Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How do you start with armor.  (Read 2909 times)

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you start with armor.
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 06:21:50 pm »

Armour is overrated. Dodging, a shield, and getting the first hits in are all at least as important as clunky metal clothing.

But when you do get hit your screwed.
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 06:29:21 pm »

Hits go through armour as often as they're blocked by it. Having it can't hurt much aside from the weight, but not having armour isn't much of a worry. The only kind of damage that's really blocked by it is the kind that doesn't kill you anyways.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Sneevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 06:42:31 pm »

Depends of the material the armour is made of copper weapons  do exactly jack against well-crafted iron armor

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 06:43:17 pm »

Well, I have to say my experience differs from Khan's - I haven't been hit in the chest once since I got an iron breastplate from some goblin soldiers. Protects me from torn hearts, broken upper spines, severed lungs, not to mention that it keeps them from even trying to attack it.
Lower body, upper body and head armor is definitely worth it, since those are the insta-kill locations. Next-best are gauntlets to keep you from losing your weapon and shield from a lucky strike. I don't know if a non-blue mail shirt will keep a greataxe from removing your arm, but it can't hurt.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 07:02:56 pm »

Let me rephrase then.

Low-power grunt enemies in high numbers will kill you regardless of armour because not everything is armoured, and lucky shots get through eventually. High-power beasts and hammerers say fuck you to your armour and hit right through it.

Personally, I put on armour when I find it, on account of the occasional deflection, but I'm just as happy not having it, what with the higher speed. Being able to manoeuvre effectively and to avoid being in range for getting it in the first place is more valuable to me than maybe or maybe not having an attack get through armour that it may not or perhaps may even just go around (throat etc.).
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 07:08:50 pm »

To actually address the original post, starting without armor is intended, I believe.

Not finding it anywhere is however a bug.  That should apparently be fixed in .18

Vi Et Armis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 08:37:32 pm »

I have slowly accumulated a mostly steel armor suit, but I've had to kill three dragons, two titans, and a lot of dwarf ambushes to get it. It is not easy.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 11:12:02 pm »

Bandit camps usually have loot bags with armor.  Human armor, anyway.  Starting without armor is a nice way of making the first few quests exciting.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 01:56:12 am »

Bandit camps usually have loot bags with armor.

Yeah, that's been where I've been getting all of my armor.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 03:18:31 am »

Let me rephrase then.

Low-power grunt enemies in high numbers will kill you regardless of armour because not everything is armoured, and lucky shots get through eventually. High-power beasts and hammerers say fuck you to your armour and hit right through it.

Personally, I put on armour when I find it, on account of the occasional deflection, but I'm just as happy not having it, what with the higher speed. Being able to manoeuvre effectively and to avoid being in range for getting it in the first place is more valuable to me than maybe or maybe not having an attack get through armour that it may not or perhaps may even just go around (throat etc.).

giant cave spiders tend to bite you in the head. an iron helmet does wonder against them.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 03:37:54 am »

Had a elven lord who attacked me with a wooden sword. He was bashing on my bronze armor all the while doing no damage. I couldn't hit him with my axe (dodgy bastard) so he was lucky and managed to damage my (unprotected feet). After a while I faded out because of fatigue. He continued to pommel me. When I woke again I was legendary in two skills and able to one hit him. Must have been a sight. Strange that you gain experience while unconsious. ;)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 05:39:55 am »

i have taken to storeing extra armor and weapons in a cave for the next hero.

still i love my human sized steel mail shirt to much to let them have it.

any armor even a copper mail shirt is better than no armor.
the job of armo is not to stop attacks but weaken them.
if your armor slows you down then use less
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 01:22:46 pm »

Armor skill is important when wearing armor too

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 01:56:38 pm »

Armour can be a pain when the enemy have it and you don't have steel to penetrate it. This is what wrestling is for - I strip them during combat and put on their armour while they're watching. Thankfully training wrestling is really easy if you set combat preferences to "close combat" and beat up some (harmless!) wildlife.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 01:59:13 pm »

Take off their helmet then chop head off or what i do when their armor is good is bash em in face wiht shield xD
Pages: 1 [2] 3