Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1138 1139 [1140] 1141 1142 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969076 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17085 on: October 29, 2016, 10:51:26 am »

Which makes you realise that all these famous philosophers were really just people who stayed in the "edgy teen" stage of development for the rest of their lives.
Or is it not that edgy teens seek famous philosophers to fill the void of their confused lives?

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17086 on: October 29, 2016, 12:27:21 pm »

gaddemit u plebes cant git muh edge

is maine

all maine
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #17087 on: October 29, 2016, 12:51:13 pm »

All is Maine?
Dear God, the beaches.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17088 on: October 29, 2016, 01:21:12 pm »

Hey, nihlism. Are you folks familiar with the Nihilists Boardgame?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17089 on: October 29, 2016, 01:25:56 pm »

Edgy nihilism isn't really a new thing...

You might want to read more philosophy.
Almost the opposite, a high proportion of teens seem to arrive at it independently.  I certainly did!

I don't even think it's wrong, exactly.  But getting invested in life is more fun.  Addictive, too.  Kinda the opposite of nirvana, but nirvana is overrated.  (Not Nirvana though they're cool)
I don't mean to imply that nihilism isn't arrived at due to reading Nietzche. Hell, I haven't even got around to reading Nietzche yet.

Which doesn't even matter anyways because Nietzche himself is post-nihilist.

I think the main reason is that in modern society with so much media coverage with everything, it's damn near impossible to have a concrete belief in anything and be right. The two popular options of dealing with this is to either ignore it or to give up completely on values. The former usually means that you either immerse yourself completely in the material world, or completely in the spiritual world. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's certainly pragmatic.

The latter, on the other hand, usually doesn't last unless you're also suffering from crippling depression, because the thing is that being a nihilist is boring as hell, so nihilists tend to become existentialists.

And people seem to not really understand what existentialism means and equate it to nihilism when they are pretty different. Existentialism is the idea that there is a purpose to all things, but the purposes are artificial and decided upon after the existence of things, rather than upon their creation, and that even though the purposes are artificial, they do the job. Nihilism is that idea that there is no purpose to anything and there is no reason to apply purposes to them.

At least, that's my understanding. I personally think nihilism is dumb because it just gets automatically removed from the epistemological pool because it's just self-destructive. "Why spread the idea of nihilism? There's no point to spread the idea of nihilism, because there's no point in doing anything."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:27:45 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17090 on: October 29, 2016, 02:12:15 pm »

Pus and blood was coming out from my ear this morning. The fact that it was worries me. I think it was just a pimple but according to Dr. Google it could be a ruptured eardrum.
In middle ear otitis purulent material can build up, which might lead to a perforation of the eardrum.

Needless to say, its unlikely that this went unnoticed.

The sort of pressure needed to rupture an eardrum (unless Gamedragon was exposed to incredibly loud noises, which would probably be remembered) is about as hard to notice as a sledgehammer to the testicles.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17091 on: October 29, 2016, 07:16:30 pm »

Which makes you realise that all these famous philosophers were really just people who stayed in the "edgy teen" stage of development for the rest of their lives.
Actually pretty much no philosopher does the edgy teen nihilist thing. Many start with it to develop some position in opposition to that, but none that I am aware of present it as their main point. Especially not Nietzsche himself!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17092 on: October 29, 2016, 08:04:50 pm »

And people seem to not really understand what existentialism means and equate it to nihilism when they are pretty different. Existentialism is the idea that there is a purpose to all things, but the purposes are artificial and decided upon after the existence of things, rather than upon their creation, and that even though the purposes are artificial, they do the job. Nihilism is that idea that there is no purpose to anything and there is no reason to apply purposes to them.

At least, that's my understanding. I personally think nihilism is dumb because it just gets automatically removed from the epistemological pool because it's just self-destructive. "Why spread the idea of nihilism? There's no point to spread the idea of nihilism, because there's no point in doing anything."
There are two reasons.

A. The recognition of nihilism is a prerequisite for any existentialist or absurdist rejection of the rejection of meaning.

B. The specific thing you're criticizing for its own nullification is the belief in pure existential nihilism, but existential nihilism is not the only element of nihilist belief. While one's natural creative tendencies mean they will attempt to fill the void of abstract meaningfulness with something after disregarding presumptive or supernatural importance, that does not mean the recognition of the void is not an element of this.

There's also separate elements such as moral nihilism, and I'm sure many other divisions created by various philosophers over the years.

And honestly, as the famous image tells us, any mature recognition of nihilism is an uplifting and humanizing belief, not edgy bullshit. What could be more liberating than the realization that the universe is free and open for us to live in, and that your down to Earth life is the only really important thing in it?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17093 on: October 29, 2016, 08:06:37 pm »

Pus and blood was coming out from my ear this morning. The fact that it was worries me. I think it was just a pimple but according to Dr. Google it could be a ruptured eardrum.
In middle ear otitis purulent material can build up, which might lead to a perforation of the eardrum.

Needless to say, its unlikely that this went unnoticed.

The sort of pressure needed to rupture an eardrum (unless Gamedragon was exposed to incredibly loud noises, which would probably be remembered) is about as hard to notice as a sledgehammer to the testicles.
... which is precisedly what I said. Minus the genitalia metaphor.  ???
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17094 on: October 29, 2016, 08:13:48 pm »

I'll apologize in advance for this. I'm an angsty teenager in freshman year and far too much free time on his hands. Everything I say here  probably sounds utterly ridiculous. Of this I am eminently aware, yet I still feel as though something should be said.

This might not be the best place for this, but I find myself generally incapable of caring

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17095 on: October 29, 2016, 08:32:10 pm »

Welcome Señor 90908 to the sad terrified thread, where everything you say is valid, even and ESPECIALLY if it doesn't feel that way to you, somebody DOES care, your opinions of yourself are NEVER EVER COMPLETELY ACCURATE.  Everybody gets stuck in their own heads. And the only advice that is of literally any use online is to find somebody IN REAL LIFE to talk to, preferably a professional who can help you in a concrete manner.

Glad you're able to express your feelings.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:42:37 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17096 on: October 29, 2016, 08:39:33 pm »

Welcome Señor 90908 to the sad thread.

But this is not the sad thread...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17097 on: October 29, 2016, 08:42:16 pm »

Sorry, I keep switching back and forth between the two.  Wouldn't really be all out of place though.  Advice still applies.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17098 on: October 29, 2016, 10:50:06 pm »

@90908:*hugs*

You aren't worthless.  You're worthful.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17099 on: October 30, 2016, 09:44:29 am »

So be mirthful!

sorry, couldn't resist
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 1138 1139 [1140] 1141 1142 ... 1420