Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1968221 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #14490 on: October 14, 2015, 07:53:14 pm »

True. However, I'd like to find a good death after a nice long life. Certainly to live forever wouldn't be to my preference, but a few centuries beyond the norm could be great fun.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14491 on: October 14, 2015, 08:07:33 pm »

I can't do things when I'm dead.  There are many things I want to do.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14492 on: October 14, 2015, 08:19:20 pm »

I'll die when the universe dies. ... If I HAVE to.

Until then, nah, I'm good.

Besides, as an atheist, the only knowledge I have of life after death is a) I'll burn in hell or various myriad punishments according to each religion, excepting those that are b) miscellaneous non-punishments, including reincarnation and the like, or c) oblivion. With, obviously as an atheist, a rather large weighting on c. I suppose there's a D of "none of the above," as an example, for all I know, when I die, I'll pop out of a simulator as a particularly bored student in a futuristic history class that gets you to live a (presumably average, I dunno, I'm only 22) life at some turning point in history. Literally no way to know.

None of those are all that entertaining for me (except maybe that last one?), considering the alternative of staying in this universe for a long while.

It's kind of a mix of "better the devil you know/the undiscovered country" and "but I'm not dooooone here!"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14493 on: October 14, 2015, 08:27:28 pm »

Dead'd be pretty alright. Don't expect to live much past 60, if that, anyway. And I've done all I really care to, t'be honest. More wouldn't be too bad, but I met my minimum for a cheerful end years ago. Not that there was much of a checklist.

Still, sticking around would be alright, too, I guess. I'd just like to sleep for maybe a few centuries, see if my species can sort its shit out a bit before getting back into things. Don't even remotely have the energy to help out on that front anymore, though, so trudging through all this junk is just kinda' tiresome...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14494 on: October 14, 2015, 08:35:31 pm »

I'm ok with death regardless of what I get (or don't get) out of it. My view on death is very similar to Helgo's, death is a part of life, and dying well is almost as important and having a good life, IE one that is somewhat confortable/fun and in which I can be useful to others. It does help that I'm a reincarnationist, too :v
Now I just need to find out how to be useful to others in death, as well :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14495 on: October 14, 2015, 08:39:16 pm »

Give body to science, mostly. I think there's a few companies out there that do arts and crafts with human remains, too. And there's always fertilizer.
Ask not!
Ask!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14496 on: October 14, 2015, 08:49:44 pm »

There's always something to live for. Personally, I don't plan to die until I've built Dyson Spheres around every star in the milky way. potentially by hand.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14497 on: October 14, 2015, 09:07:15 pm »

I can't do things when I'm dead.  There are many things I want to do.
I don't mean to offend, but that strikes me as a fairly primitive view of death. If you live mostly to continue living, why do you want to continue living in the first place? Sure, you can't do things once you're dead - but as long as you live, you can do stuff with your life, quite literally. Do you really believe there's nothing worth dying for?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14498 on: October 14, 2015, 09:11:28 pm »

Anything worth dying for is worth living for, and you can do a lot more doing the latter *shrugs*
Ask not!
Ask!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14499 on: October 14, 2015, 09:12:36 pm »

I'd much rather survive finding something worth dying for. If I find a way to make a heroic sacrifice, then a way of getting almost the same thing and live, I'm pretty sure I know what I'd choose.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14500 on: October 14, 2015, 09:17:20 pm »

I'm not talking about a heroic sacrifice - I'm talking about catching a bullet at a demonstration, or getting on the wrong side of some neo-nazi thugs. Not sacrificing your life, but knowingly putting it at great risk.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14501 on: October 14, 2015, 09:19:02 pm »

With the right tech, I can die for what I believe and live at the same time!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #14502 on: October 14, 2015, 09:25:51 pm »

I'm not talking about a heroic sacrifice - I'm talking about catching a bullet at a demonstration, or getting on the wrong side of some neo-nazi thugs. Not sacrificing your life, but knowingly putting it at great risk.

Not saying that risking life isn't worth doing.  Just that I wouldn't turn down an extremely long lifespan, or even biological immortality.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14503 on: October 14, 2015, 09:30:52 pm »

What is there to accomplish by being shot that cannot be done just as well from a water-cooled server bank behind 150 feet of concrete at an undisclosed location?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14504 on: October 14, 2015, 09:36:00 pm »

I'll be happy to die after I get bored with omnipotence.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 [967] 968 969 ... 1420