Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When would you be most able to commit as a Shareholder or Renter?

Immediately!
- 5 (4.7%)
1-2 years
- 5 (4.7%)
3-5 years
- 15 (14%)
6-10 years
- 24 (22.4%)
This is stupid.
- 39 (36.4%)
Never
- 19 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Bay12 Community - For Realz  (Read 9753 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Community - For Realz
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2010, 10:52:34 pm »

Here's a 4-flat in Capitol Hill with 8 bedrooms total for only $1,075,000.  Talk em down to $800k and that's only $100k/bedroom in the middle of Seattle.
If only this was Recettear.  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2010, 11:43:08 pm »

Graebeard, that plan actually sounds logical. Now, if I joined, I'd just need to find a way to raise $10,000. Scholarships can do that, amirite?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2010, 12:03:07 am »

Well, it depends.  It's tough to get a load of cash like that out of a scholarship.  Usually you get money each semester to live on.  I didn't get any scholarships during undergrad, but now I'm on a mix of scholarships and loans.  I get about $6k at the beginning of each semester for food/housing/books.

I should also point out that I ran that with very conservative numbers for the loan.  It's certainly possible to buy property with less money down.  A friend of mine bought his house two years ago with only 2.5% down using an FHA loan.  Last I checked these were still pretty easy to get, so something with a smaller initial cash contribution could probably be in the cards with if the numbers worked out.
At last, she is done.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2010, 09:59:57 am »

Okay, after Graebeard did all the math and stuff (thanks for that!), I actually think this is a really cool idea! I live in Germany and I'm currently in the third semester of my 6-semester bachelor course of studies. I also live with 9 people who I've never met before since August and we're getting along mighty fine despite us not having too much in common, either.

That being said, nothing really stops me from getting my Master in Mathematics (if everything works out the way I hope) in America or, more specifically, at the University of Washington (I just checked, they offer MMath) which would be interesting. Of course, I have no idea if that would actually work well since the Bachelor courses in America are quite different from those in Germany, but there are plenty of people who do something like that, so...

Call me crazy, but I'd definitely be interested! Not as a shareholder of course, but as a temporary (2 to 3 years or so) renter. I have no idea how hard it would be to find a job as a foreigner, but I hope to save up enough money to survive for half a year and my father's also gonna support me. Also, at that point I would already have my Bachelor because I certainly won't move away from here before I manage that.

Count me in as a "If I can manage it, HELL FUCKING YEAH!"

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2010, 10:15:27 am »

Oh, and going to school in another country is, in my experience, ALWAYS an awesome idea.
And the undergrad courses in most Germany should be more than enough (in some cases, way more) for most American schools from the German students I knew. Of course, they were mostly engineering students, so it might be different for math (although I doubt it)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2010, 11:12:33 am »

Actually, never mind. Studying in the US seems to be way too expensive. :(

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2010, 11:21:12 am »

Of course it is, this is America.

But still, if you don't come here, at least get out of Europe and go somewhere.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2010, 11:37:04 am »

Of course it is, this is America.
That's why I said "If I can manage it" which turns out to be a bigger "If" than I originally anticipated. Don't really know if it makes sense to move to America after finishing my master in Germany because that's a really permanent and big deal.

But still, if you don't come here, at least get out of Europe and go somewhere.
Easier said than done. I only speak German and English, so Germany, the UK and the US really make the most sense, but I don't want to permanently move to America at the age of 26 or so because that's a huge-ass way and I can't really get any work without some major problems.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:40:06 am by MC Dirty »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2010, 12:17:06 pm »

New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Iceland, Isreal, and English should be more than enough to let you get by in a host of Asian countries. Alternatively, learn a new language.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2010, 12:21:56 pm »

I don't know about Germany, but I know that foreign exchange programs in the US often pay the entirety of a student's tuition while they're in the other country.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »

Mc Dirty: what kinds of programs have you been looking at?  I know absolutely zero about school in Deutschland, but if you're looking at U.S. Ph.D programs then cost shouldn't really be a hurdle.  Every Ph.D program I looked at when I considered applying essentially pays you (a very small sum) to go to school.  Masters programs, on the other hand, are a completely different ballgame.  Those tend to cost a boatload.
At last, she is done.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2011, 01:32:16 am »

It's late and I haven't read most of this thread, just the first page and most of the previous thread.  But I'm interested.  I have a steady online job, no particular love for my current apartment, and I've always wanted to move to WA (from NC).

Communes are very real, I volunteered my skills as a bicycle mechanic at one in downtown Raleigh - 1304 bikes.  It *eventually* fell apart, but I was going there semi-regularly for about two years.

I'll be reading this thread later, and doing some more research on other successful communes.  Essentially, you can count me in.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2011, 03:17:23 am »

This is 7 pages of awkward shit posts right here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2011, 03:16:21 pm »

After reading the thread and thinking clearly about this for a while, I will *definitely* at least rent if this happens.  There's a good chance I'd buy a share, but that depends on many things.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2011, 11:16:03 pm »

I would totally do this. But I'd need at least 4 years, depending on how schooling goes, and what uni's are near there. I'm going for Elec Engineering, and the experience. As long as I get an education from a decent party school, I'd totally be in as a renter.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9