Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: building too high  (Read 1592 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
building too high
« on: November 27, 2010, 02:34:41 pm »

Similar to the Fun you can get from digging too deeply, building too high could carry consequences as well. Namely, the wrath of winged beings with flaming swords coming to knock over your tower of babel.

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: building too high
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 02:49:14 pm »

Or maybe attracting the notice of Flying Beasts in general.  Dragons, FBs, or things yet unknown (like the angels to which OP refers), could fall in this list.

Problems with it, though:  Right now, there is a max height above peak ground level which defaults to somethng around 20-z-evels.  That's not a huge buffer on flat terrain, though can give way to rather deep mountain embarks.  This limit is in place to reduce lag, I imagine, so it makes sense somewhat.  How high is too high?  The other problem I can see is better formed as a question, maybe:  What is the reward for building so high?  We have plenty of rewards for digging deep, so the risk can be worth !!FUN!!, bu why would anyone risk an arial onslaught if there was no gain?

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 02:59:24 pm »

Adamantine could come from the heavens as weapons against hell. That is, the heavens bombarded the planet with adamantine spikes eons ago.

I like the idea of this, it should be much harder than hell, because it's more difficult to build than dig, it should probably have vastly more adamantine (If underground ~1200, above sky is ~4000) or even a better metal, like Diamondite or something insane.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:00:41 pm »

Killing angels not enough for the lot of you?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 03:48:48 pm »

Killing angels not enough for the lot of you?
This. It's own reward. If that's not enough, surely there could be resources more imaginative than more of the same. Blue stuff is downstairs, let's try something else in the other direction.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 03:57:15 pm »

Golden swords, only called something outrageous.

Fill it with Gods that make Demons look like fluffy wamblers.

Those that weren't ghosts could come down and repopulate where they lived before they died.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 03:59:33 pm »

Blue stuff is downstairs, let's try something else in the other direction.
...Airium?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 04:05:14 pm »

This has been suggested MANY times, but not recently, so I reckon it should be allowed to slide.

The best things about building too high should be:

1: Celestial body parts. If mermaids are worth a quid or two, imagine angel bones!
2: All of the world is beneath you. The entire land is yours if you so choose it. Magma? Pump it up there. Dwarven paratroopers? Teach them to swim and catapult them into a fake sea from on high.

This post should not be construed as support for the suggestion. I hate the idea of building too high. We're dwarves, for fucksake.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 04:07:03 pm »

While I hate to derail the topic I feel a need to reply to Fayriks signature. The 'daily' cycle of dwarves is dragged out because they live much longer, so their whole life is stretched out.

ON TOPIC: Airium is a poor name. Maybe Otataral, sorry just read the Malazan Book of the Fallen and I am out of good ideas. Perhaps simply 'the god metal.'

Also, dwarves would build too high because they already dug too low!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 04:12:59 pm »

This has been suggested MANY times, but not recently, so I reckon it should be allowed to slide.
It was either that or necromancy. And you don't want that. Oh, nonono You. Do. Not. Want.

And so the derailment continues...

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 04:15:02 pm »

Or maybe attracting the notice of Flying Beasts in general.  Dragons, FBs, or things yet unknown (like the angels to which OP refers), could fall in this list.

Problems with it, though:  Right now, there is a max height above peak ground level which defaults to somethng around 20-z-evels.  That's not a huge buffer on flat terrain, though can give way to rather deep mountain embarks.  This limit is in place to reduce lag, I imagine, so it makes sense somewhat.  How high is too high?  The other problem I can see is better formed as a question, maybe:  What is the reward for building so high?  We have plenty of rewards for digging deep, so the risk can be worth !!FUN!!, bu why would anyone risk an arial onslaught if there was no gain?
Actually, you can set the maximum height above the peak to 100 I believe.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 10:55:33 pm »

The benefit to killing gods/angels should be that members of other civilizations will start to worship those that accomplish it.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 04:36:32 am »

Right now blue stuff isn't reward for breaching hell, the opportunity to colonize it is. There should be some celestial plane all the way up, with its own unique features. Maybe hell features bottomless pits into which you can dump anything you don't need, there should be heavens pit, if someone falls through them he lands on the ground unscratched, or maybe just opposite, anything falling from skies creates huge explosion on impact. While former would enable paratroopers which would be hilarious, the latter would let nobility to earn some respect amongst fellow dwarves.

As for too hight definition, it can be fixed as say 50 levels above the highest point of embark, with currently maps having 100-140 z-levels no one would miss 30 levels of stone if depth is reduced.

And of course breaching skies shouldn't be just building 50 staircases. Maybe something like this:
-you build huge tower and discover the roof of the world. But you can't just dig through it.
-you search for the heavens gates just like the way to hell, and build your way there.
-possibly there should be other obstacles, i.e. the heavens gate is undigable ice wall that isn't affected by temperature of biomes on the ground, so you'd have to bring some magma to melt it.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 10:30:23 am »

Celestium

Meltable by magma. The only way to get through the gates, actually. And then FUN.

I like paratroopers. A lot.

Or, rare foods and such that give dwarves (and others) that eat them special abilities. So the *spoilers* up there would get random traits, based off of the dead creatures around. Oh, and dead FB's would get up there too... but not be affected by stuff, and :shunned: by the *spoilers* up there.

me like.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 04:08:29 pm »

I like the idea that building too high has consequences. Flying creatures like giant eagles, dragons, and phoenixes should be attracted to it. Rewards for getting up there: dropping stones (assuming damage from falling stuff is fixed), nourishing manna.
Pages: [1] 2