Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Partial Skeletons  (Read 5893 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Partial Skeletons
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 09:22:51 am »

While I highly doubt any of my unmodded, vanilla dorfs butchered it themselves, I can remember a .16 artifact containing goblin bone. No idea how that happened. *shrugs*
Macabre mood.
No, if it was a Macabre mood it would be Dwarf bone.

I have seen normal fey/secretive/possession moods that result in artifacts decorated with goblin or kobold bone.  I think that a dwarf in a strange mood will go and grab a normally untouchable partial skeleton to use as a bone source, but I haven't deliberately tried to test that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 10:01:43 am »

How does that old saying go? Do you get more -elf bone bolts- than it takes to kill an elf? I think it's possible for dwarves to use any bones that are lying around once they've decomposed. I'm not 100% on this, but it would make sense to me.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 11:27:31 am »

How does that old saying go? Do you get more -elf bone bolts- than it takes to kill an elf? I think it's possible for dwarves to use any bones that are lying around once they've decomposed. I'm not 100% on this, but it would make sense to me.
yes, i was about to bring this up then i saw your post.
it seems nobody remembers the old cycle of killing elves with their bones, for their bones.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 11:42:16 am »

yes, i was about to bring this up then i saw your post.
it seems nobody remembers the old cycle of killing elves with their bones, for their bones.

That was in 40D. 31.XX works differently.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 12:21:26 pm »

Yeah, confirmation made, a bowyer with a fey mood picked up a random goblin skeleton. His/her bones now ornate a fine crossbow. Nothing special.
As for the old cycle, I do remember it! I just transpose it to non-sentient things. I reached a pretty fine ratio with llamas and groudhogs, but wolves still take too damn long to die. Elk birds are too murderous to test properly, two of them are already named, and way too many of them have butchered my war dogs already...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

HoaBinh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 03:19:23 pm »

Do not ask me how this happened but I noticed that when trading that I had some items made from goblin bones. I've been attacked by goblins several times and got store rooms full of their corpses. I can not remember seeing the corpses being butchered or anything but the bones where apparently usefull anyway.

This is in a .18 gened world.

*edit* And it is vanilla, no mods *edit*

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:32:23 pm by HoaBinh »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 03:27:56 pm »

Well, I found stuff made with human and dwarf bone, teeth, hair (!) and nail (!!!) alike on goblin corpses, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they also wore accessories made of bones of their own species...
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

HoaBinh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 03:34:12 pm »

Well, I found stuff made with human and dwarf bone, teeth, hair (!) and nail (!!!) alike on goblin corpses, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they also wore accessories made of bones of their own species...

My, so far three goblin items, where made by my dwarves. They do not have that color, gray, that seems to be on everything that you loot so they where most likely crafter by my small misery factories.

kaapelikala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 07:39:11 am »

On one of my forts with atom smasher, lockdown switch, kitten (and noble) killing drop tower, half flooded magma workshops etc. I just dumped all unusable corpses outside (incl. goblins, kobolds, elf traders, stray dog parts - can you really not use those unless you butcher them via butcher's shop?) and some of them rotted, skeletonified and then turned into [creature name] bones. I got cool Elephant skull totems decorated with stray dog bone, goblin bone, kobold bone, elf bone and a lot of other stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3]