Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Statues!  (Read 7527 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Statues!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »

I usually do fun stuff with the fun statues and toss the rest into mined-out ore veins and such.  For instance, the statue garden has (currently) 14 masterwork gold statues encrusted with ruby, each depicting the foundation of the settlement, and 2 masterwork gold statues of forgotten beasts, encrusted with onyx, black pyrope, and the like.  I figured it was appropriate.

I'm also stockpiling statues of the gods to make a really nice cathedral to the Dwarven pantheon.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 02:59:30 pm »

Just had a thought  does anyone else feel the need to build loads of statues and place them everywhere!

My forts do not feel complete without least a grand hall with rows of them!

My forts are usually filled with marble and/or obsidian statues.  Any non-masterwork statues get atom smashed or tossed into the magma sea.  The rest get encrusted with gems and strategically placed around the fort.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 04:12:10 pm »

Every tile in my bedrooms are either beds, or statues. (And I give every single dwarf a 3X3 bedroom.) The great part is that Masterwork statues are great for appeasing nobles room demands.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 04:27:21 pm »

I always put statues on the road to my depot, but since I've decided that I can't be much bothered with invaders, I'll also be putting the scary looking ones on the winding, trap-filled path I've designed.

Pre-EDIT: Damnit, I can't. I chose to spell out a giant FUCK YOU in different types of trap along the path. no statue-lining for me :(
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 04:32:21 pm »

Noduk the god of fortresses, war, and statues.  Noduk is angry because he is only found on engraved walls.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 04:42:20 pm »

I always put statues on the road to my depot, but since I've decided that I can't be much bothered with invaders, I'll also be putting the scary looking ones on the winding, trap-filled path I've designed.

Pre-EDIT: Damnit, I can't. I chose to spell out a giant FUCK YOU in different types of trap along the path. no statue-lining for me :(

*Wins the game*
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 06:26:42 pm »

my terracotta dwarf statue army shall best your pitiful clay army!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 11:20:24 pm »

*Wins the game*
GGHHHHHH. AAAAAG. DAMMIT. YOU BASTARD.

I lost the game.
くコ:彡

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 11:37:50 pm »

lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:39:29 pm by Harbinger »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 11:48:09 pm »

In 40d I had a walled statue garden built atop a plateau with statues forged from various precious and not-so-precious metals. It kept a lot of dwarves happy until it became a magnet for the giant cave swallows breeding uncontrollably in the chasm.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 12:35:42 am »

I love that statues have random descriptions now and I love sticking them places. What's funny is when you use your only platinum for a statue for the duchess' room and you get a statue of... flies.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Antisthenes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 01:50:23 am »

I have a statue of some bronze colossus next to the cage i keep him in.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 02:38:33 am »

edit: in one of my forts i used statues as crosses. i built them over graves like so:

S_
 \_G|

i love this idea.  If you get a statue you want to give to a particular dwarf, you can then mark the coffin beneath as a tomb.  This would work well for an above ground fort.  For an undeground fort I imagine digging out a large room that opens into and underground cave and then doing the same thing.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 04:41:55 am »

I give my dwarves a statue in every room. 3x4 with a statue, bed, table, chair, cabinet and coffer, smoothed results in Decent quarters, which I guess leads to happier dwarves.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 06:02:15 am »

Well I am glad eveyone likes statues ;D

quick question which skill is used for making metal statues  metalcrafting or blacksmith?
Pages: 1 [2] 3