Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.  (Read 28737 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress, and its effect on your psyche.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 03:07:51 am »

From an ancient thread:

In one dream I was a de-facto leader of dwarves who had dug a fortress below a small hill of sand. The entrance was made from a half submerged metal barrel and barely large enough for me and the dwarves to move through. (I tend to build my fortresses behind unceremonious holes in the ground, until I'm wealthy enough to put a golden hatch on it.)

The corridors were high enough for me to walk in, while the dwarves scuttled around me doing their tasks. My help was needed in designing the rooms for the future king, who also wanted booshelves in his quarters. I pointed a suitable place for the miners and ordered them to dig a square room. There was some soft soil in part of the room, but I decided to have it covered up with a golden wall. Then I planned arrangements for the golden bookshelves until I woke up.

In another dream the long waited new version was completed. It had moved from ASCII-graphics to a low-angle isometric view, showcasing the individual features of the dwarves. The animation was a bit odd, as eating meals of spherical blue plants was done by having the dwarves stretch their mouths to swallow the football-sized plants whole. Aside from that, I got a farm going and woke up.

Since then I've seen lots of similiar dreams about giving orders inside the fortress. The latest one was a modern underground facility, yet the expansive mining and hi-tech industry was still run in the exactly same way.

There was also one where I showed around my home fort to someone, who couldn't imagine why anyone would want to live in such place.

I sleep well when I think about how happy dwarves are every evening after having survived another day.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 08:45:37 pm »

Be glad your dreams don't look like minecraft and your fortress is being invaded by creepers and spiders and your squad only has leather armor.
Didn't you double wall and moat your fortress? /shudder creepers... the horror man. the horror...

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:25 pm »

This just in: Last night I saw a dream that while playing, I found underground a unique, randomly generated seed for a new plant species. The caravan arc wasn't out yet, but I was already exited about how a new plant available would affect the world once I could export the seeds.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 06:33:43 am »

Last night I dreamt that a fortress had a starting scenario of an orphanage the children had fortified themself in. While defending the doors seemed obvious at first, I soon got the idea to produce a pickaxe and dig through a softer soil tile under the food stockpile. I ordered food and useful items dumped into the new tunnel I had dug, with a plan to dig a pit at the start of it to prevent social workers from following.

This was also another case of dreaming in ascii, though it wasn't that weird since it was about a game. Not like the time I was Anubis and helping a real @ on its quest.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 07:31:02 am »

I had a dream that was awesome.

We were dwarf gladiators, fighting in the pits to master our combat skills. The king would throw dozens of goblins at us only to be dismembered and maimed to the delighted cries of many bearded children and women in the stands.

The king became slowly more insane with power over time though, demanding we kill goblins with specific materials like glass hammers and such. Eventually we were being forced to battle idle peasants with giant spider-silk capes that we had to use as a garrote.

Suddenly the doors were opened to set us into the surface world, our training being complete, it was time to accomplish our destiny. From his balcony the king proclaimed "Our kingdom is small and poor, I see a remedy for this: Bring me the head of John Mlkovich!"

The king had been watching "Being John Malkovich" and missed some parts of it I guess.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:33:26 am by Duntada Man »
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 03:18:23 am »

Last night I dreamt that I left the game running while reading a book, until I noticed that my hammerer had been promoted to hangman. I was also running out of food and drinks despite having five separate farm plots so I dedicated some dwarves to milking animals.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 05:28:44 am »

Cross-posting from the tshirts thread:
I just bought a black t-shirt with the white writing "So Many Kittens, So Few Recipes" on it.

I don't think DF has affected me at all.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 06:18:32 am »

Last night I dreamed that I created a 6.7 GHz CPU using Alien (Shofixti) technology with some wierd non-even asynchronous L1 data and instruction caches and 256 MB of onboard 3000 Mhz (PC24K) memory.  It ran a 32x32 map with 207 Z-layers and HFS exposed, 800 dwarves and 1000+ animals at over 900 FPS.  I marketed it and became filthy rich until a dwarf came out of the game and attacked me.  He hacked off an arm and both legs before I could respond by throwing a Mtn Dew can and decapitating him.  Then I bled to death.

What is the worst imagineable?  I am not making this dream up.

Wouldn't peg the Shofixti as being masters of CPU technology.  Now the Mmrnmhrm on the other hand...
Adon * Amil * Orethan

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 11:52:49 am »

In a small dream fragment, male dwarves wore top hats and females fine victorian womens hats. Also, ropes could be used to make net traps.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 12:02:20 pm »

I had a dream were I somehow managed to import a masterwork mechanism that caused a worldwide economic collapse because it was basically a Planepacked :P

I'm obviously gonna love the Caravan Arc.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 01:46:17 pm »

After wasting a night away playing DF I started feeling myself turning into some kind of key hammering, list scrolling, delusional automaton. Never dreamed about it, though.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 01:58:15 pm »

After wasting a night away playing DF I started feeling myself turning into some kind of key hammering, list scrolling, delusional automaton. Never dreamed about it, though.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 08:51:17 pm »

I'm thinking about things/people who annoyed me lately using... DF combat logs.
Also my unwritten fan fiction character uses an axe.

"The severed part sails off in an arc!"
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 10:54:14 pm »

500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 11:10:12 pm »

My brother constantly complains that nobody would describe faces the way they are described in dwarf fortress, so when I look at people now, I start thinking "That person has a short head that's quite broad," or "that person has a very tall head," stuff like that.  I haven't started actually thinking of skin color though, mostly because I haven't spent so much time looking at the raws as to have memorized the color list yet.  Also, I keep seeing dwarf fortress names, though I only remembered how to find one, which I came across on wikipedia.

Rosine Leckermaul (literally, "Rosina Tastymuzzle")
The witch from the Hänsel und Gretel opera.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11