Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969544 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17250 on: December 12, 2016, 06:21:52 am »

About to get on a plane, I don't think I'll ever get used to this.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17251 on: December 12, 2016, 06:39:22 am »

Furthermore, the multiverse doesn't actually guarantee that any possible universe exists - there still might be an underlying order, such as "gravity exists in all universes" or "entropy is always increasing", that cannot be violated. Magic, likewise, doesn't have to exist. (Magic of improbability might, such as "knowing what card you picked", but magic of impossibility (making things fly) probably doesn't.)
Plus it's not "all things possible exist", since then it's the ontological argument all over again. If we assume all things exist, then we can say that a thing exist which will make all things not exist. And to use the Cogito, I Think, Therefore I Am, thus I exist, which is a contradiction to the existence of the thing that would cause me to not exist.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17252 on: December 12, 2016, 06:42:34 am »

Don't worry, planes are completely safe. It's the humans flying them that are prone to error.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17253 on: December 12, 2016, 06:47:36 am »

Furthermore, the multiverse doesn't actually guarantee that any possible universe exists - there still might be an underlying order, such as "gravity exists in all universes" or "entropy is always increasing", that cannot be violated. Magic, likewise, doesn't have to exist. (Magic of improbability might, such as "knowing what card you picked", but magic of impossibility (making things fly) probably doesn't.)
Plus it's not "all things possible exist", since then it's the ontological argument all over again. If we assume all things exist, then we can say that a thing exist which will make all things not exist. And to use the Cogito, I Think, Therefore I Am, thus I exist, which is a contradiction to the existence of the thing that would cause me to not exist.
Unless universes can't interact with one another (except to spawn more), in which case they're meaningless.  Except as an explanation for why things are so complicated here - the multiverse is actually a completely simple fractal, and we're down one path.  Everything zeroes out.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17254 on: December 12, 2016, 07:05:13 am »

Plus nothing guarantees that said multiverse is actually infinite, although there are reasonable arguments in favor of that. Hell, we don't even know if OUR universe is finite or infinite, something something open space time curve vs. closed space time curve loop something.

If you want a decent reason to be terrified, think about consciousness and free will. Nobody actually knows the true nature of consciousness, and the current model of known physics isn't entirely friendly to free will. For all we know, determinism could be a thing and we'd have no real control over anything.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:16:57 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17255 on: December 12, 2016, 09:22:48 am »

So much snow. Why did I even bother to shovel the driveway yesterday. All the effort in the world cannot into snow.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17256 on: December 12, 2016, 09:39:23 am »

TBH I don't think determinism and free will are antagonical. In fact, I don't think that they're even related problems.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17257 on: December 12, 2016, 09:55:47 am »

If you take a view like Daniel Dennett's, then ye, you can get away with determinism and free will, and his argument is one of my favorites.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17258 on: December 12, 2016, 11:18:48 am »

I'm a supporter of what I've jokingly dubbed post-determinism. I have the free will to make any available choice, but I can only choose one. Therefore, once chosen, the choice I made was the only one I could have made in the first place.
Love, scriver~

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17259 on: December 12, 2016, 11:42:05 am »

I'm a supporter of what I've jokingly dubbed post-determinism. I have the free will to make any available choice, but I can only choose one. Therefore, once chosen, the choice I made was the only one I could have made in the first place.
That actually makes a surprising amount of sense.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17260 on: December 12, 2016, 11:48:04 am »

Dan Dennett conciliates free will with determinism through avoidance, that is, things may be determined to happen, but a conscious being can avoid it by taking actions that remove the conditions that allow said determined thing to actually happen, or at least modify the way it happens. Thus determinism could a thing, but a malleable thing that can be reshaped or avoided by consciousness.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17261 on: December 12, 2016, 11:49:33 am »

Dan Dennett conciliates free will with determinism through avoidance, that is, things may be determined to happen, but a conscious being can avoid it by taking actions that remove the conditions that allow said determined thing to actually happen, or at least modify the way it happens. Thus determinism could a thing, but a malleable thing that can be reshaped or avoided by consciousness.
But then it's a 'turtles all the way down' sort of thing.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17262 on: December 12, 2016, 01:34:42 pm »

This is kind of what I think. I think free will is about making a conscious choice. It does not imply that other choices would have been made.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #17263 on: December 12, 2016, 02:17:40 pm »

Don't worry, planes are completely safe. It's the humans flying them that are prone to error.
Actually, those humans mostly kick back and relax while the autopilot does the magic. And even if something goes wrong, those pilots are much better trained than, say, the average Sunday driver on a terrestrial road. You're much more likely to die in a car accident than a plane crash.

I think that falls into the problem of consciousness (still) being undefined. Is that famous hurricane-causing butterfly conscious? If not, then what is? If yes, then what isn't?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17264 on: December 12, 2016, 02:51:12 pm »

Actually, those humans mostly kick back and relax while the autopilot does the magic. And even if something goes wrong, those pilots are much better trained than, say, the average Sunday driver on a terrestrial road. You're much more likely to die in a car accident than a plane crash.
Is that adjusted for how many people drive/fly?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 1149 1150 [1151] 1152 1153 ... 1420