Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dropping out of school?  (Read 6395 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Dropping out of school?
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2010, 11:01:18 pm »

My situation is hardly typical, but I dropped out at 16 years old and aced my GED, worked construction until I was 18, then went into the military for 4 years and came out with the education and training to get a very nice job.

Might be something to consider.

What year did you enlist? You sure got lucky. GED is not considered equivalent to a high school diploma as far as that goes, and the quota for GED / non-high school graduates is damn low.
You aren't kidding, I got extremely lucky. I was one of 8 GED enlisted from my area IIRC. I joined the USAF in 2002 and served active duty until 2006, then inactive reserves until May 2010.

As I said, my situation is hardly typical but I figured the military was worth consideration and I know the Army lately has been taking some people even without a highschool diploma from the DC area. You're pretty much guaranteed to go infantry though.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2010, 11:21:01 pm »

Bill Gates never finished college :P
Yes, but he scored a 1590 out of 1600 on his SAT test too. :P

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2010, 12:22:07 am »

200/month including electricity? Jesus christ. I've got more housemates than you and we pay way more than that, even rounding out the various included utilities, and it's still one of the cheapest places we could find while looking for a lease. Where is this magical rentland?
The midwest, just outside the ghetto into Best Buy-scale commercial district, in Racine WI, home of state correctional's release program and retarded amounts of snow <3 But it's pretty awesome, six hundred a month for two bedrooms, kitchen w/ appliances included, two bathroom sink area places, large living room, free water (not including the electricity to heat), washer/dryer, storage space, bike trail nearby, plus a friendly-sort police officer is one of our neighbors, so we've got our own armed protection should we need it, haha. How this fell into our lap I have no idea O.o Maybe there's something to my roommate's witchcraft.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Pirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2010, 02:47:09 pm »

Rooster,
I really hope you won't do it. I'm Polish too, and I also hate school and have trouble learning outside of it. But without high school you seriously won't get any job here. I'm not in high school any more. I'm at the university right now, and I almost dropped out of it last year. I seriously wanted to do it at one point. Now I know that it would be the worst mistake of my life. Suck it up and finish high school. Seriously. Then you'll be able to get a decent job if your artist career won't turn out well.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2010, 04:14:41 pm »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2010, 07:50:53 pm »

Drag your ass through high school and then go for an apprenticeship. That is much more hands on, and pays decently. Face it, a trade or a diploma is needed to go anywhere now so stick with it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 05:15:59 am »

You know there has been some ranting that I heard about needing work experience when going straight out of school. The heck?

Somebody explain this to me: There are people straight out of school, in their twenties, finished university. Now when applying for job we're expected to have some experience? From where. These people are straight out of school. Other than this, there is a possibility of being refused work for being overqualified.
If these people wouldn't want to have this job they wouldn't have applied

:/

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 06:09:58 am »

You know there has been some ranting that I heard about needing work experience when going straight out of school. The heck?

Somebody explain this to me: There are people straight out of school, in their twenties, finished university. Now when applying for job we're expected to have some experience? From where. These people are straight out of school. Other than this, there is a possibility of being refused work for being overqualified.
If these people wouldn't want to have this job they wouldn't have applied

:/
A lot of schools do internship programs which gives you that experience.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 09:36:51 am »

The problem is that most places want at least six years of very specific experience - for an entry-level (minimum wage) position. While internships are all well and good, the only way to get experience aside from them is by actually working, and it's rather hard to get experience when no one will hire an inexperienced young adult so that they can get experience because they don't have enough experience to get experience.

See what the problem is here? It's a logic loop, much like some people need to get a better job to afford college to get a better job to afford college ad infinitum.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2010, 09:37:59 am »

The problem is that most places want at least six years of very specific experience - for an entry-level (minimum wage) position. While internships are all well and good, the only way to get experience aside from them is by actually working, and it's rather hard to get experience when no one will hire an inexperienced young adult so that they can get experience because they don't have enough experience to get experience.

See what the problem is here? It's a logic loop, much like some people need to get a better job to afford college to get a better job to afford college ad infinitum.
What industry are we talking about? I've seen entry-level IT helpdesk positions which would take people with a degree OR equivalent experience.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2010, 09:45:11 am »

*coughs*

Uh - entry-level IT helpdesk that wants six year's experience in customer service. It's the same with most places I've tried to get a job at in the past two years. Actual phone call follows (paraphrased):

Company Spokesperson: "Do you have six year's experience in customer service?"
Me: "Uh, no. That's why I'm applying for an entry-level position at minimum wage."
CS: "Well, if you don't have that experience, you should get a job and come back in six years."
Me: "And where am I supposed to get a job if everyone is telling me this?"
CS: "We're not an employment agency, go ask someone at one."
Me: "But I need a job. I've been looking for one for over two years."
CS: "I'm sorry, but unless you have the experience, we can't hire you."
Me: "What."

It went of from there, slowly degrading into more stupidity on the spokeperson's part and more incredulity on my part.

Obviously I didn't get the job :/

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2010, 09:47:32 am »

So next time say yes and lie, especially if you know you can do the job. -shrug-

Or get a job as a sales associate in best buy while you look for something better, then you can tell them you DO have customer service experience.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2010, 09:51:44 am »

Yeah, I prefer not to lie.

And I can't even get a job at BB as a sales associate. Abso-fucking-lutely NO ONE will hire me. I'm not blacklisted or anything like that, but NO ONE will hire me.

In the past couple of years, I got within inches of a job at a local pool supply store that was short-handed...

...and then they transferred someone from another store, thus taking the slot that I would have gotten.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2010, 09:55:03 am »

What? The Bestbuy here takes kids with no education or experience, so long as you aren't super creepy or socially inept. I guess yours is more discerning.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2010, 10:08:13 am »

*shrugs*

It's Arizona.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6