Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Death Squads  (Read 853 times)

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
Kobold Death Squads
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:21:00 pm »

Is it just me, or do they only ever come by when you have a big troop? It seems like they exist solely to kill off my companions. Individually they're harmless, and I run around decapitating them (or spilling their guts, grabbing them by the cuts, throwing them by their guts, and hacking their guts out--RIP and TEAR!!). But they fuck my soldiers up, and they only ever come when I have soldiers. When I wander the wilds alone, the worst I'll get is a death squad of two.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Death Squads
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »

I've been attacked by kobolds when I only have 3 companions, although they were all using shitty copper items and cave spider silk clothes. Some thieves they are.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:32:25 pm »

Well, sure. I've been attacked when I had no companions. But my question is, are the number of attackers per ambush related to the number of companions you have? Because in my experience, it seems like it.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 12:35:13 pm »

It could also be wealth-related, given kobold behavior.

I'm not sure if this was changed for the most recent update, but I couldn't believe I was encountering kobolds with steel crossbows and bolts.  That's never cool.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 12:36:48 pm »

I once got one shotted by a kobold bowman with an arrow through my neck.

Do not underestimate the kobold
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 12:51:38 pm »

It could also be wealth-related, given kobold behavior.

I'm not sure if this was changed for the most recent update, but I couldn't believe I was encountering kobolds with steel crossbows and bolts.  That's never cool.
Technically, due to their theft behavior they could have access to any weapon that other species have.

Well, sure. I've been attacked when I had no companions. But my question is, are the number of attackers per ambush related to the number of companions you have? Because in my experience, it seems like it.
Assuming that your party's wealth is also tied in with yours and that kobolds attack because of how much you're worth, probably. Most of the time you will get attacked if you roam in or around kobold territory, as with goblins.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:15:54 pm »

Huh. So is there a way to tell if I'm in kobold/goblin territory aside from getting a surprise visit?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 01:17:45 pm »

Nope.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 01:28:24 pm »

There is, but only by looking at Legends maps before adventuring. Once in adventure mode, you can't tell.

From what I've read around the forum, ambushes are connected to both your fame and how many companions you have.