Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1963882 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #16185 on: May 27, 2016, 10:28:51 am »

I really wish I could get over my arachnophobia.
I realize it's an entirely irrational learned response. On a conscious level, I think spiders are cool and neat and deserving of respect. Sometimes they're cute! House spiders are like surprise free pets who clean up annoying pests and don't make a mess.

...But then when I actually encounter one, something in the back of my brain invariably just freaks out. Not because I'm afraid of being bitten because that's stupid and I'm not. No, it's 100% mortal panic that this tiny harmless creature might crawl on me with its legs. Aaaaah!
Even the best case scenario of trying to share a room with one involves me looking at it every few seconds to make sure I know where it is because the fearbrain is like "this is really really important". ::)

Tarantulas don't trigger this at all because they're honorary mammals anyway, and tiny jumping spiders get a pass probably because I used to play with them as a kid. Everything in between, though, especially of the web-spinning variety...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XyH8MJARcM
tl;dr being afraid of spiders is not really irrational.
>_>
The fear of anything isn't irrational--it's the application of that fear is where it begins to be irrational, which hearkens to the roots of fear, in which the fear of a thing is actually a fear of the applications of the concept itself.

You can get over this, DeKaFu. Wishing for something doesn't mean it's impossible--work towards what is possible. ;3
Personally got arachnophobia, but it's more with webspinners until I learned more.

I'm terrified. Terrified of how the lack of thinking can create scenarios and experiences that don't promote or progress growth. It's a psychological fear; seeing implicitly that there is a lack in others that they don't notice--while one can do something about it, it's rather the fear towards this lack existing in a person's life for a prolonged time that they don't notice it.

ManMan

• Bay Watcher
  • I will not be very active till this text goes away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16186 on: May 27, 2016, 10:44:59 am »

What scares me about spiders, or small living things in general, is that they could get anywhere. And for some reason, I have a VERY hard time killing them, especially when they can fly or when they are bigger than uh... two ants.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16187 on: May 27, 2016, 11:18:36 am »

Hilariously after just spending like half an hour googling proof that you shouldn't be afraid of spiders, a great big cellar spider popped out of a box near my bed and I proceeded to lose my shit.

I don't want to be a hypocrite and yet here I am... ;-;

Spindly spiders are the worst with their spindly legs that look like hairs and hairs shouldn't move on their own what if it walks on me with its walking hairs and I die

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16188 on: May 27, 2016, 04:21:00 pm »

GET AWAY THAT IS SURELY A SPINDLY RECLUSE IT WILL KILL U AND UR EVERYBODIES
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16189 on: May 27, 2016, 04:22:02 pm »

Tbh I don't see the big deal, I've been doing my best to cultivate the return of spider broods in my house for the past two years

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16190 on: May 27, 2016, 06:19:36 pm »

Food for thought: You are much, much more likely to be bitten by a cat than a spider, and cat bites are also more likely to result in medically significant reactions than spider bites are.

Does that mean cat phobias are even more normal and rational than spider phobias?
But cats are warm and cuddly, spiders are cold and evil.

Tbh I don't see the big deal, I've been doing my best to cultivate the return of spider broods in my house for the past two years
I had spiders in my bed for a long while, it was not pleasant, 0/10 would not recommend
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #16191 on: May 27, 2016, 06:34:40 pm »

i am also afraid of spiders

It is particularly silly here in Denmark, because we have zero dangerous spider species in the wild. If any one of them bites you here, it'll hurt, and that's that. Much like DeKaFu though, spiders crawling on me WILL make me react explosively, at least once i become aware of it. Possibly the most dastardly occasion of this was when i was in Spain, at night, sleeping. Something tickled on my upper back/neck, so i swept the spot with my hand and felt something spindly getting crushed by my thumb against the pillow (normally i'd only ever dare to poke a spider with a long stick). It was pitch black, so i turned on the lights, and lo and behold, a very dead daddy longlegs was now squished against my pillow BY THE POWER OF MY THUMB. That thing was crawling on my back. Suffice to say, i didn't sleep well that night. >.>
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16192 on: May 27, 2016, 06:41:27 pm »

I had spiders in my bed for a long while, it was not pleasant, 0/10 would not recommend
You didn't demarciate personal boundaries with your spiders.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16193 on: May 27, 2016, 07:55:40 pm »

LW I'm sorry but Lolth only wants priestesses.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16194 on: May 27, 2016, 08:14:14 pm »

Bah, petty elf gods have no command over terrestial spiders of material skill - Lolth's claim over their silkcraft is usurpation of an empty title, before, during and after Lolth's existence, the spider always spins its silk.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16195 on: May 27, 2016, 08:24:52 pm »

I mean
In our campaign Lolth was long dead, until we basically made a new one by dropping a decanter of endless spiders in a terrifying biome with a "swarmmind" effect.

Fuck that campaign was weird sometimes.

But yeah you're right.  Gods come and go, spiders are forever.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16196 on: May 27, 2016, 08:36:59 pm »

Gods come and go, spiders are forever.
So sig worthy

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16197 on: May 27, 2016, 10:46:05 pm »

Spiders are great. Flies are getting into our house. Today I found a fly got stuck in a spiderweb hanging in the corner of a window, and the spider resident was dealign with the fly. Spider was pretty tiny compared to the fly as well, it was a spindly little spider where the legs look like itty bitty hairs. Spider went and got the fly to stop moving and twitching, then dragged it away to a corner for safe-keeping and eating.

One less fly for me to hunt down with a flyswatter, free food for the itsy bitsy spider to last a while, everyone wins. Except the fly. No one cares about the fly though.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16198 on: May 28, 2016, 12:50:16 am »

decanter of endless spiders

this is the best magic item

now i want to necro the silly/useless magic item thread again
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16199 on: May 28, 2016, 12:53:28 am »

decanter of endless spiders

this is the best magic item

now i want to necro the silly/useless magic item thread again
Doh eet
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 1420