Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Going to hell  (Read 3762 times)

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Going to hell
« on: November 15, 2010, 04:31:46 pm »

On df wiki i read that we can go to hell and that there are demons and such but is it only for fortress mode? I was wondering if all creatures in fortress mode exist in adventurer can anyone enlighten me please?

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Going to hell
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 05:43:03 pm »

They definitly exist but reaching them is another matter.

Ive come across demons, but only on the surface. Bizzarly i once found about 5 glass demons hunting down dwarf refugies from an abandonment of a fortress that had not penetrated hell.

If you want to go to hell, my suggestion is penetrate in fortress mode, with a good easily accessible stair, then abandon (if your not all slaughtered) and then return to the fortress in adventure mode.

There maybe a way through the underground but ive never found it, some one else might have. You can get into the underground through certain caves, but they are harder to find now night creature lairs are in.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:47:10 pm »

Used to be that all caves connected to the underground - this isn't the case anymore, but some still do.
Once you're down in the caves, you have to find a way down to the third layer, then find a curious structure. It will have a path down to the Home For Infinite Losers. These aren't easy to find, though.

Your other option is breaching it with a fortress, then abandoning. Watch out that you don't leave behind too many ghosts, since they can and will murder any adventurers that disturb their rest.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:47:09 pm »

Watch out that you don't leave behind too many ghosts, since they can and will murder any adventurers that disturb their rest.
Really? That's neat. Is there any defense against that, or do they just say "Boo" and then the death message appears?

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:50:33 pm »

Well, I ran into one of my "violent ghosts" who battered me to death, no save.
I imagine murderous ghosts will do the insta-kill thing.
Not sure about the rest. Killer ghostie was right at the entrance.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:03:14 pm »

The natural ways into hell are one per 16x16 block, and since you can't see the fast travel map that can take some searching.  Also they're only on the bottom cave layer, and ramps down layers are rarer. 

So yeah, fortress with miners and dig a shaft down to the third layer and either find the structure later in adventure mode or break into hell the conventional way.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:54:59 am »

Well there *is* the spoiler castle, whatever people call it these days-- 1 in 16 embark tiles have one underneath--big ol' castle full of horrors and one really nice sword that you really, really shouldn't pull out unless you are ready to meet your doom in large numbers.  You can always dig down just to the castle and give your adventurer a fun journey out.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 02:45:08 pm »

There was also the region someone generated which somehow had a hole open to hell from the start, whose save is downloaded somewhere.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:07:06 pm »

The natural ways into hell are one per 16x16 block, and since you can't see the fast travel map that can take some searching.  Also they're only on the bottom cave layer, and ramps down layers are rarer. 
Caverns are connected quite often but there's no way using these connections includes 50-70 levels falling.
Consider modding your adventurer to fly and seek those, or to be magmasafe and diving into volcano as they sometimes have connections with caverns too.  :D

Hm... I guess I'll try out volcano way myself when I get some freetime.

Edit: Nay that's not gona work  :(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:19:34 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 09:48:25 pm »

The trick to knowing which  caves connect to the underground is using the [Q]uest buttn and moving the cursor over them on the map. If they say "cave" they should connect. If they say "Lair", they won't. The trick, however, is that the underground is not hell. Supposedly there are rather cool access points down there, but I've never actually been able to find one, despite numerous adventures down in the 3rd level caverns.

Also, sleeping down there is... difficult. I reccomend finding the most out of the way hidden corridors possible.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 10:09:46 pm »

Caverns are connected quite often but there's no way using these connections includes 50-70 levels falling.
Consider modding your adventurer to fly and seek those, or to be magmasafe and diving into volcano as they sometimes have connections with caverns too.  :D

Hm... I guess I'll try out volcano way myself when I get some freetime.

Edit: Nay that's not gona work  :(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you're modding, you may as well add these two tags:

Code: [Select]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[MAGMA_VISION]

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:24:53 pm »

Aw, and here I thought MAGMA VISION was like Superman's laser vision.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 11:48:11 pm »

Aw, and here I thought MAGMA VISION was like Superman's laser vision.
Enabling you to shoot out magma out of your eyes? Hah, every dorf's wet dream....actually, maybe number 2 or 3 in their list.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 04:25:30 pm »

I once made it into a Demonic Fortress in adventure mode. I was ambushed by zombie ant men, when I dodged off a cliff I landed in the top level. I went to the bottom and got an adamantine scimitar. I couldn't make it to the top lever though cause of the demons.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 04:46:03 pm »

It will have a path down to the Home For Infinite Losers.

And the nostalgia comes pouring in.

But yes, HFS is in adventure mode, and can be accessed through certain caves. (But you'll probably be killed by demons.)
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: [1] 2