do you expect to be using it for?

Think about what you want to do, then figure out what sort of hardware you need to accomplish it. Will you fill up a 100GB HD? Win7 eats ~1.5GB of RAM, but RAM's getting fairly cheap...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 03:26:31 am by SolarShado »
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 10:11:56 pm »

Well I have getting a new computer and I need some help to find a good one worth it.

First off I am thinking of a laptop so I can use it for school, but I already have an older (2002) laptop I could use.
Second minimum Price I am paying is $800 and max is $1100. I am going for the best system I can get. I will probably have a Linux partition and a Windows 7 one. I like to play games, and a new computer is always good, maybe not Crysis on Max settings, but all the games from now to 1990 would be nice, with the exception of the old games that don't work on 7 or don't work with new hardware of course.

Final thing, I want warranty on it, 2 years.

Anyone have any ideas on one?

Also I live in Canada, and I am not willing to get a Computer from the states.
This sounds like you wanting the best available, and you want it for free :). If you're willing to ignore a windows partition (or obtain windows seperately), then I'd look at system76 Pangolin Performance. http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=100
Their customer service is highly recommended among the ubuntu community, and you shouldn't have to worry about drivers. I would offer a Dell with ubuntu pre-installed, but it seems they're not offering a laptop right now for that.

If you don't care about service or linux compatibility as much, then you can find a similar and/or cheaper laptop at any big retailer. It will probably have relatively similar specs though, and you still won't be able to play crysis.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:47:10 pm »

malimbar04, that link to that computer is very good, I am looking into it right now.
Also I am looking for a laptop that can play most games that are out right now, not looking for large amount of RAM, 4gig's max.
I also do not need more then a 250 GB HD.
One thing that I want is a video card, and a processor that is Duel Core that is over 2.2ghz.
The link that you gave, I was able to get a pretty good deal, but I am still looking for other possibilities.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead