Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you start with armor.  (Read 2908 times)

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you start with armor.
« on: November 15, 2010, 01:05:28 pm »

How do you start with armor?  I have played at least a dozen characters in adventure mode, each time starting with no armor.  I have yet to find any shops that sell armor either. 

Help
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you start with armor.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:12:42 pm »

Try raising armour skill as much as you can but you'd start with leather armor only i think

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:14:40 pm »

Try raising armour skill as much as you can but you'd start with leather armor only i think

I started a demigod with max armor skill, and still no armor.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:16:06 pm »

Were you human?

VDOgamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 01:23:28 pm »

Are you choosing the "Human outsider" option? I've had that one cause some problems.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 01:23:41 pm »

Sneak into a lair, if you are lucky, you can steal some equipment and get away. If you are not, your kidneys and brain will end up on a frying pan.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 01:24:15 pm »

Ive played dwarfs and humans, and never played outsider

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 01:38:40 pm »

Just be badass and charge at night creatures wearing clothes and using a shield and a weapon. They're killable enough, way easier than bandits actually, in most cases anyway. Then pilfer whatever it has lying around its lair. I've encountered full suits of armour.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 02:07:48 pm »

Sneak into a lair, if you are lucky, you can steal some equipment and get away. If you are not, your kidneys and brain will end up on a frying pan.
I bit off a night creatures head as a human.

They arent so tough when they dont kick your brains into mush.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 02:29:55 pm »

I bit off a night creatures head as a human.

They arent so tough when they dont kick your brains into mush.

Just try to bite them in the head and shake it a lot if all else fails. Also, try to de-feet and dis-arm them if you can when you can't bash their head in/bite their head off.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »

Whenever you've slaughtered a kobold ambush, take some time to check their corpses. I found a steel shield that way.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 03:16:53 pm »

Whenever you've slaughtered a kobold ambush, take some time to check their corpses. I found a steel shield that way.

This. The best weapons my adventurers have ever wielded came from kobold ambushes. My speardwarf got a steel spear from one, and another got a steel sword, to name a few.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 04:00:11 pm »

Incidentally there are armour shops out there, sellling no-quality bronze stuff (human shops). But THE best way to get armour takes some preparation: spawn an adventurer and retire in some known location. Start a fortress nearby in a known location and get some equipment built or imported. Then abandon the fortress and go collect your custom-made loot. You may experience some decay in skills/attribute/rep.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 04:19:26 pm »

The one adventurer I had that survived more than the first quest armored up to chain mail pretty quickly just by scouring lairs/camps for stuff. Later on I found an armor shop and added boots and a helmet.

Then I got cocky and rushed a D ahead of my party and got killed. :(

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 04:22:10 pm »

Armour is overrated. Dodging, a shield, and getting the first hits in are all at least as important as clunky metal clothing.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!
Pages: [1] 2 3