Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976502 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18030 on: September 04, 2017, 04:57:54 pm »

I wonder if the locals would be happy to see extinct megafauna reintroduced to places like Siberia, Canada, and Alaska; or if they would resist it because they would probably be both very dangerous, and illegal to disturb. It's one thing to be protecting the existing moose and bears, but another to deliberately introduce totally new critters. But on the other hand, I'm sure there's plenty of people who would love nothing more than to go out and hunt them, which may well be possible years down the line when a stable population exists. They might even have to hunt some of them, they don't make large predators like they used to.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18031 on: September 04, 2017, 05:07:32 pm »

Not a problem - there's serious discussion of resurrecting cave lions.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18032 on: September 04, 2017, 05:14:05 pm »

Revive every organism the earth has ever known and let them fight it out! ;P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18033 on: September 04, 2017, 05:24:28 pm »

Not a problem - there's serious discussion of resurrecting cave lions.

That's scientists talking about cloning them to study in captivity though, not Siberians talking about whether or not they want there to be lions roaming around their land. Even just bringing wolves back to Yellowstone was pretty controversial, and both sides will probably agree that the decision to go through with it was made for them more than it was made by them.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #18034 on: September 04, 2017, 05:33:13 pm »

I wouldn't say "totally new" critters wrangle island still had mammoths until what, 8,000 years ago? They would at least make Siberia less boring. And ground sloths were some of the last big critters that is humans gobbled up.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18035 on: September 04, 2017, 06:36:32 pm »

Oh yeah I meant Scottish highland cattle. We will have aurochsen as well though (which used to be a native species), Dutch company is re-breeding them into existence by crossing Scottish highlanders with Pajuna en Sayaguesa (spanish cows) and Maramanna primitivo (italian cows).

A herd much like the extinct aurochesen is expected to be ready in about 15 years.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18036 on: September 04, 2017, 06:47:39 pm »

Who cares what the humans think? Pandering to their whims and opinions is how the world got in such a sorry state to begin with.
Bring back the dinosaurs! Bring back everything!

In my Terrified: I planned on having a quick shower before going to my appointment (to receive my brand-new, super-stylish hearing aids) but it is cold as shit and it's a miracle I managed to force myself out of bed so early and I'm running out of time and showers in cold weather always take far longer than they should. :-[   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18037 on: September 04, 2017, 08:37:42 pm »

I wouldn't say "totally new" critters wrangle island still had mammoths until what, 8,000 years ago? They would at least make Siberia less boring. And ground sloths were some of the last big critters that is humans gobbled up.
I remember hearing that some kind of mammoth could still exist in the remote areas of Siberia, not sure if true or not

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18038 on: September 04, 2017, 09:49:43 pm »

Just don't bring back ancient Australia. the world is better off without giant carnivorous kangaroos.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18040 on: September 05, 2017, 04:38:11 pm »

I remember hearing that some kind of mammoth could still exist in the remote areas of Siberia, not sure if true or not

About as true as bigfoot, or the loch ness monster, I'd imagine...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18041 on: September 05, 2017, 04:46:00 pm »

They never said it was LIKELY, they just said it was POSSIBLE, while loch ness monster isn't, although Bigfoot is POSSIBLE, although how it could be in North America is the odd part

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18042 on: September 05, 2017, 04:53:06 pm »

They never said it was LIKELY, they just said it was POSSIBLE, while loch ness monster isn't, although Bigfoot is POSSIBLE, although how it could be in North America is the odd part

It's POSSIBLE that Diane Kruger will burst through my front door and ravish me, too. It's just... unlikely
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18043 on: September 05, 2017, 05:09:55 pm »

Fourty minus one and counting

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #18044 on: September 07, 2017, 07:50:25 am »

I visited a car factory today. Who knew industrial robots would be so creepy when they work? Constant mechanical whining, movement completely alien to a human limb and sparks flying everywhere. They're certainly not the humble, docile machines they're presented as in media.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 ... 1420