Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1962453 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #16650 on: August 27, 2016, 12:05:31 pm »

Ehm, are not you as manager part of middle class?

I've been a manager for about a year.  Making a little bit above median household income.  But I'm the only income for my family, and we built up a lot of debt prior to this.  Just 3 years ago, I was making half what I am now, with most of the same expenses.  Even now, half my pay still goes to rent.  And healthcare costs here are extreme.  Like one ambulance ride can be worth a few months of my full pay.  A minor doctor's visit to get an easily identifiable diagnosis, note, and prescription may not be so bad... but anything beyond that explodes.  It took me years to pay off my last hospital stay.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16651 on: August 27, 2016, 12:58:36 pm »

I've had a lot of sleep paralysis experiences (mostly in the early morning), and yeah, for me they're definitely mostly  negative and frightening, nearly always as far as I can remember involving either a sense of an abstract but notably "evil" (though the words I feel would describe it the best would be "malevolently oppressive") presence, either directly at me, in the doorway, or somewhere right outside the room, or the feeling of somebody sitting on top of me or holding me down and preventing me from moving. A lot of time these experiences happen at the end of a night of repetitive nightmares as well. Sometimes I feel as it is triggered by me waking up "in the mind", so to speak, and really not wanting to go back to sleep again, but then not actually being able to wake up and having to struggle against my body not moving while drifting in and out of "dreaming". Occasionally it will be accompanied by repeated dreams of me being able to get out of bed before realising I'm actually still stuck in bed, unable to move, repeating the same thing over and over.

It is definitely some of the most lucid dream experiences I've had - during them, I always feel completely lucid and aware (though when I think back at them when actually awake they're just as easy to see that they're dreams as ordinary dreams are) in a way that is completely different from how I feel during ordinary dreams and nightmares. However, I also don't experience any sense of control over what is happening in the dream like how most people describe "lucid dreaming" (although I am torn about what people say about "lucid dreaming" in general, feeling that people seem to be exaggerating the experience vastly, as my own experiences with what I feel is the most like what people describe "lucid dreaming" to be like is more like "dreaming that I have control over my dreams" than actually having control over my dreams).

There have been times when I've experienced something sleep paralysis-ish of a more neutral nature, which mostly involves me doing the whole "feeling I can't move -> feeling of desperately struggling to move -> dreams of waking up and going about my business -> sudden realisation that I'm just dreaming and still can't move" circle except with a feeling of extreme unsatisfaction rather than dread. These usually happen if I've laid down and fallen asleep by mistake in the evening or afternoon though, and I'm not sure if I stay asleep long enough for my body to go into the actual "cease movement" stage during what is essentially overlong naps, so I'm not sure if those are cases of actual sleep paralysis or just my dreams being weird. I do have the same "dream of waking up/realising I'm still asleep" routine without the whole feeling of not being able to move, so I know there's at least a difference in experience between the two, however.

But yeah, the ones that happen in the morning are a lot more intense and I can't remember any which haven't been scary or dreadifying. Usually I am filled with a prolonged sense of fear even after finally waking up from them (when I can actually realise that they were dreams), but it has never been bad enough that I've feared going to sleep again the next night. A lot of times the memory fades in a few hours just like any other kind of dream.
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16652 on: August 27, 2016, 02:44:30 pm »

Hmm. Maybe I should try doing sleep paralysis. My dreaming mind is really chill with just about anything that happens in my dreams, so even if I feel the intruder, I might just be able to rationalize that as "pretty cool really."

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16653 on: August 27, 2016, 03:54:41 pm »

Having an internal crisis again about whether the subject I've been studying for the past two years is actually the field that I want to work in or not. I mean I really do like working with computers and my skills are well suited to it, but sometimes I feel like I could be doing something more... I don't know how to put it. Useful? In the last year of high school I picked up a fascination with biology and biomedical engineering, but I didn't follow up on it because I have issues with labwork and some other reasons. But at the same time I have some personal investment to matters that I could potentially encounter in that field, and being able to help people or even just study would be...

Ugh I just feel so lost when I worry about this stuff. I've already invested so much at this point though and I just don't know where I'm going with this.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16654 on: August 27, 2016, 03:56:30 pm »

Computers are useful.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16655 on: August 27, 2016, 03:57:57 pm »

I don't know, there are a fair amount of unemployed people who work with computers. And those who do seem to be unhappy dumbasses with Stockholm Syndrome.

Well, I guess "unhappy dumbasses with Stockholm Syndrome" more or less sums up humanity and our willingness to put up with bullshit rather than kill the offender.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16656 on: August 27, 2016, 03:59:02 pm »

Humanity sucks yeah.

(that's a pun btw)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16657 on: August 27, 2016, 05:01:09 pm »

Having an internal crisis again about whether the subject I've been studying for the past two years is actually the field that I want to work in or not. I mean I really do like working with computers and my skills are well suited to it, but sometimes I feel like I could be doing something more... I don't know how to put it. Useful? In the last year of high school I picked up a fascination with biology and biomedical engineering, but I didn't follow up on it because I have issues with labwork and some other reasons. But at the same time I have some personal investment to matters that I could potentially encounter in that field, and being able to help people or even just study would be...

Ugh I just feel so lost when I worry about this stuff. I've already invested so much at this point though and I just don't know where I'm going with this.
Then combine the two, create cyborgs
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16658 on: August 27, 2016, 05:51:27 pm »

How about bioinformatics?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: August 30, 2016, 06:26:53 pm »

Nuuuuuuu :(

Hope you're actually okay, dude.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16660 on: August 30, 2016, 10:04:40 pm »

As a biker, fuck gravel, fuck sand, and fuck rain.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16661 on: August 31, 2016, 12:34:45 am »

Rain is fine.  It can't surprise you with sudden loss of traction.

And yes - wear gear.  It makes a huge difference.  I've walked away uninjured from an accident at 40 mph that total'd my bike.  I hear so much bullshit from people who don't want to wear gear about how they think it doesn't make a difference anyway, but it absolutely does.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16662 on: August 31, 2016, 12:42:51 am »

Gear is a pain in the ass in hot weather though.

But yes, at least rain is predictable. You know there's no traction.

Though driving through the rain at night down a road where there's a good chance of pedestrians of all species at any time is terrifying.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16663 on: August 31, 2016, 07:15:37 am »

Gear is a pain in the ass in hot weather though.

Yeah, true... a mesh jacket is nice in hot weather, but I don't feel nearly as safe wearing it.

Though driving through the rain at night down a road where there's a good chance of pedestrians of all species at any time is terrifying.

Also true... and I'm sure that's a much more serious problem in India than in Indiana.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:54:05 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16664 on: August 31, 2016, 07:31:10 am »

Mesh is probably better than street clothes, at least, but you really really do need proper riding clothes. It's one of the downsides to riding bikes -- if you want to keep your skin, you're probably going to sweat a bit more than most folks on the hot days.*

Actually got a system for it, myself -- if they're missing helmet or jacket (or wearing shorts, for some ungodly reason), they're half stupid. If they're missing both, they're all stupid. Lotta' bikers out there that don't have much appreciation for their precious, precious skin, nor their brainmeats.

*Though it does look like we've got some cooling jacket type stuff floating around these days. No clue what the cost/effectiveness/etc. looks like, but they're out there. Probably would have to invest a bit into some if I ever started riding, tbh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1109 1110 [1111] 1112 1113 ... 1420