Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: when to start making military equipment  (Read 1478 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: when to start making military equipment
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 01:59:54 pm »

ok, I took the suggestion of arming a dwarf early with iron, this worked pretty well, he got a lot of skill solo training, and managed to down a night wing on his own, (but not before a local cow got murdered).  I just reached 40 dwarfs and I started building military equipment but the first ambush still hit me hard at least 3 different ones on the map at once to include a goblin ranged unit, my dwarfs only killed 2 or three of them, and I lost my hunter :(, maybe I should start earlier, I def could of  but I tend to over compensate on the number of barrels and bins my fortress will need, o well the site did not have flux due to a dyslexic moment I had so it is good that I restart.

to answer the question

no: i do not start with an armor smith or weapon smith

I typically start with

cook
metalsmith
brewer
grower
appraiser
miner
carpenter

I should cut out the brewer and carpenter really,  cook maybe, but I prefer the high cooking skill because tallow can take forever to do,  I should bring more dogs, I used to bring a few to protect the cart from mountain gnomes, or marmots, idk why I stooped.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 08:37:42 am »

obsidian is a factor to consider... i embark with a skilled stone crafter. current fort has 2 swordsdwarves in training (both potash makers) with obsidian swrods. they have a whale of time killing the hordes of snailmen that roam the upper slopes of the mountain.
This is a blank sig.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 01:39:45 pm »

I embark without any protection save my trusty Crocodile Monitors. The right pets will watch out for kobolds, giving you time to hold on until the first caravan comes in. Dwarves bringing copper, bronze and steel will outfit a few dwarves well enough.

Also, only dwarves with superior physical characteristics get into my military. As a result, even the lowliest recruit is better off in a fight than the average year-trained militia.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 04:41:01 pm »

if you arnt using danger rooms then the only way to get dwarves trained to fend off the first ambushes without traps is aggressively hunting the surface/caverns with them which causes losses.

stick down a few cages in a constructed corridor above ground, couple of disks.  your military shouldnt really get pressed early on, build defensively
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 04:51:10 pm »

Or you could use some cage traps to catch snatchers, then strip them of everything and dump them in a room with some soldiers armed with training weapons. It's hard for a wrestler to kill anything anymore, and as long as you moderate the amount of snatchers the soldiers should be fine.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »

It's hard for a wrestler to kill anything anymore
The Elephant charge Urist McSteelclad, tumble him backward.
The Elephant strangle Urist McSteelclad x99
Urist McSteelclad, the Axerlord, has suffocated
Urist McWife is throwing a tantrum

I begin military equipment very early in the game. Everyone at least got a wooden shield, a bone breast plate and a bone helm. Whenever I got an accident with wildlife, they either do the above, or attack the non-protected bodyparts, usually that'd take a long time for anyone to bleed out/suffocate, enough for me to send help. Sure, they might rest for the rest of their life in the hospital with borken legs & arms but it's better then losing men. I can decide their fate later.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 09:57:34 pm »

Immediately to begin with. Like right away. The first thing you do in fact. Let me explain......

I tend to do it in three stages. Take into account that most of my embarks are in sinister/terrifying terrain, so early wildlife attacks are quite regular. The first one is straight away, by taking the minerals/fuel to make up 6 bronze weapons. Each weapon comes out to 15 embark points, which is pretty cheap considering they're the second best cutting weapons aside from candy. I make a smelter/anvil immediately and make up a few weapons with my skilled weapon-smith. I usually make up 3 picks and 3 axes to help out the fort early on, plus they're also quite good limb-chopping weapons and fairly good for larger creatures. I also bring along 6 light wood for shields for my dwarfs, which are made by my carpenter even before beds are thought of. This gives me a good fall-back option at the start where I just squad up dwarfs as necessary (and take the happiness hit) to protect the early fort. All useless immigrants then get permanently rotated into the squad and danger-roomed/squad trained. I find the bronze weapons/wooden shields are good enough that it doesn't matter if they become attached to them.

I also find that it's worth using a few useless dwarfs as miners until it's their highest skill, because if they mood you get a pretty awesome fighter for the squad. And a miner for cotton candy.

The next stage is decision making time. Really it's just a matter of asking -: Bronze, steel or candy - magma or not? Any of these three will get you through the majority of ambushes, it depends on the resources available. Also make up 3-6 copper/silver hammers as your anti-armour option. I start pumping out armour, more axes and a few spears and hammers as soon as possible, enough to equip 5 three man squads with full armour. This usually gives you 3 axes, pick, hammer, spear dwarfs and then a weapon of choice squad. Within the first year or so you'll have the weapons and armour required to defend your fort nearly all game, with danger-room trained dwarfs toting them. Try and make this decision by the end of the first year or earlier, and make up some full armour sets. It doesn't matter if they're not exceptional quality, any quality bronze/steel/candy armour is ALWAYS better than none (imho).

After that, the final stage is just training up armour/weapon smiths to insanely high level and upgrading the equipment of your squads. And getting more squads. And making squads bigger. And putting every crappy weapon in traps all over the map. You're done by now, plan a hell expedition or a war against all other civilised races........... Or both at once.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:00:06 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 10:02:20 pm »

It's hard for a wrestler to kill anything anymore
The Elephant charge Urist McSteelclad, tumble him backward.
The Elephant strangle Urist McSteelclad x99
Urist McSteelclad, the Axerlord, has suffocated
Urist McWife is throwing a tantrum
That is a moot point, considering elephants are several sizes larger than dwarves and shouldn't be able to grab things anyway.

But really, I've seen wrestling killl somebody twice maybe, even then the person was unconcious from extreme pain from several chipped bones.
Pages: 1 [2]