Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1966679 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #14265 on: September 13, 2015, 04:39:41 am »

Part of my scalp feels numb.
Like, just a patch of it. Am I gonna die?
I had a shower and I can't tell 100% if it's still happening or not.
I'm going to sleep now... hopefully I won't wake up dead and it will just be a weird memory. Or better yet, forgotten.

I don't want to die just yet, there's still so much more to be done. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14266 on: September 13, 2015, 04:42:53 am »

-snipforsmartness-

Thank you kindly, good sir.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14267 on: September 13, 2015, 05:57:28 am »

I watched The Tale of Princess Kaguya just recently, where I learned of something called Ohaguro, or teething dyeing. Apparently in feudal Japan it was considered beautiful for women to dye their teeth pure black, as having white teeth was considered representative of animals or demons. Looking at pictures of women with pure white geisha faces with pure black teeth, it's staggeringly scary.

I know it's just cultural difference in addition to ancient customs, but man it's freaky to look at. It had some practical benefit in preventing tooth decay, at the very least...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14268 on: September 13, 2015, 06:08:53 am »

I did it. I gave in and now I feel like shit. I told myself I'd never watch those damn prodigies playing their Chopin to the note, and here I am, complaining on the internet on it. I'm self-indulging, whiny, and a generally loathsome person now. They have natural talent, a talent that they continually improve on. It doesn't affect me for anything.

I know this is a rant, but I need to vent before I watch more videos.
As that old adage goes: "Remember, no matter how good you are at whatever you do, there will always be some Asian kid out there who does it better."
If it's any consolation, I personally knew someone like that and their life is pretty boring and soul-crushing. It's less natural talent and more of how much of your childhood you're willing to sacrifice. Not saying that it might or might not be worth it, though.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14269 on: September 13, 2015, 07:16:58 am »

-snop-
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 02:26:57 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #14270 on: September 13, 2015, 08:43:10 am »

Wouldn't outside that radius just be like being blown up in a normal explosion?

Or were you referring to walking-ghost syndrome? The skin and intestinal tract don't "melt" in walking ghost syndrome, it's more that they just fall apart because they can no longer replenish their relatively short-lived cells faster than said cells die and they're eventually don't have enough left to form a cohesive working unit.

I meant melting as a physical description. Nonetheless, I didn't know that was the cause behind that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14271 on: September 13, 2015, 09:51:32 am »

I did it. I gave in and now I feel like shit. I told myself I'd never watch those damn prodigies playing their Chopin to the note, and here I am, complaining on the internet on it. I'm self-indulging, whiny, and a generally loathsome person now. They have natural talent, a talent that they continually improve on. It doesn't affect me for anything.

As that old adage goes: "Remember, no matter how good you are at whatever you do, there will always be some Asian kid out there who does it better."
Ah, talent, the concept that I just love to despise. A perfect excuse for any mediocre teacher not to improve themselves.

No. Such. Thing. As Cinder said, aside from minor physical differences, like having freakishly long/flexible fingers, which can be worked around or, for that matter, lead to unique technical variations, it's mostly soul-crushing amounts of practice. Nobody starts good.

Also, while people have different goals, technical skill does not a musician make. It's kinda like breathing - you need to be able to breathe to continue living, but having the biggest lung capacity does not make you win at life. It enables you to do certain things others cannot pull off - in this case, endurance sports, for example - but someone who applies his lesser ability better can still beat you soundly.

I actually discovered just yesterday that a successful contemporary jazz pianist and composer over here started to learn the piano at seventeen. Not the most impressive age. On the other hand you have, say, that guitarist from Winger, who is a crazy good technically... but is still remembered as a guy from fucking Winger.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #14272 on: September 13, 2015, 11:46:18 am »

Ah, talent, the concept that I just love to despise. A perfect excuse for any mediocre teacher not to improve themselves.

No. Such. Thing. As Cinder said, aside from minor physical differences, like having freakishly long/flexible fingers, which can be worked around or, for that matter, lead to unique technical variations, it's mostly soul-crushing amounts of practice. Nobody starts good.

Also, while people have different goals, technical skill does not a musician make. It's kinda like breathing - you need to be able to breathe to continue living, but having the biggest lung capacity does not make you win at life. It enables you to do certain things others cannot pull off - in this case, endurance sports, for example - but someone who applies his lesser ability better can still beat you soundly.

I actually discovered just yesterday that a successful contemporary jazz pianist and composer over here started to learn the piano at seventeen. Not the most impressive age. On the other hand you have, say, that guitarist from Winger, who is a crazy good technically... but is still remembered as a guy from fucking Winger.

I do know that child prodigies are typically only technically talented, and child prodigiousness doesn't define a successful career. I know it's wrong to be a whiny baby, and it was indeed my fault for throwing that out there.
I wouldn't have responded to this post if it weren't for the line:

Uneven brain development is what leads to child prodigiousness, as long as that advanced brain is used, similarly to the lung comparison you drew. These children had the means to achieve such skill at an early age. 6 year old playing Chopin? He must be extremely talented, but when a teenager does it it becomes run of the mill. Their brain merely reaches a certain point of intelligence commonly attributed to older people, and unless they continually train it it's easy for that early advantage to wither away. Here is a study of prodigal brain development

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14273 on: September 13, 2015, 11:58:18 pm »

[...]
...Much as I'd like to really poke this in-depth (as well as how generalizing this kind of comparison goes >_> [also I'm Asian btw :v]), I lack time and must use brevity.
Stop stereotyping the concept of a prodigy/gifted child please. Or casually thinking that 'brain development//biological premises = a difference between people).

It's the fun of studying and attaining knowledge in the field of experience which keeps that kind of demoralization away :3
...Especially when you use terms like 'natural' or stuff like that which make you feel naturally 'lesser'.
Chill wid da vents. :)

Thread related: Working with psychological terrors. :-\ It's scary at first...but I'm terrified because I'm in the stage of 'You understand this' and 'It's time to apply this'.
The first impression of the terror of failure ._.
Especially given how I word things. They might get the wrong idea (but not discuss it) and then. . . D:
Or I could just use links for educational aid...but gah. :'(
Terrified that I'd fail...or mess up. Eek.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:05:07 am by Tiruin »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14274 on: September 14, 2015, 09:42:24 am »

That's a pretty interesting playlist. Saved.

...why am I learning everything except my actual major again?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14275 on: September 14, 2015, 10:14:12 am »

Hang on, is Tiruin saying that everyone is the same 0_o
I know that on Bay12 we're all Pathos, but that doesn't mean that everyone is the same does it?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #14276 on: September 14, 2015, 12:02:51 pm »

Hang on, is Tiruin saying that everyone is the same 0_o
I know that on Bay12 we're all Pathos, but that doesn't mean that everyone is the same does it?
I'm rather saying 'Yo dude, you're a ton better than whatever negative trait you attach your self-concept to. That means You're cool and I like you for who you are regardless of who you are...Yeah.
I totally didn't trip over my wording again. This time. For sure.'

...why am I learning everything except my actual major again?
Because the world is more than majors and you can organize learning about them later on? (Just prioritize and give them time too) :P
Also the video uploader also branches out into many other fields of discussion.
Also beware the humor. :P Very much used to explain Point A to Z in concise ideas.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:10:17 pm by Tiruin »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14277 on: September 14, 2015, 03:19:38 pm »

You should major in minors.

Okay that sounds wrong.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #14278 on: September 14, 2015, 05:56:43 pm »

[...]
...Much as I'd like to really poke this in-depth (as well as how generalizing this kind of comparison goes >_> [also I'm Asian btw :v]), I lack time and must use brevity.
Stop stereotyping the concept of a prodigy/gifted child please. Or casually thinking that 'brain development//biological premises = a difference between people).

It's the fun of studying and attaining knowledge in the field of experience which keeps that kind of demoralization away :3
...Especially when you use terms like 'natural' or stuff like that which make you feel naturally 'lesser'.
Chill wid da vents. :)

I'M REALLY CHILL I SWEAR

And that experssion had no meaning, it was a little joke. I'm (South) Asian, so I'm naturally a racist scumbag.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But yeah, I guess I'm prone to that kind of thinking.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14279 on: September 14, 2015, 05:57:38 pm »

You should major in minors.

Okay that sounds wrong.
[lewd joke goes here]
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 950 951 [952] 953 954 ... 1420