Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1971617 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17505 on: January 29, 2017, 12:33:41 pm »

Just put yourself in a box with a label on it saying that opening it will probably see you dead.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17506 on: January 29, 2017, 09:00:36 pm »

So it's shrodinger's fapmaster then? :v
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17507 on: January 29, 2017, 10:48:08 pm »

About to set off, to catch a bus and then another bus, deep into unfamiliar territory with the aim of making a social arrangement at 4PM in the hopes of finding a room to rent. Um. The possibility of missing a stop and getting lost is one part of the Terror, then there's having to meet these potential housemates and attempt to make a good impression, and then of course there's the underlying terror of not being able to get a place. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17508 on: January 29, 2017, 11:53:14 pm »

I started reading more about hikikomori, a phenomena mostly associated with Japan where young adults (also called hikikomori) withdraw from society, living in extreme confinement and solitude. It's fascinating to me, I don't know why.

I discovered a new thing: A company called Avex Group produced a DVD to help hikikomori titled miteru dake, "Just Looking". It's a two-hour-long video of various attractive women against a plain background doing that: just looking. It's supposed to help extreme hermits and shy people deal with the pressure of eye contact and a person expecting social interaction.

I have no idea if it works, but the effect is kind of creepy. I certainly hope you're not intended to watch the whole thing in one sitting.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #17509 on: January 30, 2017, 03:11:11 am »

Basement Dweller is basically Western hikikomori (I'm basement dweller myself).

~ Sincerely,
Captain Obvious.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17510 on: January 31, 2017, 12:30:52 pm »

*hugs Caz*

Imagine everyone is cabbages.

YES. Thanks. :)

I don't wanna go to court man T_T. *ineffectual whingeing*

They'll be like 'eh so caz, do you promise to tell the whole truth and gkgfdlij and dsndskgjfnkfjj and you have to repeat this all btw?'

And i'll be like 'srefdssdfsdf words?'

And then they'll ask questions and i'll be like 'lol wat' because my brain has thankfully lost the ability to store and recall memories.

Bla.

If you don't kind me asking, why are you going to court?

Summoned as witness for a violence. Actually it's pretty modern and strange - witnessing a violence through a video chat. (Yes, of course I don't actually leave the house ever) But because of that I had to cancel a travel and return just for the court date to be postponed. Also the court is in the literal middle of nowhere. Not sure why they build it in somewhere that will fall into the sea.

Basically I just gotta go and be like 'yea, that was the violence and I saw it'. Idk how the dude would even get out of it tbh, the other evidence is huge compared to whatever.

Though I'm still not sure what to wear. What are court-smart clothes? Suit or smt? Why do I own none of this apparel. How do you spell apparel. D/w i'll turn up like something from jeremy kyle show all 'awrite mate'

Fml

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17511 on: January 31, 2017, 12:40:09 pm »

You're just a witness, you don't even have to wear formal clothing, normal clothing is fine, altough I recommend wearing the kind of clothing you'd wear for a job interview or a business meeting, IE something formal. You just don't want to show up to court shirtless or looking like a bum, or something, and even then the worst that can happen because of that is having people look at you funny and maybe an appropriate comment by the judge.

Just be chill and tell the judge what you know according to what you're asked about. If you really don't remember something, just say you don't remember, better to say that than to risk unintetionaly lying.

Also, remember that the judge is your friend, since he/she is there to make sure you're questioned and treated fairly, after all, you're just a witness. Just follow the judge's lead and he/she should painlessly guide you through it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 12:42:05 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17512 on: January 31, 2017, 01:15:08 pm »

Also, you can answer how you like - you don't have to answer yes or no if someone asks you yes or no.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17513 on: January 31, 2017, 02:43:15 pm »

Though, uh, don't lie. You're allowed to not say something in court, but you can't say something untrue. They'll get you for perjury.

E: Misunderstood TBF.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17514 on: January 31, 2017, 02:57:01 pm »

One subject of note is that of the "hostile witness". Normally, nobody is permitted to ask leading questions such as "What made you want to beat your wife" unless your desire for wife-beating had already been established. However, should a witness be judged to be biased against the prosecution or defense, that side may ask for them to be declared hostile, and they do not necessarily have to let you know that.

In that instance, they will be allowed to ask leading questions and any presumptions affirmed by those answers will be accepted as true, under the logic that someone who is hostile to one side of the case could not be tricked into answering a leading question unless it was true.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17515 on: January 31, 2017, 03:57:08 pm »

I started reading more about hikikomori, a phenomena mostly associated with Japan where young adults (also called hikikomori) withdraw from society, living in extreme confinement and solitude. It's fascinating to me, I don't know why.

I discovered a new thing: A company called Avex Group produced a DVD to help hikikomori titled miteru dake, "Just Looking". It's a two-hour-long video of various attractive women against a plain background doing that: just looking. It's supposed to help extreme hermits and shy people deal with the pressure of eye contact and a person expecting social interaction.

I have no idea if it works, but the effect is kind of creepy. I certainly hope you're not intended to watch the whole thing in one sitting.
STARING

ALWAYS STARING

AAAAAAAUGH

they know what I did they know they know they know how do they know
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17516 on: January 31, 2017, 07:24:26 pm »

How would you go about teaching social skills to hikkomoris who have missed out so much?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17517 on: January 31, 2017, 07:29:33 pm »

with rolled up newspaper

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17518 on: January 31, 2017, 08:09:59 pm »

How would you go about teaching social skills to hikkomoris who have missed out so much?
I could be misreading, but I had a similar reaction...
I don't think it was a complaint of the technique.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17519 on: February 01, 2017, 10:42:17 am »

You're just a witness, you don't even have to wear formal clothing, normal clothing is fine, altough I recommend wearing the kind of clothing you'd wear for a job interview or a business meeting, IE something formal. You just don't want to show up to court shirtless or looking like a bum, or something, and even then the worst that can happen because of that is having people look at you funny and maybe an appropriate comment by the judge.

Just be chill and tell the judge what you know according to what you're asked about. If you really don't remember something, just say you don't remember, better to say that than to risk unintetionaly lying.

Also, remember that the judge is your friend, since he/she is there to make sure you're questioned and treated fairly, after all, you're just a witness. Just follow the judge's lead and he/she should painlessly guide you through it.

All this. Though, if you were the defendant, I'd have some recommendations. Since I've been a defendant before, it would start like this.

NEVER WEAR ORANGE. Judges associate that with criminals. Replace orange with whatever color the uniform of prisoners/jailed-persons in your area/country is. Black and white stripes, for an old-tyme example.

Dress nicely, but not overly nice. Wear a suit and tie, but take the suit jacket off, kind of thing. Makes you seem well mannered, responsible, but also human and relatable.

Wear glasses, even if you aren't needing them. It makes you seem harmless, weak, and in need of allies.

Show emotional responses to disturbing accusations ("The defendant then proceeded to break down their door and assault them!" -gasps in shock, shakes head-)

Basically try to manipulate basic psychology and body language to make yourself appear less convictable, because if you're a defendant, you don't need to think about "Did I do it?" you need to think about "How do I make these people do what I want them to do, which is release me from these charges?"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 1420