Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to "Dig"?  (Read 1900 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
How to "Dig"?
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:50:58 pm »

The topic title. I'm new to Dwarf fortress, and this is one of my many questions. I know how to mine, but don't know how "Dig" on the surface, like making pools... etc.
Any help, please? Sorry if this question is answered in a visible topic. But i couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Chiefwaffles
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: How to "Dig"?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 04:54:09 pm »

Go to the (d)esignation menu and choose c(h)annel.
*Hugs*

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 04:54:19 pm »

You want the "Channel" designation.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:58:10 pm »

Ok. thanks.

(On a sidenote, these are the speediest forums i have ever seen)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 04:59:22 pm »

I remember my first ever fort. It was a flat map and as such I had nothing to mine into and had to go straight down. Needless to say it took me fifteen minutes to work out that I had to dig a staircase doing down [d - j] and then, once there, a staircase on the level below going up [d - u]

If you do mean to create a big hole in the ground. Just channel [d - h] this will create a ramp as well, but if you create a 3x3 hole in the ground, the middle tile will have no ramp.

Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 04:59:47 pm »

Yeah, The community's pretty rockin. Plus we're worldwide, so all timezones are covered.
*Hugs*

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 05:03:17 pm »

Also, this is the help section. The vets like to show off their E-Penis [I mean this in a kind way] and I just want to look like I'm actually contributing to this forum rather than being... in the way.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 05:04:05 pm »

I'm hardly a vet -_-
*Hugs*

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 05:27:00 pm »

Did you really expect something precise and accurate from me?

Also something else you will learn about these forums. We will derail your thread, but only when the question has been answered.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 05:51:26 pm »

Also, this is the help section. The vets like to show off their E-Penis [I mean this in a kind way] and I just want to look like I'm actually contributing to this forum rather than being... in the way.
I think a lot of the so-called "vets" have the same motivation as you do. I know I do.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 06:24:44 pm »

I ask enough stupid questions that I like to balance out my forum karma and help out when I can.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »

The nature of the game is such that once a moderately-skilled player has a mature fort the fort will run smoothly without the player's intervention, and slowly enough that said intervention is required only every every few minutes at most. Most palyers, once they get to that point, seem to keep the game windowed and alt-tab to another window while the game runs itself, and often that "other window" happens to be the forums. This, of course, contributes to the speed of responses in most cases, which is pretty awesome  ;)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Shelegelah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 09:38:29 pm »

The nature of the game is such that once a moderately-skilled player has a mature fort the fort will run smoothly without the player's intervention, and slowly enough that said intervention is required only every every few minutes at most. Most palyers, once they get to that point, seem to keep the game windowed and alt-tab to another window while the game runs itself, and often that "other window" happens to be the forums. This, of course, contributes to the speed of responses in most cases, which is pretty awesome

Holy shit, I'm doing that right now...

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 04:59:15 am »

The nature of the game is such that once a moderately-skilled player has a mature fort the fort will run smoothly without the player's intervention, and slowly enough that said intervention is required only every every few minutes at most. Most palyers, once they get to that point, seem to keep the game windowed and alt-tab to another window while the game runs itself, and often that "other window" happens to be the forums. This, of course, contributes to the speed of responses in most cases, which is pretty awesome

Holy shit, I'm doing that right now...

lol... same.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Puersenexa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 07:35:45 am »

The nature of the game is such that once a moderately-skilled player has a mature fort the fort will run smoothly without the player's intervention, and slowly enough that said intervention is required only every every few minutes at most. Most palyers, once they get to that point, seem to keep the game windowed and alt-tab to another window while the game runs itself, and often that "other window" happens to be the forums. This, of course, contributes to the speed of responses in most cases, which is pretty awesome  ;)

I'm doing this as well... only my fortress is still a group of people standing around a wagon. I'm on this thread because I was trying to figure out how to dig haha
Pages: [1] 2