Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improving sieges  (Read 918 times)

thedude72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improving sieges
« on: December 10, 2010, 04:25:03 pm »

Ok, so here is what I want to know. I'm sick of cutting through any siege that comes at me like magma through butter; goblin, human, elven, what have you. But I love this fort more then my non-existent children. I can handle the fact that my good dwarves are all Legendary in combat, but even when I send in the rookies, there are no casualties. I don't want to downgrade their armor because I don't want to deal with losing several and then having to deal with a migrant wave.

What I want are injuries. Not necessarily crippling, but goddammit they should be able to break the skin. I WANT SCARS ON MY DWARVES!!

The question: How do I get goblins to wield steel shit without having to regen the game?

I remember reading that kobolds will come with all kinds of steel crap if you let them steal enough valuables, but what is the number?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improving sieges
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:59:42 pm »

make the humans siege you.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:09:26 pm »

Mod iron to have the stats of steel.

You can also mod the goblins to make them stronger. For example, increase their size, copy the DRAGONFIREBREATH from dragons, give them wings, etc.

Also, because we now have creature-innate skills, goblins can be modded to be ninja-like dodgers and legendary swordsmasters as well.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:23:30 pm »

Train the gobbos. Drop them into a pit that is a danger room. After a year or so, they will be skilled and deadly killers. If they are lashers and you don't have shields, prepare for some casualties. Also, only engage them on a narrow bridge, that way your dwarves will often fall off. I just use some of fortress defense plus some of my own stuff.

DasGuntLord01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 07:31:43 pm »

make the humans siege you.

This.  Mercilessly slaughter every non-bearded caravan that comes your way.  Cut down every tree.  Offer the elves wooden crowns.  Get two seiges a year!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »

This.  Mercilessly slaughter every non-bearded caravan that comes your way.  Cut down every tree.  Offer the elves wooden crowns.  Get two seiges a year!

For real fun? Fixed that for you.
Iron and wood is fine, but try going up against steel.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 07:35:54 pm »

You can't go to war with the dwarves...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 07:46:27 pm »

I could of sworn you could, if you annoyed them enough. Maybe I'm thinking of a mod or old release, but I know I have had dwarfs pounding on my front gate, chanting 'Blood for the blood god!'

thedude72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 07:47:02 pm »

So I can't get them to use steel at all?

And for the record, i cut through the humans too

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »

Max White, you might of had multiple dwarven civs and your civ was at war with that one.  I dunno.  I do know that killing all caravans will make you have a loyalty cascade, and your dwarves will kill eachother.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 08:24:04 pm »

Max White, you might of had multiple dwarven civs and your civ was at war with that one.  I dunno.  I do know that killing all caravans will make you have a loyalty cascade, and your dwarves will kill eachother.

Dwarf civs will never go to war with players playing dwarves.

Max was probably attacked by baby-snatched dwarves allied with the goblins.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 08:25:41 pm »

Max was probably attacked by baby-snatched dwarves allied with the goblins.

Na, they were all dwarfs, Autem too. I'm thinking it must have been a mod, as I have tried several that I liked that have multiple dwarf entitys.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 09:49:30 pm »

Make goblin blood a horrible flesh eating toxin or something that only affects dwarfs.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.