Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Powder Toy  (Read 55718 times)

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Powder Toy
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2010, 03:59:38 pm »

Man, I wasted a ton of time in this last night trying to figure out electricity, and wondering why my "ingenious" system wasn't working.

As I was taking my first wobbly steps into the game, I wound up making a box of solid wall filled with noble gas.  I marveled at the increase in pressure inside the box, and then I saw the little tidbit that noble gas turns to plasma when given a charge.  I then spent probably half an hour trying to get electricity to flow from my battery to my conductive wall through an insulated wire.  Yeah, that didn't work.  Eventually I switched from insulated wire to bare metal, and all was well.  I had ignition, and even better - the gas wasn't consumed in the process!  I also noticed that the temperature in the box had jumped to a few thousand degrees.  That gave me an idea!  Have the plasma-generating charge come in on the material that only passes charge if it's cold.  That way the plasma will only get triggered once, rather than continuously.  I figured that later on I'd find a way to cool the box down to wind up with a repeating process.

The problem was that everything stopped working after the initial sparking!  I couldn't figure it out.  Plus, some of the noble gas was becoming attached to the conductive material!  I didn't know what was going on.  Then I accidentally hovered over one of the particles and noticed it was not noble gas, but lava.  The temperature had risen to the point that it melted the cold-conducting particles!

Oops.

So much for that idea!

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2010, 04:35:06 pm »

Good bye sleep!  Two awesome games I've discovered on these forums within 12 hours...  this game is freakin awesome to mess around with.

Then I discovered Golem.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2010, 04:44:58 pm »

I just spent my afternoon improving a solar power generator design I saw.

"Sun"light heats up diamond to evaporate water to pass steam through a detector.

The problem with the design was is that it didn't bother condensing the steam back into water.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2010, 05:41:22 pm »

Finally got enough stable absolute zero deuterium to save some as a stamp.

Save as a stamp?  What is this beautiful thing you speak of?

Also, how do you guys keep making these incredibly tiny creations?  You're making contraptions that are maybe 20 pixels wide at most, and are doing them with complex inner designs.  Are my eyes bad, or is there a zoom feature I'm too stupid to see?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2010, 05:49:40 pm »

Also, how do you guys keep making these incredibly tiny creations?  You're making contraptions that are maybe 20 pixels wide at most, and are doing them with complex inner designs.  Are my eyes bad, or is there a zoom feature I'm too stupid to see?

Press Z.  When you have a zoom area you like, click, and then you can edit directly inside that window.

I only figured out the second half of that today.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2010, 05:53:24 pm »

I kept thinking this was just the Falling Sand game so I avoided this thread.  Good to see it's something I've never screwed around with.  Time to spend another night pretending to be a scientist like when I found that cake simulation thing.

Also, version 44 hopy shit.  That's a lot of revisions.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2010, 05:53:53 pm »

Man, I wasted a ton of time in this last night trying to figure out electricity, and wondering why my "ingenious" system wasn't working.

As I was taking my first wobbly steps into the game, I wound up making a box of solid wall filled with noble gas.  I marveled at the increase in pressure inside the box, and then I saw the little tidbit that noble gas turns to plasma when given a charge.

I've messed around with a similar thing too. I made a continuous plasma globe. :) Look up 'caz' on the server to find it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2010, 06:01:13 pm »

Are there any materials that emit photos when charged?  I can't find one, but can't think why it wouldn't be included.
(The new array material doesn't count).

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2010, 06:02:11 pm »

Save as a stamp?  What is this beautiful thing you speak of?

Also, how do you guys keep making these incredibly tiny creations?  You're making contraptions that are maybe 20 pixels wide at most, and are doing them with complex inner designs.  Are my eyes bad, or is there a zoom feature I'm too stupid to see?

Press Z.  When you have a zoom area you like, click, and then you can edit directly inside that window.

I only figured out the second half of that today.
Watch out though, the game seems to support quantum tunneling, since stuff will slowly leak trough a 1 tile wide wall.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2010, 06:03:31 pm »

Press S, drag a box around whatever you want to save. Press K to load a stamp.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2010, 06:37:59 pm »

Press S, drag a box around whatever you want to save. Press K to load a stamp.
And L to load the last saved/used stamp. You also have CTRL-C and CTRL-X for temporary versions of that (copy and cut, respectively), which can be pasted with CTRL-V.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2010, 06:43:07 pm »

This is pretty awesome.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2010, 02:22:18 am »

I just modified my water vapor cannon to shoot Cold Flame between 7000C and 9500C

I call it my irony cannon.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:34:04 am by Leonon »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2010, 05:22:39 pm »

I just modified my water vapor cannon to shoot Cold Flame between 7000C and 9500C

I call it my irony cannon.

*facepalm*
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2010, 08:34:11 pm »

How did you manage that? I got a cannon to shoot a weak spray of cold flame at about 400C, by surrounding it with white and black holes, and plasma cloners.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14