Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1148 1149 [1150] 1151 1152 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969560 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17235 on: December 09, 2016, 07:21:56 pm »

Sure. What type of upbringing did you have if you don't even know what a cthorse is?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17236 on: December 09, 2016, 07:26:10 pm »

Or My Little Pulu

(I fear HPL is cursing me from beyond the grave now for daring to associate his brilliant work with the horror from teh depth that is MLP)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 07:31:47 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17237 on: December 09, 2016, 08:22:10 pm »

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:26:29 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17238 on: December 10, 2016, 03:52:19 pm »

The fact that according to Neil degrade Tyson we live in a multiverse.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17239 on: December 10, 2016, 04:00:32 pm »

Why does that scare you?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17240 on: December 10, 2016, 04:05:09 pm »

... degrade?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17241 on: December 10, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »

Yeah, it's a new show where a dude named Neil constantly insults and belittles another dude named Tyson.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17242 on: December 10, 2016, 05:41:15 pm »

This isn't the laugh thread, folks. Time to be serious! >:(
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17243 on: December 10, 2016, 07:29:01 pm »

Why does that scare you?
well, let me put it like this;

As human beings we have an articulate talent. Movies, art, creativity is what I'm getting at here. But, when creativity gets pulled from fiction to fact, I think terrible things happen as a result. Of course you could and may well call this stupid, but... that's just think about if all the movies you ever watched were real, to an extent. Or at least could be. I don't know, this sounds like paranoid rambling but it's like playing dice with the universe so to speak, or vice versa. One of Albert Einstein greatest quotes is that God does not play dice with the universe. Doing that, especially by man's own production, is what scares me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17244 on: December 10, 2016, 07:31:42 pm »

That doesn't make any sense. How does human creativity have anything to do with being a multiverse or not? Even if there was some other universe which was identical to some fictional setting, it's existence wouldn't be contingent on the creative work; AKA: that universe would exist (or not) regardless of whether the work of fiction existed (or not)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17245 on: December 10, 2016, 07:53:25 pm »

Furthermore, the multiverse doesn't actually guarantee that any possible universe exists - there still might be an underlying order, such as "gravity exists in all universes" or "entropy is always increasing", that cannot be violated. Magic, likewise, doesn't have to exist. (Magic of improbability might, such as "knowing what card you picked", but magic of impossibility (making things fly) probably doesn't.)
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17246 on: December 10, 2016, 08:43:04 pm »

Furthermore, the multiverse doesn't actually guarantee that any possible universe exists - there still might be an underlying order, such as "gravity exists in all universes" or "entropy is always increasing", that cannot be violated. Magic, likewise, doesn't have to exist. (Magic of improbability might, such as "knowing what card you picked", but magic of impossibility (making things fly) probably doesn't.)
magic of making things fly totally exists. Its called dynamite

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17247 on: December 10, 2016, 08:49:07 pm »

magic of making things fly totally exists. Its called dynamite
No, that's the magic of Rapid Explosive Combustion. Making things fly is the magic of Aerodynamics.
Sigtext!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17248 on: December 11, 2016, 01:57:17 am »

I prefer the term birb magic.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17249 on: December 11, 2016, 03:20:27 pm »

As human beings we have an articulate talent.
... You've put words together here, but they don't actually make any sense. "articulate talent?" Unless you mean we have good voice actors.

Movies, art, creativity is what I'm getting at here. But, when creativity gets pulled from fiction to fact, I think terrible things happen as a result.
Yeah, now you don't have to carry a laptop everywhere if you want to internet or read things, that's terrible #sarcasm

Of course you could and may well call this stupid, but...
You've allowed yourself to become terrified by movies, I guess?

that's just think about if all the movies you ever watched were real, to an extent.

Or at least could be. I don't know, this sounds like paranoid rambling but it's like playing dice with the universe so to speak, or vice versa. One of Albert Einstein greatest quotes is that God does not play dice with the universe. Doing that, especially by man's own production, is what scares me.

Ehm. That's not one of his greatest quotes. It's one of his more well-known ones, because he was wrong about it. See quantum mechanics. The universe is not deterministic. Also it has nothing to do with what you are saying...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 1148 1149 [1150] 1151 1152 ... 1420