Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22

Author Topic: Intensifying Mod ver 0.23  (Read 65201 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Intensifying Mod ver 0.XMAS
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2010, 11:22:37 pm »

‼HEADSPLOSIONS‼
well I believe DF first and foremost should be a game and should be !!FUN!!. Which elements which arent fun should be left out and which are fun should be totally exploited. All of the changes I've done are on that basis. However, if you think the game is any less complicated then vanilla DF then you are horribly mistaken. While there are indeed much less objects in this mod, I've been improving the way they can interact with each other. It might not have 11 tiers of (combat grade) metals, but the 6 ones left are drastically different with each other.

If you have played starcraft 2's single player campaign, you'd understand why adding random stuff into the game doesn't automatically make it more fun or complex. You get like a dozen or more units which never get used outside their introductory mission. In the last mission in example, I only used SCV, siege tank, marine, medic, thor and viking.

"The dwarves were unable to complete the Danger Room"

This occurred right when it was finishing gathering supplies for it. All the items are spread about the room I made for it. The only reason I can think this might happen is that my military dwarves picked up the battle axes I had intended for it.
Can you check the announcement and see why he abandoned the construction? I've never seen anything like that, to be honest. It might have something to do with the fact that the building require large amount of materials. If the announcement has been lost, open gamelog.txt and search for "danger room"
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2010, 12:06:31 am »

"The dwarves were unable to complete the Danger Room"

This occurred right when it was finishing gathering supplies for it. All the items are spread about the room I made for it. The only reason I can think this might happen is that my military dwarves picked up the battle axes I had intended for it.
Can you check the announcement and see why he abandoned the construction? I've never seen anything like that, to be honest. It might have something to do with the fact that the building require large amount of materials. If the announcement has been lost, open gamelog.txt and search for "danger room"
[/quote]

Stodir Tanducim, Planter cancels Construct Building: Job item lost or destroyed.
The dwarves were unable to complete the Danger Room.

I believe you were looking for that? I guess my assumption was correct.

Also, there isn't that much iron in the mountains, at least where I embarked(near a volcano, with igneous layers). Finding mostly copper/silver/gold, and have found only 3 iron veins in 4 years.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2010, 12:26:17 am »

Stodir Tanducim, Planter cancels Construct Building: Job item lost or destroyed.
The dwarves were unable to complete the Danger Room.

I believe you were looking for that? I guess my assumption was correct.

Also, there isn't that much iron in the mountains, at least where I embarked(near a volcano, with igneous layers). Finding mostly copper/silver/gold, and have found only 3 iron veins in 4 years.
Yep, I was looking for that. However, I dont think it's because of the militants claiming the axe since the items are flagged for job when you designate the building. I believe it's because the bin in which the axe is kept was moved. When the construction was forfeited said axe freed from the job and might get picked up by a militant after.

As on your iron remark, I'd look into it. Look like I've mistaken hematite (vein) with magnetite (large cluster)
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2010, 10:06:20 am »

Does this mod support Fortress Defense or Fortress Defense II (or both?)

Thanks,

-MB

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2010, 10:59:35 am »

Thanks,

-MB
Fortress Defense II. Fortress defense was for 31.12 I think. It should still work for 31.18 but I didnt test it.
EDIT: maybe I should clarify that later.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2010, 03:13:34 am »

I was fiddling with the raw and managed to clean blood off things in a relatively clean manner. What I did was simply making blood having a lower boiling point then body temperature of most creatures so when they spill onto other creatures they'd boil off. If you have temperature on, blood on the floor will periodically get rid of too, altho DF clean would be faster. This will work with saves and seem to work with vanilla so try it and see if it help FPS:

How to use:
1) Back up the raw\objects\material_template_default.txt in your save folder.
2) Replace said file with this: http://www.mediafire.com/?9id52mutlz7t20o
3) Load the game, momentary unpause it to clean blood, save
4) Relace the file with your old material_template_default.txt
5) Load and resume play as normal

The down side of playing with this material template permanently in the game is that blood is never ever ever ever tracked; combat will be pretty hard to follow and slow cause creatures periodically exude blood whenever they got hit and blood merchants might get some hard timeBlood in barrels seem to get along fine. But if you fancy !!BLOODLESS!! games, maybe give it a try and provide feedback?

EDIT: Tried to boil all the blood in hellfort. With temperature FPS went 10 -> 11 and without temp FPS went 14 -> 17. Looking good.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 03:39:43 am by rephikul »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2010, 01:16:41 pm »

Thanks,

-MB
Fortress Defense II. Fortress defense was for 31.12 I think. It should still work for 31.18 but I didnt test it.
EDIT: maybe I should clarify that later.

Fortress Defense should theoretically work for all versions since 0.12 (and probably some before) with the exception of .13 and .14. However, the balance of the mod is completely off and no entities create fortresses.

Use Fortress Defense II, which is the one that I update.

Also, this version of Fortress Defense II avoids enemies that are the same size as dwarves, presumably preventing dwarves from equipping their armor and thus wearing unintended types of armor/clothing.

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2010, 06:18:48 pm »

Another compliment for the mod!

My novice swordsdwarf militia captain was called to duty to defend my outside food stockpile from a HUGE flock of vultures.

It's safe to say she failed.

The vultures swooped in, blotting out the sun, and my dwarf could bat ineffectively at one or two of them as the ran off with every single piece of food they had.

Then, as a nice finishing move, she chased one of the vultures to the edge of the map, where she was assaulted by a mountain goat, who ate her effing lunch.  Just to be clear, this goat was not undead.  It killed her with one shot (injecting something called shockwave), and now it's lurking, bloody, at the edge of my wood stockpile.

Awesome.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2010, 10:51:40 pm »

Another compliment for the mod!

My novice swordsdwarf militia captain was called to duty to defend my outside food stockpile from a HUGE flock of vultures.

It's safe to say she failed.

The vultures swooped in, blotting out the sun, and my dwarf could bat ineffectively at one or two of them as the ran off with every single piece of food they had.

Then, as a nice finishing move, she chased one of the vultures to the edge of the map, where she was assaulted by a mountain goat, who ate her effing lunch.  Just to be clear, this goat was not undead.  It killed her with one shot (injecting something called shockwave), and now it's lurking, bloody, at the edge of my wood stockpile.

Awesome.
Despite being large in quantity, vultures are actually a very low threat and a very fun one to combat. They are benign, you can scare them off just by assigning some meeting zones at the edge of the stockpile. Your animals will patrol that for you. With the stockpile protected, you now have time to figure out ways to deliver a more permanent solution onto them.

If you tried them with god mode in the arena, shockwave 's syndrome is blunt trauma which cause short stun if not resisted. You can find details on the custom syndromes here

I think I should start detailing features on the first post... It's getting longer and people are not interested in reading the whole damn thread with more then half of it being me rambling nonsensically.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2010, 02:04:03 am »

I'm finalizing the next version, release is soon. If you have found any bugs in the current version, kindly report them. Namely, I'd like to know if anyone has managed to get abaddon "ambush" in 0.08 before I change it.

Issues known atm:
+ "tan a hide" reaction got an error and produce 5 pieces of leather for one skin.
+ abaddons dont seem to spawn.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2010, 04:08:59 pm »

First fortress with this mod: The embark position puts me right on a frozen river. Less than five seconds after starting, the river thaws and my only survivor is my miner. Who proceeds to throw tantrums until he dies of dehydration.

...Time to restart.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Intensifying Mod ver 0.NY
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2010, 02:39:18 am »

0.09 Changes
+ Revised forgotten beast body parts similar to that of normal creatures
+ Blood/fat/tallow/seed/pus now rot and hopefully would eventually dissappear
+ Add a blood splatter killer as optional file
+ Revised iron / silver / gold distribution
+ Revised megabeast growth rate. They now instantly grow to maturity.
+ Adjusted value of booze, crop and meat products.
+ Tweaked equipment stats and coverage
+ Walked around the armor bug, creatures now wear full armor
+ Elves & Goblins resized to large as a part of armor tweaking.
+ Adjusted abaddon's behavior. Less annoying or deadly.

=== Splatter tweak ===

+ Blood/fat/tallow/seed/pus now rot and hopefully would eventually dissappear
+ Add a blood splatter killer as optional file

I really hate FPS loss due to splatters, but I like the idea that I can look at the ground and tell what glorious battle has occured just from those splatter. That's why I've never gone so far as to eliminate blood all together. Bloody is dwarfy. Thus I've decided to make it slowly dissipate and add an option to manually clean all of those mess if the player wish. It seems to work.

=== Armor tweak ===

+ Walked around the armor bug, creatures now wear full armor
+ Elves & Goblins resized to large as a part of armor tweaking.

I noticed this armor issue (bug 3838) when play testing for 0.08. Even FD creatures were a joke cause nothing protected their hands and legs and they can easilly bled out thanks to the new improved targeting. I've walked around it by changing many equipments to clothing and ensure dwarves is the only size 60k race, effectively fooling the game into using them as proper armors :) Every since, sieges have been much harder. Note that if you play FD mode you need to use the version especially made for IM here. Thanks to darkflagrance for listening to my selfish request.

=== Economy tweak ===

+ Adjusted value of booze, crop and meat products.

This is part 1 of the economy overhaul. There'd be more to come and maybe some more interesting creatures and plants introduced. Generally I've never liked how overland crop and meat industry being so good comparing to traditional dwarfy underground farm so I've nerfed them in various ways or form. In the future I'd adjust their use and distribution to keep them useful where they exist but will still make sure players can still live without them. And you shouldnt be able to overfarm them either. Main food source should always be underground crop and main export should always be stone.

Meat industry changes: There're only 3 kinds of creatures, easy to get (value 1) which cover everything you can tame; hard to get (value 2) which cover any mundane creatures you cannot tame and finally megabeasts (value 5) Since this change, mass farming meat to sell to trade is very time ineffective comparing to exporting metal wares. Unfortunately both rocks and metal have seen much more uses since version 0.07 so it'd be a hard choice on what to export :) Meat nerf seem incredibly heavy, but this is well compensated by the ridiculous amount of creatures you can catch anyway, there's no excuse!!

Overland crop changes: Overland crop's seed are inedible. Overland crops are heavy and generally has value of 1 in all aspects save for sun berries and whip vines. They also grow very slowly, at least twice as slow as all other underground crops. The redeeming value of overland crop is ease of production and year-round growth. This'd make overland crop too heavy for trading but still good enough to forage and consume until you have some underground farms going. Prime example: 18 strawberry roast weight 3600 urist. A horse can only carry 3000. Ya...

Underground crop change: All boozes are also of value 1 as overland crops. All plants save for plump helmets cannot be eaten raw. However, processed food made from underground crops have value of 5, making them the best stuff to eat. Plump helmets, having no processed products, are simply quick to grow, emergency year-round food+booze. However, it can be milled into the only dye in the game...

Booze change: booze can no longer be cooked. Note that booze should also rot now (takes 3-4 years or so). so you dont need to worry about overstocking booze. Since boozes have low value, it's also harder to sustain happiness with legendary drinks.

Spoiler: The future of this mod (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:53:33 am by rephikul »

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2010, 11:48:12 am »

I like this mod and am using it for .18.

Do  you happen to have a dl for the last version you made for 31.16?

Thanks!!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2010, 12:53:40 pm »

tp answer for both darkfragance and me, as with anything 31. the raw are compatible. errorlog will spam you with stuff but it'd still run. Since runesmith only work with .16 I sometimes need to use it to test new creatures too. I've personally tried IM+FD on .16 and managed to gen world and play without any issues. Just install the mod as normal and enjoy :)

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2010, 02:46:49 pm »

Thanks for the help  :D
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22