Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you start with armor.  (Read 2901 times)

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you start with armor.
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 03:20:32 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:35:45 pm by Bronimin »

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 04:00:31 pm »

My last adventurer in genesis got ambushed by vampires at night, thought this was fitting

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 04:06:50 pm »

Demigod stats with superior toughness, willpower, and recuperation+at least a couple points in armour, dodge, fighter, swimmer, thrower, and a high weapon skill.

A peasant or hero benefits most from the followers he gets rather than whatever armor he gets from the first quest (if any).  At low levels of toughness you pass out too easily and if you don't have a meatshield you will be the sole target of multiple attackers which is pretty much guaranteed death with the new combat system.  As a demigod I played through a long and brutal solo campagin as a test using only a bronze breastplate which led to an annoying amount of scars (It should just say your whole body is an unrecognizable mess of scars instead of pages of scars and dents) and I ended the game as a pincushion because I refused to pull out all the stuff people left in my body.  Still I managed to get very far by myself, though I had a few close calls due to my unarmored head.  I fought all my battles by running backwards and separating the enemy from their limbs whenever one of them gets close (with a sword it was easy as almost all my attacks took off a limb).  I wasn't ever injured in the chest up to my death which was when I was surrounded by about 20 goblins and got hacked to bits.

imo all armor is important because not only does it protect you from bleeding out in an ambush from nicks and bites it also protects various vital functions that are important to every adventurer.  An injury to the leg will not only prevent you from running it will impair your ability to fight as well (carry around crutches?). Not to mention it also protects you from  nervous and spinal injuries that are irreparable.  The downside of armor is it's annoying if you wanna play as one armed spear user or a paraplegic monk.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:19:41 pm by Teach »

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 06:03:40 pm »

How are damages for misc. objects like shields calculated, anyways. Simply by mass?
And what ways do we have to check the mass and volume of objects?
And what determines how much fits into a container?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 04:47:10 pm »

Huh. I always start with bronze armor, Human or Dwarf. This makes my characters a bit overpowered. I can kill a polar bear without a problem.

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 07:33:21 pm »

I found my first ever piece of dorf-sized metal armour (copper leggings) in 0.31.18 in a dragon's den today. Why is it so ridiculously rare?

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 12:43:48 am »

I found my first ever piece of dorf-sized metal armour (copper leggings) in 0.31.18 in a dragon's den today. Why is it so ridiculously rare?

You playin as a dorf?

drystan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 05:17:51 am »

No, as a human. But I had a dorf who took down a bronze colossus but still never found a solitary piece of armour to wear.  It gets frustrating.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 03:55:34 pm »

I sorta cheated, I put in a Marsh/swamp dwelling Dwarf Civ in my game so i can get a hold of Dwarf Sized armor from stores,  I need to fine tune them more to give them a bit more flavor.   Trader-Orientated dwarves that live above ground!  I know  what blasphemy!  but it's a nice bonus in Adventure mode.
Pages: 1 2 [3]