Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XVIII Game Over Scum Won! Happytown is now Scumville.  (Read 40932 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVIII -D2- Dark Clouds Descend
« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2010, 04:46:04 am »

I'm not sure how this works anymore with all these replacements. Can I just address things that they said before they were replaced or do they not apply anymore? After all, two people could act completely different and still be scum.
I just don't want to be pointing out someone's blunders to someone else and blame them for it, just because maybe the last person was an idiot.

You should in general base the main case on the replacement, but pay attention to the old behavior.  If the old behavior makes you think the original was scum, beat up the replacement until you're sure what their deal is.  No matter what, don't let them just lurk around and be disengaged.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2010, 04:49:40 am »

Thank you, that's helpful.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2010, 04:52:32 am »

Thank you, that's helpful.

You are very welcome.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2010, 04:56:29 am »

Trollan:
Why aren't you voting? If it's because of the random finger pointing, think about it; the whole game is based around it. It will always happen, really.
Because he was replaced by me.

Why did you just FOS/vote everyone in that post, with nothing to back it up, anyway?  What was your point?  Did you expect any of us to feel any pressure?

Voted for Ottofar. FOS'd everyone in jest. Didn't expect any of you to react really. :P

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2010, 12:41:41 pm »

OK, riddle me this, if you saw someone you were sure was town, and they were taking a lot of heat, would you either try and take heat off of them, or just sit back and watch them be lynched?
Riddle me this, when is this ever the case?  There are two ways:
1)  you're a cop with a innocent (except even then you're not sure, because of the godfather)
2)  you're scum.

And only one of those is townie.  One's not even possible since it was Day 1 yesterday.
My point being you can never be sure someone's town unless you're scum.

To answer your question, assuming you meant I was just pretty sure, then firstly I'd wait for that person to point out the issues in the attacker's arguments themselves, and then if they didn't do that, I'd attack whoever was giving them heat for BS arguments, since their arguments would have to be BS for me to be even pretty sure someone was town.
I don't really see the problem with the prediction there. I think he's basically saying: "Wouldn't that just be my luck if the mafia killed everyone I sided with?". I know it's a little out of place because mafia is "srs bsns" but seriously, why so serious?
It's a pretty weak point, I admit, but nevertheless it seems scummy to me.  Mostly because that's the kind thing I would have done as noobscum.  But it's a minor secondary point.
Oh and one more thing,
Mod/Zathras:  Could we get a lurkertracker report in here?  Things have been pretty inactive, and I'd like to know who's been lurkyest.
You know why it's been inactive? Holidays. People have families to see.
Yes.  That's where I've been.  But warhammer hasn't said anything relevant since the 21st.  And he was pretty useless before then too.  My point is that he hasn't really scumhunted.
The lurkertracker is just useful though, and that's why I want that.

Know what I'd like to know?  Why you just defended warhammer, Taco Dan.  It could be buddying, but since I think he's scum, I must conclude you're defending your scumbuddy.
Seriously, why did you feel the need to defend him?

Trollan:
Why aren't you voting? If it's because of the random finger pointing, think about it; the whole game is based around it. It will always happen, really.
Because he was replaced by me.

Why did you just FOS/vote everyone in that post, with nothing to back it up, anyway?  What was your point?  Did you expect any of us to feel any pressure?

Voted for Ottofar. FOS'd everyone in jest. Didn't expect any of you to react really. :P
That's what I thought, but it can never hurt to be sure.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2010, 01:14:51 pm »

You know what sucks? getting the Flu over the Holidays.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
First thing to address about your concerns, the lurkyness: as I said at the top of the post, I've been sick with the flu and most of my time has been spent sleeping or.. well sleeping.

As for the bad form question, I've read through a few games of Mafia, and in about 50% of the ones I've read people jumped on someone who wanted to lynch a person that wanted to lynch them. 9/10, the person reaction voting was a townie. I was just curious if there was any generally accepted etiquette involving this.

As for "taking the heat off of him"... not much of an excuse except to say it was a poor choice of words. I honestly thought he was innocent, and he was.

All I can manage right now. probably gonna head back to bed.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2010, 02:41:04 pm »

Mod, fling me the link to Scumchat please? I won't reveal their secrets, becuase this lot of town deserve it.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2010, 03:37:18 pm »

And now, a Public Service Announcement:
LurkerTracker® Happytown Edition
"To be happy for a day, get drunk. To be happy for a week, get money. To be happy for a year, get married. But to be happy for life, become a gardener." -- Ancient Chinese proverb

IC has 12 posts; the last 9 hours ago. Red text: Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12]
KaminaSquirtle has 14 posts; the last 1 hours ago. Red text: Warhammer Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14]
NativeForeigner has 18 posts; the last 74 hours ago. Red text: Akigagak Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18]
Ottofar has 9 posts; the last 56 hours ago. Red text: NativeForeigner. Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9]
Taco Dan has 10 posts; the last 9 hours ago. Red text: Muz Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10]
Zrk2 has 19 posts; the last 41 hours ago. Red text: Tacodan Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19]
lordnincompoop has 45 posts; the last 9 hours ago. Red text: Ottofar: Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19][20][21][22][23][24][25][26][27][28][29][30][31][32][33][34][35][36][37][38][39][40][41][42][43][44][45]
warhammer651 has 14 posts; the last 1 hours ago. Red text: Unvote Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14]

Akigagak: dead, town has 7 posts; the last 0 hours ago. Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7]

Moderator has 28 posts; the last 53 hours ago. Posts: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19][20][21][22][23][24][25][26][27][28]

Replacements considered: Trollan => KaminaSquirtle; Mindmaker => lordnincompoop; Muz => Zrk2; Vector => IC; Toaster => IC.
The Morgue: Akigagak: dead, town; Lordnincompoop: dead, town.

Moderator: please prod NativeForeigner, Ottofar, Zrk2. They haven't posted in over 36 hours.

Notes:
- The LurkerTracker seems to get confused by people replacing in for others after their own deaths. Lordnincompoop's posts above include both Mindmaker's and his own before his death, instead of having a line for him in the dead section. I also had to add him manually to the morgue.
- Toaster and Vector's posts are included in the IC line, but it probably should be sorted with the Moderator, not with the players.
- Clearly there are more improvements to be made... Stay tuned.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2010, 05:16:54 pm »

Warhammer, why are you defending Taco Dan?

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2010, 05:27:06 pm »

Warhammer, why are you defending Taco Dan?
I... what?
Could you please quote where I'm defending Taco, because to the best of my knowledge the only people I've defended are myself and pre-death Nincompoop

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2010, 05:41:39 pm »

Wait. You were defending yourself.

This is exactly why one shouldn't play mafia after 12pm.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2010, 07:15:28 pm »

Sorry everyone, been kind of hectic back in the RL.

Native Foreigner:[/color] Who are your top scum picks so far? Why?

I would have to say Zrk2 right now, as he seems to be avoiding attention by keeping his posts short, not doing much, and having little content in his posts. Then again, I also have to read a few things before I can be rock solid on that decision.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #222 on: December 27, 2010, 07:54:08 pm »

Know what I'd like to know?  Why you just defended warhammer, Taco Dan.  It could be buddying, but since I think he's scum, I must conclude you're defending your scumbuddy.
Seriously, why did you feel the need to defend him?
I'm sorry, I just thought your reasons weren't good enough when there are other people acting scummier.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet

Current Happytown VoteCount:

////////////////////////////////

KaminaSquirtle (0)
Lordnincompoop (0)
NativeForeigner (0)
Ottofar (1) - Lordnincompoop
Taco Dan (1) - Zrk2
Warhammer651 (2) - KaminaSquirtle, Ottofar
Zrk2 (1) - Taco Dan

Not Voting: NativeForeigner, Warhammer651

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Day Two ends Today at 10:00 PM EST!

...I hit modify instead of quote on the last votecount post.

whoops.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 27, 2010, 08:45:43 pm »

Wait. You were defending yourself.

This is exactly why one shouldn't play mafia after 12pm.
wait a second...

If Ottofar voted because of misreading an argument, why hasn't he changed his vote from me? This might be gross negligence on his part, but the fact that he noticed his mistake and didn't correct it strikes me as being rather scummy.

Ottofar
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22