Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are animals so attracted to Danger Rooms?  (Read 860 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Why are animals so attracted to Danger Rooms?
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »

This has been severely annoying me all day now.

WHY ARE CATS AND DOGS SO ATTRACTED TO MY DANGER ROOM!?

Seriously, what can they possible be thinking? "Ooh, a room full of huge moving spikes! I know, I'll go in there!"

And I can't even make the doors non pet-passable, since they just wait until a dwarf is passing through and then make their move. I've got a TRIPLE DOOR system to keep them out, and they STILL manage to get through! And the absolute worst thing is I can't just leave them to die, since that will cause a tantrum and will bring my fort to ruin.

So... why? Why must they ruin my Danger Room?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are animals so attracted to Danger Rooms?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:55:38 pm »

I once found no animal problems when I put my danger room off to the side of my fortress... behind a line of at least a dozen double wide, pet impassable airlocks. I also had multiple statue gardens, which seemed to attract most of the animals most of the time on their own. Are there animal caretakers/pet lovers in the military? Are some war dogs assigned to soldiers in training?

You could put all the creatures in cages, or create a more elaborate system depending on what you desire the animals to do.

My danger room ended up abandoned after it killed three moderately skilled, well armored dwarves in two seasons by jamming those training spears (only one per trap!) through their skulls.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:54:54 pm »

Yea, my current danger room is magnetic to pets. I have a series of pet impassable doors, but it never works in the end. I could cage the animals up, but I find it better to keep them loose to keep the kobolds from sneaking to close and causing job cancellation spam.

Best thing to do, build a waterfall in a communal area. Make some nice engravings, or build rooms to match the unhappy peoples desires.

Or you can do what I do...

"She doesn't really care about anything any more."
"He is a hardened individual."

Oh yea, sociopathic dwarves  8)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:58:48 pm »

i found regular caging next to the 1*1 meeting zone area + waterfall there works like a charm .. had no pet near my danger room area for years

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 12:36:29 am »

I do the whole danger room thing myself. Lock the door to the room. Stop the manual danger room training when the military dwarves get tired, hungry or thirsty. Start after a couple minutes till their skills are all high.

The reason I do this is both the pet problem, and also how the FPS goes down when a ton of upright spikes goes up and down. It's a huge pain in the ass, but then again, fortress mode has nothing going on when everything is stabilized (food, industries). After awhile, I could almost get used to watching a bunch of smiley faces in a room full of '|'. And they level up fast, too.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 12:52:24 am »

I do the whole danger room thing myself. Lock the door to the room. Stop the manual danger room training when the military dwarves get tired, hungry or thirsty. Start after a couple minutes till their skills are all high.

The reason I do this is both the pet problem, and also how the FPS goes down when a ton of upright spikes goes up and down. It's a huge pain in the ass, but then again, fortress mode has nothing going on when everything is stabilized (food, industries). After awhile, I could almost get used to watching a bunch of smiley faces in a room full of '|'. And they level up fast, too.

I use mine to kill migrants. social Darwinism at it's finest.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 01:26:34 am »

drop the animals off a 20+z-level high execution tower into your meeting area.  Profit as you have plenty of bone bolts now and nobody cares about anything.  ;D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 02:12:56 am »

I always leave my danger rooms to operate with a repeat lever pull.  If there's any problems I can turn them off at will.  A triple non-pet passable door usually ensures that I can spot offending pets before they die, or in the case of cats, ensure they die.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku