Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Community game?  (Read 1039 times)

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Community game?
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »

I am increasingly confused about what a community game is. I think this is the best place to post such a question so I hope for some good replies. =/ Please explain it to me like I know nothing about it.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: Community game?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:55:02 pm »

It's a game where the players pass the save around.

Boatmurdered is a classic.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:00:17 pm »

That's a succession game. A community game is where one person is playing, but the readers have a say in what the player does.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:06:04 pm »

Xl     That is a succession game. It is... Right?     Xl
Ninja'd! Phew... Was correct.
That's true? I don't know. I have now heard 3 different versions. I think I'm gonna cry...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:07:16 pm »

What versions have you heard? It kinda depends on how you interpret "community."

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:13:24 pm »

Community fortress, as I've heard, is one where one person plays it but the events are described and wrought into song and tale by the community.
Community games are games where there is fort, and people can get dwarves named for them. EG : There is fort Bottleneck, a community fortress. People will ask to have a dwarf named after them.
A community game is where one person is playing, but the readers have a say in what the player does.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:17:39 pm »

That's a succession game. A community game is where one person is playing, but the readers have a say in what the player does.

Ah. I wasn't aware there was a difference.

I've been in the lo'er forums for a year, and seem to have forgotten some stuff. Heh.

Sorry.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 02:23:05 pm »

No problem. I just got almost completely sure that there is a difference today. So I am trying to find out what both are. Already know about the succession game but the community game seems to get more and more confusing for me.
BTW Those back there were the 3 versions I have heard. Could we have anyone else confirm something or maybe it's a mixture of some two or maybe you have a new version of what it is. Any comment on it is welcome.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:46:08 pm by ottottott »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 05:08:52 pm »

It's where one person plays and posts things for others to read. Whether they let other people tell them what to do or name dwarves or things like that is extra.

EDIT: IMO
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 06:16:33 pm »

It can be any of those deifinitons. There is usually a story, community members get dwares named after them if they ask, and reader input is almost always embraced and followed.

EDIT: Towersoared is a great example of all three, but it's on somewhat of a hiatus for now.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 06:39:06 pm »

So...

Succession game - A game where one player starts at the beginning of Spring and goes until the next Spring arrives. Regardless of what is happening, he is to save it immediately and send it to the next person.

Community game - Open to player interpretation, could be one or all of the following. An embark can be chosen by the writer or the community. The fortress design/projects are chosen by the writer or the community. On the choice of the writer can people choose dwarfs to be named after them. A good co-writer could be used to turn the events written by the player of the fortress into a more story like setting (I would like this 'cause I'm not very good at writing stories). Mods to the game can be chosen by the writer or the community.

Mind all of the above for the community game is at the discretion of the writer. A writer could merely just tell the tale of his fortress if he wanted, just to share with the community of what is going on. IIRC I've seen a fortress "community game" start 2 or more years into the fortress, when things finally started getting interesting.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 11:35:18 pm »

Succession/Bloodline- a game that is played for a certain amount of in game time and then passed to another player to continue the story

Community game- 1 Player builds a story using a fort and shares it with the community.

Sparkgear- WTF! This is total... Why  :'(  Actual definition: A game played for a certain amount of real time before being passed to another player.

Im not sure if their should be another name for the last one, as I am unaware of others with the same rules or what it should be called if not after the original.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 09:28:26 am »

:)     Thanks! This really cleared it up. And I am also going to create one. I like the idea of not having to think what useless thing to do next.     :)