Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why are they haunting me?  (Read 2708 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are they haunting me?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 06:20:18 pm »

hum dunno if this is a glitch or not, but my old military leader is the violent type, but only towards wildlife, and invader's, he's actually killed more goblins while dead then alive.
Nom nom nom

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 06:21:18 pm »

Oh my god ghosts are in? That's awesome, I didn't know he put those in. Do they only happen if you don't give dwarves graves? Because I want ghosts all over my fortress but I like having elaborate tombs.

Also I would have thought the type of ghost would be based on personality. Doesn't seem like Toady to make them completely random.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 06:25:49 pm »

This will be VERY interesting if Toady fleshes it out in the future releases. For example. A dead spouse would attempt to contact relatives, or the other way around, a particular ghost becoming famous and adventurers would be tasked to kill it. Although I don't know how the first one would work. And as for the second, what would be required to "kill" the ghost? May require some sort of wizard skill. Although this, if actually done, would be very far off.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 07:10:31 pm »

The problem was the horde of Goblins seemingly standing guard on the poor merchants body.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 12:35:34 am »

This will be VERY interesting if Toady fleshes it out in the future releases. For example. A dead spouse would attempt to contact relatives, or the other way around, a particular ghost becoming famous and adventurers would be tasked to kill it. Although I don't know how the first one would work. And as for the second, what would be required to "kill" the ghost? May require some sort of wizard skill. Although this, if actually done, would be very far off.

Ideas pertaining to those ideas:

For the first one it could be as simple as a message to a loved one stating "DwarfMcGhost has supernaturally contacted DwarfMcLover; DwarfMcLover was consoled by a dead relative" and give + to happiness or get rid of or weaken the loss of McGhost to begin with.  Or if the ghost was killed by McLover then it could be a message like "DwarfMcGhost has supernaturally contacted DwarfMcLover; DwarfMcLover has been intimidated by a dead relative" and could scare/sadden/trigger a strange mood in McLover.

For the second one it might require some alchemy skills.  For instance, a priest could bless water to make it holy water.  Combining this with iron shavings (As a lot of stories have supernatural entities hurt by iron) could be used as a thrown weapon that removes whatever it touches.  Then have normal non-blood combat rules apply.  Head being removed = no more ghost.

Or have thrown iron shavings stick to the ghost like fluids stick to solid entities.  Then an iron shaving covered arm for instance could be damaged like normal (Minus the blood).  Inflict enough damage and it will eventually die.  Combing supernatural lore with supernatural creatures makes sense and wouldn't require a wizard to remove the problem.  These ideas could even be implemented in both modes.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 06:07:59 am »

The problem was the horde of Goblins seemingly standing guard on the poor merchants body.

If your fortress is in lockdown and you can't physically get to the merchant's body, then you can still make and engrave a slab for the merchant. Once you install it somewhere (like a statue) the ghost should be put to rest, even if the body is still lying outside.

Do they only happen if you don't give dwarves graves?

I believe they also have a chance of haunting if a grave is present, but the coffin is empty (i.e. body destroyed or unreachable, preventing a "proper" burial). In such cases, slabs will still work to stop the haunting.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 07:07:47 am »

hum dunno if this is a glitch or not, but my old military leader is the violent type, but only towards wildlife, and invader's, he's actually killed more goblins while dead then alive.
Weaponization time! What's the description of the ghost, what's his personality, and where/how did he die? Ghosts as defenses have a number of advantages, being invincible and maintenance-free.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 11:09:19 am »

I want to be able to set up something like this.  The ghosts of my greatest dwarven warriors will defend my civilization for all time!

That is, until a mason comes along.  The ghost busters of the Dwarf Fortress world; they come in, build slabs and never cross the chisels.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 12:16:44 pm »

Hmm according to the Necromancer's Tower thread, ghosts were found not to kill other beings, only your dwarves? That's how I remember it anyway, the !!Science!! continues.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 06:47:56 am »

If your fortress is in lockdown and you can't physically get to the merchant's body, then you can still make and engrave a slab for the merchant.
What will be the best way if I do have physically access to the dead merchant's body?
I read the wiki but did not find any useful hints regarding ghosting merchants.

I build a burial receptacle inside my fortress but don't know how to configure it properly to get rid of the merchant's ghost who is very violent.

Thank you for helping
xelo
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:57:39 am by xelo »
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 04:03:32 pm »

If your fortress is in lockdown and you can't physically get to the merchant's body, then you can still make and engrave a slab for the merchant.
What will be the best way if I do have physically access to the dead merchant's body?
I read the wiki but did not find any useful hints regarding ghosting merchants.

I build a burial receptacle inside my fortress but don't know how to configure it properly to get rid of the merchant's ghost who is very violent.

Thank you for helping
xelo

Make a slab, engrave it at a craftsdwarves workshop

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 04:39:46 pm »

Awesome you necroed a thread about haunting.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 [2]