Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many people do you know who play DF, not counting people you introduced to it?

- 130 (63.7%)
- 40 (19.6%)
- 15 (7.4%)
- 8 (3.9%)
- 2 (1%)
5+
- 9 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: How many people you know play Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11336 times)

Lekegolo Khanid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many people you know play Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2010, 09:03:35 am »

I know two and both their brothers play it. Although most of them are more into Minecraft. Other than them I know two others who have heard of it. Ontario, anyone?

London Ontario, I know at least...8 people? I kinda lost touch with most of 'em tho.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2010, 09:59:07 am »

I don't know anyone who plays DF. In fact, I don't know too many people who (still) play video games at all because everyone's so freaking adult and mature and games are for kids. I'm getting kind of sick of it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits

Watch, learn, explain, win.
Especially this one. Story of my and many other people's fucking life. Everyone should watch that.
Also, thanks to linking me to that, it's pretty epic!
Hyup. Video games are just for kids, apparently. I think it counts double for Dwarf Fortressers, though. Play a game about a husky Italian guy who tramples turtles to death, you're just a little weird. But play one game where it's possible to dismember a man and beat his wife and children to death with his severed leg, and all of a sudden people are up in arms. Hmph.

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
— C.S. Lewis

I love that quote.

On topic: I don't know anyone who plays it. I have tried to get a few friends to start playing but to no avail. However i have heard of a few friends of friends who play it, but i have not met them.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:01:37 am by Genoraven »
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2010, 11:53:56 am »

Found the game on /v/ about 2 years back, so I don't even know who really introduced me.
Nobody I know plays it.

Anybody in North Carolina play?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »

I don't know anyone who plays DF. In fact, I don't know too many people who (still) play video games at all because everyone's so freaking adult and mature and games are for kids. I'm getting kind of sick of it.
Don't worry, kids grow out of that. Usually by the time they get out of high school.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2010, 04:00:27 pm »

I'm in Minnesota and only know one other person who plays it other than the people who showed it to me. I was introduced to the game by some friends I played a MUD with and now play WoW with from the Seattle area.
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:21:48 pm by MC Dirty »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2010, 04:24:42 pm »

But dosn't that sort of support the origenal argument, rather then debate it? I mean he said that in high school, everybody acts too mature to play video games, and so you said that in collage everybody you know plays video games.

This would seems to show that people get more into video games, rather then mature out of them.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2010, 04:53:45 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:21:53 pm by MC Dirty »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2010, 07:02:59 pm »

Sorry, misread your post. It was before I had my morning cup of tea then, so I'm awake now.

Hmm, a lot of the people I know not only play vidio games, but also watch kids shows on tv every morning, and buy gum from those machines in shopping centers, and I'm out of high school.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2010, 07:15:37 pm »

All of the people in my major play video games. Though that may be beacuse my major is Game Design And Development.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2010, 03:55:02 am »

I've met and talked to two others who play df at my old school, but I don't know them and I doubt I woulde even recognise them if I walked past them so they don't count.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2010, 04:39:14 am »

I know 0 other people IRL that play this, an absolute fuck ton who appear to hate it as much as furries...

I also know there are quite a few UK gamers here, BIG UP MASSIVE, DWARF FORTRESS IN 'DA UK!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2010, 05:36:41 am »

Wait, how did DF gain enough reputation be be hated, let alone on the same scale as people hate furries? Did somebody mention it on the MineCraft forums, and the locals there got all defencive or something?

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2010, 05:45:56 am »

It's more to do with the people I know.

They're all graphics whores, prefering shiny, shiny over actual gameplay.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2010, 05:46:59 am »

Humans hate what they don't understand. Thus, 10% of people understand and love Dwarf Fortress, 85% would lose their minds if they didn't block it out as a defense mechanism, and the last 5% are so confused and bewildered by it that they go berserk and start throwing furniture and cats all over the place. We send those to the atom smasher.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8