Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Does Adamantine Glow?  (Read 7160 times)

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does Adamantine Glow?
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2010, 12:26:28 pm »

If we're going to be pedantic, though, which I am fully prepared to be, the only part of Middle-Earth that has been discussed in the thread has been Lord of the Rings, which corresponds to a short period in the Third Age. The Silmarillion is more like the RAWs in this excruciatingly twisted metaphor. :p

Also, are there angels in DF now? I haven't seriously played since 2010 was released.

Do perfect dwarves count?

On rare occasions they appear as migrants.

Otherwise, no angels don't exist.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2010, 06:23:49 pm »

no reason to think it glows.  Even if it was just blue mithril, mithril doesn't glow either.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Confused111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2010, 07:01:58 pm »

Maybe adamantine is just the concentrated souls of everyone who died via clowns.

So basically, you're mining people.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2010, 07:11:46 pm »

To add another bit of possible evidence, could Adamantine's color possibly be based off of Ithildin, a derivative of Mithril commonly known as "Starmoon" since it gives off a brilliant teal colored glow?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 07:13:37 pm »

Well, gods don't currently exist in Dwarf Fortress. That's just how it is. You get some engravings from time to time of the demons getting sealed away with adamantine, but it's never mentioned who actually did the sealing-away process. Most certainly not the gods. Maybe megabeasts, maybe titans, maybe dwarves that existed before the year 0 and somehow were able to cast adamantine or maybe it's something different entirely.
Yes, gods exist in LOTR, but they don't in Dwarf Fortress and that's just that.

I have never seen an engraving of demons being sealed away. Them being trapped by adamantine seems to be something conjured up by the community rather than stated by the game itself. As far as I'm concerned, demons are the ones that made adamantine and get pissed off because you steal it from them.

I fairly remember an engraving from Boatmurdered about demon being sealed in the time before time.

I shall find it and post.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:00 pm »

Doublepost, but!

Here you go!

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2010, 07:26:36 pm »

Doublepost, but!

Here you go!

Considering that's from one of the oldest versions of DF, I wouldn't consider it relevant anymore. I'm asking about engravings in the new version.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2010, 08:30:17 pm »

i dont remember where i read it but i think it was something toady said. the demons were banished to the core of the world, and the holes leading to the surface were plugged with adamantine to stop them getting out. the fact that they act more as seals then stockpiles or repositories make me beleive this over that the demons made it. and my own personal opinion on why copper picks can dig into it but demons cannot is that once the demons were sealed in, the gods blessed the outside world with their divine essence, allowing the races to begin or whatever, but more importantly accidently giving a little of their power to all the ores, which allows them to dig through the adamantine. but hey, we can argue this for pages and pages, but its all just opinions untill toady steps in and sets us straight.

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2010, 08:53:06 pm »

There is no way that Adamantine is Armok's metal, Otherwise, the Warhammers wouldn't suck.
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2010, 09:27:06 pm »

Doublepost, but!

Here you go!

Considering that's from one of the oldest versions of DF, I wouldn't consider it relevant anymore. I'm asking about engravings in the new version.
I Believe that is still relevant, as it was still the same game made by the same person, so would his ideas about the game change?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2010, 09:35:25 pm »

Doublepost, but!

Here you go!

I Believe that is still relevant, as it was still the same game made by the same person, so would his ideas about the game change?
Because ideas change over time?

I just find the idea of demons being sealed away by something that can be destroyed by a copper pick silly. Besides, how does this explain demonic fortresses, which appear to be both strongholds and traps created by demons? They exist outside of hell.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2010, 09:43:50 pm »

Doublepost, but!

Here you go!

Because ideas change over time?

I just find the idea of demons being sealed away by something that can be destroyed by a copper pick silly. Besides, how does this explain demonic fortresses, which appear to be both strongholds and traps created by demons? They exist outside of hell.
Demonic fortresses are explained by demons being released somewhere else in the world and building fortresses, because I doubt that only one fortress in a history of 1050 years is the only one to find adamantine, and while you may find the idea silly that they are sealed up with adamantine, there is proof, albeit old, that this happened, where as there is no naysaying proof of demons not being sealed up in adamantine by the gods.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 09:45:24 pm by Urist McUristy »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2010, 09:51:57 pm »

To add another bit of possible evidence, could Adamantine's color possibly be based off of Ithildin, a derivative of Mithril commonly known as "Starmoon" since it gives off a brilliant teal colored glow?

Technically Ithildin reflects star and moon light and does not produce any light or 'glow' of it's own.

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2010, 10:03:02 pm »

Sounds like we need to get the Word of God (aka, Toady) to confirm or deny this.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2010, 10:12:24 pm »

All this is very interesting and all, but what does it all have to do about a composite material made by American scientists during ww2?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5