Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977863 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18945 on: July 22, 2018, 06:41:21 pm »

Sometimes I think that life is the only actually unequivocally cool thing in the universe. Like, neutron stars slamming into each other is pretty rad, but what good is it with nobody watching?
Life is cool in that it' the stsrt of a self-aware process, but we should really transition to something more resilient and efficient. Like, iunno, energy-based life?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18946 on: July 22, 2018, 06:45:57 pm »

Robots are cool. Reverting and stopping the ageing process to see how far the human mind can stand existence would be interesting too.

There was a special program with one of the myth buster guys about immortality, it was really nice.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18947 on: July 22, 2018, 10:29:46 pm »

Robots are cool. Reverting and stopping the ageing process to see how far the human mind can stand existence would be interesting too.

There was a special program with one of the myth buster guys about immortality, it was really nice.
Science is the only thing that can save humanity, yes.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18948 on: July 23, 2018, 01:49:30 am »

Not to be that guy, but.... do we need or deserve saving?  I'm personally of the opinion that we shouldn't leave earth until we learn to manage ourselves down here, because otherwise we just spread our misery to the stars.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18949 on: July 23, 2018, 01:52:30 am »

Eh, we don't owe the universe anything. We can despoil it as much as we want so long as it doesn't kill us.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18950 on: July 23, 2018, 01:54:47 am »

Eh, we don't owe the universe anything. We can despoil it as much as we want so long as it doesn't kill us.

My point is more that suffering is to be avoided, and joy is to be sought.  If the average human suffers more than they enjoy, then any expansion (such as on an entire extra world) simply increases the total suffering of our species, which is obviously bad.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18951 on: July 23, 2018, 01:56:57 am »

My point is more that suffering is to be avoided
Pffff, good luck.
Suffering is a necessary part of existence, and not bad.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18952 on: July 23, 2018, 02:19:37 am »

Pffff, good luck.

Often, yes.  But not all forms of suffering are the type that enrich our life stories and build character.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18953 on: July 23, 2018, 02:20:21 am »

Pffff, good luck.

I've heard this argument, and it sounds like the one a psychopath would make.  Some suffering is necessary to reap later joys, which produces a net gain in happiness. Anything which produces a net gain in suffering is morally and practically bad.  Something which produces improvements in us which increase our later enjoyment of life has produced a net gain of happiness.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18954 on: July 23, 2018, 02:24:16 am »

Anything which produces a net gain in suffering is morally and practically bad.
I do not agree with this statement.

It's fine for you to think it, but remember that it's subjective.

More to the point, though, it's also useless for you to think that, because, in practice, suffering is inevitable. Nothing you believe will result in less suffering.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:26:35 am by Maximum Spin »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18955 on: July 23, 2018, 02:31:14 am »

My take is enrichment and fulfillment are more important than happiness, and completely separate from any individual emotion or type of experience.  It takes variety and reflection.  Suffering is a vital component, because they're all vital components.  But it takes reflection and contrast with other experiences to get anything out of that suffering.  Without that, suffering is just suffering.  And no... not just because bad times help you appreciate good times more, thereby increasing happiness.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18956 on: July 23, 2018, 02:37:50 am »

Interesting. My take is that all experiences are equally valuable as ends in themselves, although I do personally like reflecting on things even though I don't assign it a special moral value. Although reflection is, of course, valuable as an experience and thus sort of a bonus to the original experience, in a way. I also consider inevitable things to be morally necessary.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18957 on: July 23, 2018, 02:40:44 am »

At the very least, so long as you have a physical body you'll require a sense of pain, lest you carelessly break yourself.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18958 on: July 23, 2018, 05:30:31 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:59:21 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18959 on: July 23, 2018, 06:07:38 am »

Pain is a necessary warning indicator to encourage an action in order to avoid that pain. Example: You are sitting on a nail. Sitting on nails is bad for your health, so your body has adapted a pain response that encourages you to get off of the nail and avoid sitting on it again in the future.

However, trying to justify that the experience of pain is necessary or desirable in and of itself is a bit faulty, as that's a bit like coming up to a sign that says "WARNING: Rocks fall on this location!", commenting to yourself "Hmm, this sign is good and necessary" and then just standing there admiring the sign while rocks fall on the location and kill you.

Pain without context is not necessary, ethical, or desirable. And this is coming from someone who self-harms.
Pages: 1 ... 1262 1263 [1264] 1265 1266 ... 1420