Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to honor the dead Heroes?  (Read 1459 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to honor the dead Heroes?
« on: November 28, 2010, 11:28:45 am »

recent case .. my second best warrior ..  a monster of s dwarf singlehandedly dispatched about 15 frogmen while the others dealt with goblins on the other side of the fort ..

well while chasing the fleeing frogs 4 of em jumped in a murky pool where he followed and massacred em ...

too bad the rushing miner to carve ramp/open the sidewall of the pool arrived too late to prevent him drowning ...
R.I.P. Vabok Olondakost Limulakest Shedim, "Vabok Gearedfloor the Golden Domination of Sha"  :'(
 so my dilemma is .. how to remember him (he alone killed  around 30 enemies .. in about 2 years .. ) should i give him a tomb in the best materials available .. should i memorize him in the dinners hall while his earthly remains rot away .. or should i let him turn to ghost so he can party eternally with his former comrades (and his replacement guy)

i already planned and setup a ceremonial wrestling fest with 10 captured trolls and about 8 frogmen

any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:30:45 am by schussel »

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to honor the dead Heroes?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 11:45:12 am »

Build him a really awesome tomb with a sarcophagus and statues made out of precious metals, engravings, some coffers or bags to hold his earthly possessions, and an armour stand and weapon rack to carry ceremonial weapons too (the won't actually, but it's the spirit of the thing!) Then wall it off and surround it above and around with magma. Bonus points for including a pile of his enemies' bones too. Or having alternate layers of water and magma around the tomb. Keep those darned grave robbers out! :D

On a side note, how exactly does one make a slab? Wiki says alt+s (at Mason's workshop) but that does nothing at all for me...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:51:05 am »

Build him a really awesome tomb with a sarcophagus and statues made out of precious metals, engravings, some coffers or bags to hold his earthly possessions, and an armour stand and weapon rack to carry ceremonial weapons too (the won't actually, but it's the spirit of the thing!) Then wall it off and surround it above and around with magma. Bonus points for including a pile of his enemies' bones too. Or having alternate layers of water and magma around the tomb. Keep those darned grave robbers out! :D

On a side note, how exactly does one make a slab? Wiki says alt+s (at Mason's workshop) but that does nothing at all for me...
you have to make the slab in the masons workshop
engrave it in the craftsdwarf workshop
then build it, although it won't tell you which one you're building
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:55:19 am »

Not if you don't press x, yeah, then it won't. ;)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 11:55:53 am »

it will if you press x as if you build anything else .. the name will show :)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 12:02:16 pm »

it will if you press x as if you build anything else .. the name will show :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I totally knew that
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 01:04:44 pm »

I am making a massive (60 by 25 by 10) hall of warriors, where my finest heroes will lie. It is a total pain to dig, decorate, smooth, and engrave 1 z level at a time. it will have a massive golden alter upon which spikes will cushion sacrificed nobles driven mad with jealousy.

Stuff like this is the best. I urge you to do something similar!

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 01:13:35 pm »

I suggest making his tomb an epic temple/trap room, decking it out with finery like imperium3 suggested, and adding in plenty of weapon traps. Anything that will splatter plenty of blood and bits about. He deserves such a resting place.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 01:20:27 pm »

Place his armour and weaponry in his tomb if you have a display case modded in. Also, make a giant room with rivers of magma.

Xerillum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 03:36:40 pm »

pump out the pool where his body was and bury him in it. Then build a temple above it. Bonus points for making it out of adamantine with 2 walls holding magma in between. like

WWWWWWWWW
~~~~~~~~~~
WWW WW WW

W = wall
~ = magma
spaces are windows

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 03:43:33 pm »

Should seem obvious, but I'm gonna say it:
Magma. Applied in any way, magma works.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Deep Thought

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 03:52:19 pm »

Build him the most expensive and time consuming tomb you possably can and suspend it above a volcano (or other source of magma). Then release the supports and send his tomb plumiting down to the depths of the earth. Possably send along a few geonaughts to keep the place tidy.

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 06:18:37 pm »

Put his burial chamber at the bottom of a 15+ pit. Drop enemies onto/near his sarcophagus to coat it with their blood. Perhaps he will rise again some day....
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!