Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Statues!  (Read 7528 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Statues!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 06:16:42 am »

blacksmithing
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 06:37:42 am »

Statues are affected by the history of your area as well as what happens in your fort.  I had one fort on a volcano where the only significant historical event was the visit of some damn Elf in the year 1, and that turned up on 20% of my statues, with almost half being about the mayor/expedition leader being chosen, or dwarves laboring to start the fortress.
My current fort in comparison has a long and bloody history of both a bronze collossus and an ettin tearing people up, and a nasty goblin-elf war.  The statues I get now are fantastic.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 06:38:37 am »

Thanks better get that trained for all those steel statues !

Just ordered 30 statues to be made shall see wha I get

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 10:04:28 am »

edit: in one of my forts i used statues as crosses. i built them over graves like so:

S_
 \_G|

i love this idea.  If you get a statue you want to give to a particular dwarf, you can then mark the coffin beneath as a tomb.  This would work well for an above ground fort.  For an undeground fort I imagine digging out a large room that opens into and underground cave and then doing the same thing.

Thank you. :) I prefer to build them in the caverns though, it gives you more options.. I can't just build a 3x3 wall with a coffin on it above-ground. I have to make a roof over it and then one thing leads to another resulting in this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Granted I LOVE building stuff like this!.. but sometimes simplicity is the answer.
 hm.. you know. i just noticed if there were an alcove on the back of the thing too, that'd come up to be 7 statues. I need to build a grave/shrine to the starting 7.  8)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 11:07:32 am »

See thats what dwarf fortresses is about not just hugh mega projects but simple things like a cool tomb!

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 01:34:52 pm »

I always put statues on the road to my depot, but since I've decided that I can't be much bothered with invaders, I'll also be putting the scary looking ones on the winding, trap-filled path I've designed.

Pre-EDIT: Damnit, I can't. I chose to spell out a giant FUCK YOU in different types of trap along the path. no statue-lining for me :(

*Wins the game*
GGHHHHHH. AAAAAG. DAMMIT. YOU BASTARD.

I lost the game.
me too :(
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: 1 2 [3]