Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210771 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I was talking about getting camo on a single crewmember (the commander in this case) which gives a couple of meters, even less if you shoot. Taking it for the whole crew on anything but a tank that is already good at hiding isn't really that effective since repairs are much more useful in keeping you alive than staying hidden for several more meters will.

And the bonus on Mentor may not be big, especially before 50% but it adds up over a number of battles.

Also I guess it comes down to approach for the most part, you guys would rather not get shot at while I know I'm going to get shot at because of my usually agressive style of play in which case repairs are a must have.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also play very agressively and camo is still superior choice still. Repair skill only starts to help when you are already tracked or worse, without repair kit and you have more than one big slow loading gun pointing at you. Ie. not often at all.

The skills and perks arent balanced very well imho.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was talking about getting camo on a single crewmember (the commander in this case) which gives a couple of meters, even less if you shoot. Taking it for the whole crew on anything but a tank that is already good at hiding isn't really that effective since repairs are much more useful in keeping you alive than staying hidden for several more meters will.

And the bonus on Mentor may not be big, especially before 50% but it adds up over a number of battles.

Also I guess it comes down to approach for the most part, you guys would rather not get shot at while I know I'm going to get shot at because of my usually agressive style of play in which case repairs are a must have.

This is a Cent though, you can't play the Cent 1 aggressively, it has poor alpha and dpm, terrible accuracy on the move, and its gigantic and paper. All it has going for it is high pen and great accuracy. It's a camo sniper without the camo, so the best thing to do is to give it camo. The Cent 7/1 is exactly the same.

It takes a few full crew skills of experience just to break even on the crew exp you lost by getting Mentor instead of another skill, and for the entirety of that time you were playing with a skill that is useless in combat and you would have performed better if you went repairs/camo/etc. instead. So even when it does break even, you will have earned less exp overall than you would have if you'd had a useful skill. There's no reason to get it, ever.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I barely ever have my crew train in camo because I never play my tanks as campers. Even my TDs are at the front lines (or right behind) or flanking the enemies in faster TDs. Sure I die a lot and have a bad damage done to damage received ratio, but its much more fun than sitting in a bush shooting at tanks other people spot.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I barely ever have my crew train in camo because I never play my tanks as campers. Even my TDs are at the front lines (or right behind) or flanking the enemies in faster TDs. Sure I die a lot and have a bad damage done to damage received ratio, but its much more fun than sitting in a bush shooting at tanks other people spot.

What do you train instead? Even if you stay mobile and close to the enemy, camo is still a better option than most of the alternatives, for most tanks... It often lets you score the first hit without retaliation. IMO every little bit helps for both camo and view range, where other skills kick in only occasionally.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I train camo on my scout tank crews (WZ-131), with camo net and binoculars I can sit in the middle of malinovka (and other maps) and passive spot everything from inside a single bush.

Like you Erils, I can't play a camping vehicle, I despise any tank where I am unable to take initiative.

It always saddens me when I enter a game and a friendly says: "don't advance, let them come to us", cause this was probably once a player who would try to advance and after many many games of dying to tank destroyers, thought to himself, camping must be the superior strategy, then starts researching tank destroyers and camping 100 meters out of spawn. Thus, the evolution of a bad player is complete.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I train camo on my scout tank crews (WZ-131), with camo net and binoculars I can sit in the middle of malinovka (and other maps) and passive spot everything from inside a single bush.

Like you Erils, I can't play a camping vehicle, I despise any tank where I am unable to take initiative.

It always saddens me when I enter a game and a friendly says: "don't advance, let them come to us", cause this was probably once a player who would try to advance and after many many games of dying to tank destroyers, thought to himself, camping must be the superior strategy, then starts researching tank destroyers and camping 100 meters out of spawn. Thus, the evolution of a bad player is complete.

There's notm uch else you can do on malinovka tho. TDs here and only bushes between you and them.
And it gets even worse with assault maps where defending TDs get all the time in the world to get to their camping spot while attackers all have to get through their killzone... so they send one tank to scout.
In the best scenario he will spot at least part of the camping TDs and let his team barrage them for a second or two hopefully killing some of them.
In the worst he will die without spottig anything becayse the TDs have a non shooting scout while they parked 5 meters behind the bushes.

And that's the way World of Camps works.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have assault turned off because its a terrible game mode  :P

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I only play Standard, every time I platoon with somebody that has one of the other modes turned on, I get so confused :P

Encounter isnt bad, but I figure that:

1. The maps are made primarily with standard in mind, so balance and gameplay are probably best in that mode
2. Playing standard only lets me master maps quicker. Instead of Standard's 2, I need to learn the best positions on all 4/6 spawns on Encounter/Assault.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I also disabled assault. I do have enouncter because i like the pressure given to bot (or at least one) side to move and stop camping. It also makes the Magical Forest or the Road in west Prokhorovka far less populated... and thank god.
Self promotion below.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

For some reason I rekindled my interest in this bad habit of a game and I'm wondering, is there anyone on NA East who plays? It's kinda boring alone.

EDIT: IGN is Facekillz058 if you guys want to add me.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:47:11 am by Jopax »
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

So I unlocked the Crusader SP today. And bought it, because hey, the accuracy can't be that bad, it's only .2 worse than on the FV304. Nope, what the number doesn't tell you is that the aim circle isn't a circle as much as it's a fucking elipse that's about three times as long as it is wide. Hitting moving targets is impossible, hitting stationary ones is a gamble that you will lose more often than not.

I've had a match of completely ineffectual counter battery fire because all my shots went wide, even though I knew where all their arties were.

Fucking bullshit.
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I unlocked the Crusader SP today. And bought it, because hey, the accuracy can't be that bad, it's only .2 worse than on the FV304. Nope, what the number doesn't tell you is that the aim circle isn't a circle as much as it's a fucking elipse that's about three times as long as it is wide. Hitting moving targets is impossible, hitting stationary ones is a gamble that you will lose more often than not.

I've had a match of completely ineffectual counter battery fire because all my shots went wide, even though I knew where all their arties were.

Fucking bullshit.

SPGs in a nutshell. I only ever use my S-51 with AP shells for the occasional laugh when it hits and penetrates.
Self promotion below.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 251