Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast using equipment?!  (Read 4776 times)

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast using equipment?!
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:14:04 pm »

"The Forgotten Beast Asno Oguramxu has come! A huge humanoid composed of vomit. It has three long, curving horns and it undulates rhythmically. Beware its deadly dust!"

So, this guy appears in my third cavern layer. Not a big deal, I have a decent military, I know how to deal with deadly dust.

He moves off of the map for a while, and I get the notification that the named Olm Woman who killed an earlier Forgotten Beast has bled to death. I check the vomit beast when I see him again. He's a little banged up, and he's carrying a black-cap shield?

I check the black-cap shield, and it's got five kills on it, including the notable kill of the named Olm Woman.

Has anyone else seen a Forgotten Beast (Or Titan Maybe?) picking up and using equipment? It seems like not only has he picked up the shield (stolen from the olm people no doubt), but he used it as a weapon, won the battle, and is still carrying it. I suppose it makes sense at least, he is humanoid, but I've still never seen it happen.

Either way, it's terrifying to see them equipping themselves.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast using equipment?!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:30:03 pm »

It probably grabbed the shield, then wrestled it away from her.
It would have done the same thing with a sock, or a bluemetal sword.

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:44:27 pm »

"The Forgotten Beast Asno Oguramxu has come! A huge humanoid composed of vomit. It has three long, curving horns and it undulates rhythmically. Beware its deadly dust!"

So, this guy appears in my third cavern layer. Not a big deal, I have a decent military, I know how to deal with deadly dust.

He moves off of the map for a while, and I get the notification that the named Olm Woman who killed an earlier Forgotten Beast has bled to death. I check the vomit beast when I see him again. He's a little banged up, and he's carrying a black-cap shield?

I check the black-cap shield, and it's got five kills on it, including the notable kill of the named Olm Woman.

Has anyone else seen a Forgotten Beast (Or Titan Maybe?) picking up and using equipment? It seems like not only has he picked up the shield (stolen from the olm people no doubt), but he used it as a weapon, won the battle, and is still carrying it. I suppose it makes sense at least, he is humanoid, but I've still never seen it happen.

Either way, it's terrifying to see them equipping themselves.

seen a sock used. scary stuff...
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 08:52:49 pm »

Oh Armok help us, the socks...

I have nightmares about being killed by a sock to the face
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 10:50:17 pm »

"Homey don't play that!"
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 11:32:01 pm »

well, why shouldnt they be allowed to use equipment?

they are forgotten beasts... why shouldnt they maybe have some "forgotten artefacts items" or items from "forgotten material" where the knowledge how to make that material went lost...

could be a nice reward when they would be able to spawn with awesome stuff. (and awesomly more deadly)

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 12:10:28 am »

If it's a humanoid, it has grasping bodyparts. Not all body types contain a grasping appendage, as outlined by the raws. Most forgotten beasts will not be able to equip objects.

You may also someday see a sasquatch beating a dwarf to death with a pair of pants for the same reason. Your forgotten beast just got lucky enough to grab a fairly cool piece of equipment!

I think The Worst Thing was when a Bronze Colossus attacking my first human-style fortress obliterated my spear squad and used an artifact bronze spear to go house to house, breaking down the doors and skewering the inhabitants as they attempted to flee.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 12:31:14 am »

Once a colossus came. first he tramped a bunch of migrants and got The Sock.
Then he proceeded to human caravan and outpost liaison.

Combat log was like
The bronze colossus strikes The outpost liaison in the head with his (pig tail fiber sock), bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:42:32 am »

I like that the horse was notable while the human merchants were not. Dwarves love their pets, man!
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:46:28 am »

How do you guys check the kills on equipment?  :o

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 01:00:44 am »

(v)iew the unit holding it, look at its (i)nventory, (enter) the item description page, (v)iew the item details
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Iced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 01:42:52 am »

It's not that unusual. Hell, I once had a Yeti who pulled the trousers off my farmer and proceeded to beat him over the head with them. :-\

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 08:19:22 am »

Once had an FB vs a legendary olm women wrestler and a spearolm. For a year it was a deadlock. Then the FB got hold of the spear.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 08:24:25 am »

Had a troglodyte kill an animal trainer with his own silk cloak.  :-[

EDIT: SHIT SHE'S BACK SHE'S BEATING A DIAGNOSER TO DEATH WITH A SILK COAT
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:05:28 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 08:48:42 am »

I once had a werewolf turning into a real killing machine when it started hitting people with the mail shirt it stole from its first victim.
Pages: [1] 2 3