Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1963854 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6180 on: December 19, 2013, 01:13:26 am »

There's also http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-5308-j for those of you who are affected by it.
I've got it. The kid's power is that SCP-682 won't hurt him, like with the other one. Get to testing immediately!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: December 19, 2013, 04:10:08 am »

There's also http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-5308-j for those of you who are affected by it.
I don't get it, and judging by the comments I'm the only one.
Their anomalous properties is that they cause paranoia in the affected.

It's more that the joke is that the Foundation tends to be written as overtly paranoid.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: December 19, 2013, 05:09:00 pm »

And that string of conversation had sent me on a wiki-walk trough SCP and the Creepy Pasta site. I'm back now, found some neat stuff, some disturbing stuff, and reread some old stories I liked.

Thank you B12.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: December 19, 2013, 05:22:17 pm »

My favourite is 092.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: December 19, 2013, 09:49:57 pm »

High winds on the road today, enough for advisories to be posted on electronic billboards. I may have said this before, but it bears repeating: strong winds are dangerous and scary for trucks, especially empty ones. ESPECIALLY especially because if you start to tip over there's virtually nothing you can do to stop it. All you can do is slow down, keep both hands firmly on the steering wheel, and hope the universe decides to be nice.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: December 19, 2013, 09:50:30 pm »

Just going to the mall for some pseudo-Christmas shopping.
I made the mistake of leaning onto and looking over the second-floor railing (the second floor is like 10~ feet above the first) for about .34 seconds too long.

FYI I hate heights.
Black lives matter.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: December 19, 2013, 10:57:18 pm »

Yeeaah... exposure "therapy", from what I recall, is... incredibly spotty, from the research on it that's been done. The better of it ramps up gradually, but any of it is, apparently, about as likely to backfire as to help in any way.

The temptation when someone says "you just gotta' face your fears" or whatev' (especially when dealing with actual, full blown phobia) is to beat them about the head and shoulders with a recent psych textbook until they get the point or stop moving, whichever comes last first.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: December 19, 2013, 11:01:57 pm »

Yeeaah... exposure "therapy", from what I recall, is... incredibly spotty, from the research on it that's been done. The better of it ramps up gradually, but any of it is, apparently, about as likely to backfire as to help in any way.

The temptation when someone says "you just gotta' face your fears" or whatev' (especially when dealing with actual, full blown phobia) is to beat them about the head and shoulders with a recent psych textbook until they get the point or stop moving, whichever comes last first.
I find that just facing my fears is generally better, as long as it's my idea to do it and I'm not being forced to by someone else.

Also, the chair I usually sit in when I'm on my laptop is right next to a rather... overloaded bookcase. Stephen King's works are pretty scary on their own, but I must say that, as a rather large book, It may actually be scarier when it's hurtling towards your head from four feet above you.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: December 19, 2013, 11:13:00 pm »

Exposure therapy works so long as it is done right. Doing it right means gradually increased exposure, engaged in willingly by the patient. Violating either will most likely just make the phobia worse, though not always.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: December 19, 2013, 11:18:25 pm »

Exposure therapy works so long as it is done right. Doing it right means gradually increased exposure, engaged in willingly by the patient. Violating either will most likely just make the phobia worse, though not always.
Protip: don't make somebody afraid of heights walk down a narrow mountain path.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: December 20, 2013, 08:09:02 am »

Ugh... Being extremely afraid of heights, I see where you're both coming from.

For some reason, when we were at the fair, mum wouldn't let my brother (who is the same age as me) ride anything unless I was on with him, which is retarded. Him being him, he always wanted to go on the big and tall rides. Him and mum both got royally pissed at me for not wanting to "grow up" and face my fear of heights, even though I "face" my fears almost every year when they nag me like that, which was why I always went home pissed off and with a migraine. But I guess having a phobia means that I'm still just a baby.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:18 am »

Hah. If being scared of things makes you a kid, then I don't think anyone should be considered an adult. If anything, the fact that you were scared of heights, and still went up makes you more mature. Yes you were still scared afterward, but you did it. Don't let anyone tell you that being scared makes you a kid. If you aren't scared of anything, something is wrong.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: December 20, 2013, 09:41:59 am »

I just remembered the date part of dating. No clue what to do now. Somewhat terrified.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: December 20, 2013, 09:45:23 am »

My dad's pretty afraid of heights, but apparently wasn't in his youth. I used to be okay with them, but apparently am developing that fear as well...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6194 on: December 20, 2013, 10:19:03 am »

Ugh... Being extremely afraid of heights, I see where you're both coming from.

For some reason, when we were at the fair, mum wouldn't let my brother (who is the same age as me) ride anything unless I was on with him, which is retarded. Him being him, he always wanted to go on the big and tall rides. Him and mum both got royally pissed at me for not wanting to "grow up" and face my fear of heights, even though I "face" my fears almost every year when they nag me like that, which was why I always went home pissed off and with a migraine. But I guess having a phobia means that I'm still just a baby.
'Hi, mum. You said I was a baby for having a phobia, so I suppose you have to deal with the great big spider in my bedroom. Enjoy!' *shove into bedroom with spider and prevent door from being opened*

Only works if your mother is arachnophobic.
She is.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 [413] 414 415 ... 1420