Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining vein without micromanagement?  (Read 823 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mining vein without micromanagement?
« on: December 16, 2010, 07:39:17 pm »

Is there an option that allows dwarves to continually mine away at a designated stone type in a vein?  There has to be a better way than clicking on each adjacent bit of hematite I see.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Mining vein without micromanagement?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:44:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:00:56 pm by Acperience »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:45:22 pm »

Is there an option that allows dwarves to continually mine away at a designated stone type in a vein?  There has to be a better way than clicking on each adjacent bit of hematite I see.
DFHack has a tool called dfvdig. To use this tool, you go into the designation cursor ingame, scroll over one tile of a vein you want dug out, then alt-tab to another window, run dfvdig, and then hit enter. The tool will have instantly designated the entire vein for you.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:25:43 am »

I believe Toady's intending to implement auto-mining of entire veins.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:31:14 am »

DFHack has a tool called dfvdig. To use this tool, you go into the designation cursor ingame, scroll over one tile of a vein you want dug out, then alt-tab to another window, run dfvdig, and then hit enter. The tool will have instantly designated the entire vein for you.

This is more or less the only option, but it is also the best. Just be careful about using it near known water sources (such as rivers), as it does not discriminate against damp stone. (Unrevealed water sources will be safe enough as the digging designation will be canceled once the miner finds the stone.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:35:40 am »

Just mine the crap out of the level... It's the dwarfy way!