Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969761 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #9600 on: September 24, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »

That happens often in your social circles?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9601 on: September 24, 2014, 09:22:44 pm »

Please desist in joking about that.  There are a few hot-button issues I have, among them slavery and rape, and I'd appreciate if you didn't joke about those things.

My apologies if that wasn't a joke, but it seemed like a sort of cynical joke to me.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 09:24:28 pm by 4maskwolf »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:58 pm »

Please desist in joking about that.  There are a few hot-button issues I have, among them slavery and rape, and I'd appreciate if you didn't joke about those things.

My apologies if that wasn't a joke, but it seemed like a sort of cynical joke to me.
^this, Dutchling :v
There's a line to draw when joking about stuff like that.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9603 on: September 24, 2014, 09:34:09 pm »

Seems partly true though. Probably the reason why, as Tiruin put it, "common people" don't consider modern slavery an issue to "worry about" is because it just doesn't effect them. Or anyone they know. Or at least they don't know if it effects anyone they know.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: September 24, 2014, 09:37:45 pm »

Slavery looks different nowadays, after all. It's no longer 'black people picking cotton and singing sorrowful tunes' but more like 'children getting systematically raped year after year'. It's no longer slavery for work, but slavery for the actual object - the enslaved person's body.

And that joke was a little harsh maybe, but a) kinda justified and b) actually pretty funny. And certainly no worse than Holocaust or dead baby jokes.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: September 24, 2014, 09:43:31 pm »

It was actually not really a joke... Greatorder's post just seemed oddly specific to me.
Haven't ever seen that one during the previous times modern slavery came up. Which is something that happens quite often for a subject nobody supposedly knows about.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: September 24, 2014, 09:54:16 pm »

I doubt it's an issue that people don't really know about...it just doesn't really impact enough people to get notoriety and get something done about it. Also I'd imagine it'd be a bit of a squicky subject for people, what with the enslaved and the...uh, enslavement, and the uh...bodily functions...yeah. It's not pleasant to think about, so "common" people probably would avoid such a topic.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: September 24, 2014, 10:03:55 pm »

Yeah, sorry for blowing up over that, if you see my most recent post in the Rage thread you'll understand why I'm so on edge with that kind of stuff right now.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9608 on: September 24, 2014, 10:25:33 pm »

Oh, none taken. Getting offended at someone getting offended would be a very silly thing to do.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: September 25, 2014, 05:36:17 am »

DO NOT MESS WITH MULTIPROCESSING AND RECURSION AT THE SAME TIME

I've discovered the kind of denial of service a guy with a thumb drive and a mind for it can get up to.

I accidentally created a fork bomb with Python's concurrent.futures module. I tried using it to do some prime factorization (since that's the first problem off the top of my head that takes a long enough time to do for me to notice). Anyway, I must have designed it pretty badly, because my test number (which has only 3 prime factors) managed to create over 2000 separate instances of python.exe (over 2400 processes; for comparison, there are 95 running right now on this newly restarted computer). The computer took 30 seconds to emergency shut down. Windows handled it surprisingly well, but it sorta crapped out after 5 minutes.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: September 25, 2014, 05:56:37 am »

code?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: September 25, 2014, 08:43:07 am »

Oh I don't read cracked.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #9612 on: September 25, 2014, 08:46:07 am »

Oh I don't read cracked.

It used to be a comedy website. Now they expect people to laugh at the hardships of drug addiction or modern slavery
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: September 25, 2014, 04:36:29 pm »

Oh I don't read cracked.

It used to be a comedy website. Now they expect people to laugh at the hardships of drug addiction or modern slavery
*joke about my sense of humor goes here*
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: September 25, 2014, 05:45:04 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 1420