Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Definition of Globalization.  (Read 2065 times)

Toriad

• Bay Watcher
  • Awkward Silence
    • View Profile
Definition of Globalization.
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:50:52 pm »

An English princess with an Egyptian boyfriend crashes in a French tunnel, driving a German car with a Dutch engine, driven by a Belgian who was drunk on Scottish whiskey,

followed closely by Italian paparazzi on Japanese motorcycles;

treated by an American doctor, using Brazilian medicines.

This is sent to you by an American, using Bill Gate’s technology and you are probably reading this on your computer,

that uses Taiwanese chips and a Korean monitor, assembled by Bangladeshi workers in a Singapore plant; transported by Indian lorry-drivers, hijacked by Indonesians closely affiliated to Somali pirates, unloaded by Sicilian longshoremen and trucked to you by illegal Mexican workers…

And this my friends, is that is what Globalization is.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: Definition of Globalization.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:52:54 pm »

That was quite insightful.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 07:56:51 pm »

Didn't know there were so many illegal Mexicans in Europe?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 07:59:21 pm »

Or Bangladeshis in Singapore, or Somalis in Indonesia.  Good effort though.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:01:36 pm »

Globalization is people of different races, religions, nations and cultures working together to create wealth. Friedmann's Pencil, as it were.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 08:04:48 pm »

Friedmann's Pencil, as it were.

Or the Brooks' rootbeer in World War Z, for a more comedic and less Rand-ian example.

Where was the first electronic computer made anyway?  I want to say England for some reason.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 08:08:02 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC

Next time someone says military technology doesn't find civilian use, I'm linking this.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 08:10:42 pm »

It depends.  The first "programmable, digital, electronic, computing devices" computer was in Bletchley Park, designed to break axis codes, so I guess you could say the first computer was in England (although as Nikov says, the first general purpose one was in America).

...It was destroyed after the war, so it doesn't really have much relation to the computers following it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 08:16:19 pm »

I imagine the design and designers had something to contribute to the science.  I knew ENIAC was American, but I didn't think it was the first.  "General purpose" is a pretty big qualifier there, but hey.  It also appears the entire design staff was American (stands to reason for a military project), but one programmer of Chinese descent at least.  Surprising there isn't better online documentation of the staff.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 08:19:46 pm »

It depends.  The first "programmable, digital, electronic, computing devices" computer was in Bletchley Park, designed to break axis codes, so I guess you could say the first computer was in England (although as Nikov says, the first general purpose one was in America).

...It was destroyed after the war, so it doesn't really have much relation to the computers following it.
On the other hand, the first turning-complete machine (in the widest sense of the word) was the Z3, which was in Germany.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:21:26 pm by Virex »

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 02:07:43 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

Colossus was sort of general purpose but unlike modern computers the program code was stored in switches rather than electronic memory.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 11:21:57 am »

The greeks were pretty damn smart too you know. Don't worry, you were only off by about 2000 years :P

But yeah, not Turing Complete. Still a computer though. Computer is kind of a wide definition though. There's also the Jacquard loom, Babbage's Analytical Engine, Babbage's Difference Engine, fuck, even an Abacus is a computer. I have no idea about Turing-completeness for any of those though...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 03:22:52 pm »

Oceania is seriously underrepresented in whatever the hell the first post was going on about.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 04:34:57 pm »

The greeks were pretty damn smart too you know. Don't worry, you were only off by about 2000 years :P

But yeah, not Turing Complete. Still a computer though. Computer is kind of a wide definition though. There's also the Jacquard loom, Babbage's Analytical Engine, Babbage's Difference Engine, fuck, even an Abacus is a computer. I have no idea about Turing-completeness for any of those though...
The difference engine would've been turning complete if it would've worked. An abacus is ran by a human and since humans are turning complete (yes even that retarded mentally-3-year-old from the other side of the class room) any abacus is turning complete.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »

An English princess with an Egyptian boyfriend crashes in a French tunnel, driving a German car with a Dutch engine, driven by a Belgian who was drunk on Scottish whiskey,

followed closely by Italian paparazzi on Japanese motorcycles;

treated by an American doctor, using Brazilian medicines.

This is sent to you by an American, using Bill Gate’s technology and you are probably reading this on your computer,

that uses Taiwanese chips and a Korean monitor, assembled by Bangladeshi workers in a Singapore plant; transported by Indian lorry-drivers, hijacked by Indonesians closely affiliated to Somali pirates, unloaded by Sicilian longshoremen and trucked to you by illegal Mexican workers…

And this my friends, is that is what Globalization is.

And the post is being criticised by an Australian who was born in New Zealand.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: [1] 2