Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many people do you know who play DF, not counting people you introduced to it?

- 130 (63.7%)
- 40 (19.6%)
- 15 (7.4%)
- 8 (3.9%)
- 2 (1%)
5+
- 9 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: How many people you know play Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11337 times)

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
Re: How many people you know play Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2010, 05:48:58 am »

Humans hate what they don't understand. Thus, 10% of people understand and love Dwarf Fortress, 85% would lose their minds if they didn't block it out as a defense mechanism, and the last 5% are so confused and bewildered by it that they go berserk and start throwing furniture and cats all over the place. We send those to the atom smasher.

Galtleos knows the procedure, I'm just annoyed people never branch out and stay with the same old crap all the time.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2010, 05:52:45 am »

It just blows my mind that people could... hate dwarf fortress. I mean lack the understanding to play DF, fine. Rouge like games arn't for everybody, and I can understand that. If you want graphics in your game, then thats a personal choice, but what could provoke hate?

I think the only game I have ever felt a strong hate towards, for all the annoying, borning and lame games I have played, was Final fantasy X-2, and that was because it basterdised FFX so baddly, and totaly negated the themes of the original. But DF dosn't realy spit in the face of anything. I can understand if there are things you don't like, but things to hate?

I'll never understand humans.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2010, 05:55:42 am »

Well, it did spark a very interesting debate in a lecture. Me and the other guy who really hated DF had a 30 minute argument over it.

I then realised afterwards everyone had sodded off to leave the two nerds to argue about their video games XD
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

peterlol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2010, 06:01:03 am »

I only know one guy, He's only just introduced me to it though. I intend on sharing it with some friends to see what they think  ;D
Let the tides pull me in and wash away the filth
Saturate the pores and clean out all of the guilt
Let the ocean devour the towers that I've built

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2010, 02:47:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure none of my friends would have a clue as to what to do with an ASCII game. They are gamers, but they're pretty mainstream gamers, need graphics and such, otherwise "nah".

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2010, 05:22:18 pm »

I only know one guy, He's only just introduced me to it though. I intend on sharing it with some friends to see what they think  ;D
Well then, welcome to this wretched hive of scum and villainy. And magma. And plump helmets. And ridiculously complex death traps.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2010, 05:47:15 pm »

I know zero people who play.  I remember being introduced to the game by someone on instant messenger, but I don't remember who did it, and none of my friends will admit to ever having touched DF.  So, I'm in some sort of closed loop of dorfness. o_O

I talk to my friends about it some and even got my old roommate to read Boatmurdered and Headshoots, but he doesn't actually play.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2010, 07:40:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure none of my friends would have a clue as to what to do with an ASCII game. They are gamers, but they're pretty mainstream gamers, need graphics and such, otherwise "nah".

Don't be so quick to rule your friends out, I myself was very much a person who had only been exposed to such shiny games (only got an xbox this year and a laptop) Yet I absolutely love DF and play it as much as possible. However I introduced myself to it really because I saw a guy playing it and decided to download it and play it. So YMMV Note: The wiki is the greatest asset ever!
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2010, 07:58:27 pm »

I know me, myself, and I.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

manicmoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2010, 12:58:55 pm »

I live near London Ontario myself, just moved from there earlier this year..I was able to get a few people into the game and while their attention is diverted to other games right now (WoW, Minecraft) they still love the stories that come from it. Most people I know have trouble getting over the interface but are intrigued by the game so who knows maybe they'll get into it in the future.

VDOgamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2010, 01:43:48 pm »

I haven't met anybody who already played it, but I have spread it to quite a few people, and some of them have spread it further. :D

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2010, 06:06:01 pm »

Ughhh 4chan introduced me/minecraft forums.
I read a page about a game which is amazing but has a learnign curb of 90 degrees, then I read a page on minecraft forum.
Downloaded the game, and here I am :D
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2010, 06:08:22 pm »

I found the game through 3 Panel Soul, and...Yeah. Nobody I've tried to introduce it to wants anything to do with it. D:
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2010, 06:18:01 pm »

Was modding dwarves into CivIV and got bored, went into a retro mood and screamed: I need an indie game with dwarves! and that was that
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2010, 12:04:34 am »

I first found Dwarf Fortress on Encyclopedia Dramatica and that it was some weird game I'd never understand, but I was drawn to it eventually because I like building fortresses and other assorted defensive structures usaully in halo's forge mode. But here I am now modding in dwarf sized scorpion people made of steel and feeding them elf biscuits and goblin roast. So far I know no one else who plays DF most people I know prefering call of duty or halo, although some people seem interested in it for the same reasons as me. I play it at school sometimes when there is free time and a free computer and people stare at me, usually after telling them 109 cats just died in arena mode to a dragon. Others seem interested in it for the fact it's a game most teacher don't think is a game. One time I got to play DF in class for a month or 2 because the teacher didn't notice it said dwarf fortress at the top of the screen. Some people I know refer to it as that pixel game which frustrates me a bit, so I remind them it's ascii and that all games are pixel games which some deny which I find hilarious.
nothing
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8