Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 210821 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I always pay some credits to have at LEAST a 75% crew, and I tend to bring my old crew up through the tiers. My Ferdinand crew have almost three skills so far, and I plan to keep them through the JgPzE100. My French light tank crew have been there since at least the ELC, and I'll keep them for the rest of the line through the B-C 25. I've had to play some tanks with inexperienced crew, and it was horrible.

On a side note, I actually liked the B1 as long as it was with tiers 4 and below. I once managed a 1000 XP (non-premium) match in it, since it can bounce just about every tier 4 or below shell.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile

Yeah. The tier 4 heavies, including the duck, because its a freaking heavy no matter what the game claims otherwise, are quite spectacular. At tier 4. Period. I've had fantastic games in the D.W.2. At tier 4. I've carried games in the D.W. 2. At tier 4. Anything beyond that and you're mediocre to terrible. Not saying you can't do well and have a good game or bloody somebody's nose if they underestimate you. But your tank is so low performance against tier 5's, or god help you tier 6's, that the odds are stacked against you.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The tier 4 heavies are horrible against anything that's not tier 4 at most.
Also i'd like to pont out taht matilda (a medium) is ok even in tier 6 matches.
Wargaming logic.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

That's because the Matilda doesn't get a shit gun to compensate for its godlike armour like all the other T4 heavies do (and don't tell me it's a medium, heck even the Valentine is kinda hard to be classified as a light).

Also, I heard you guys like shit teams:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What you can't see there is that we lost 11 tanks in the first four (as in 4!!) minutes of the game without taking a single one of theirs.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah that happens constantly. it's even better when most of your teams tanks go one way AND the somehow manage to lost the flank whie you and some other poor sould fend off the other flank from 6+ enemy tanks.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WoT's is more about skill than anything else these days. Yes, having a horrible tank is a huge crippler in your effectiveness in operation of that tank. Also, having a weak play style in a type of tank is a huge factor too, I.E. if you're horrible at lights because you are a heavy driver vs light.

I wont say the crew has very little impact, because they REALLY DO have an immense impact. I hate it when I jump from a 100%+ crew down to a 70% ,or gods help me, a 50% crew. I see the huge impact of shots doing any thing to driving capability to being able to ping shots off my armor.

I think you guys are over mathing the game by the way your posts look. I would like to do some platooning with some of you since I lurk on this thread a lot but really dont answer. In the game, I drive more the grip in my pants (yes I know it is supposed to be by the seat of my pants but it feels like more of a grip) and the way the battle on the mini map is moving; I really only go by numbers when something feels off. Like a tank cant possibly pen me at all or its going faster than it could possibly achieve.

Mathing this game is what I do! I cant help it, this game is one step away from a job for me :P

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WoT's is more about skill than anything else these days. Yes, having a horrible tank is a huge crippler in your effectiveness in operation of that tank. Also, having a weak play style in a type of tank is a huge factor too, I.E. if you're horrible at lights because you are a heavy driver vs light.

I wont say the crew has very little impact, because they REALLY DO have an immense impact. I hate it when I jump from a 100%+ crew down to a 70% ,or gods help me, a 50% crew. I see the huge impact of shots doing any thing to driving capability to being able to ping shots off my armor.

I think you guys are over mathing the game by the way your posts look. I would like to do some platooning with some of you since I lurk on this thread a lot but really dont answer. In the game, I drive more the grip in my pants (yes I know it is supposed to be by the seat of my pants but it feels like more of a grip) and the way the battle on the mini map is moving; I really only go by numbers when something feels off. Like a tank cant possibly pen me at all or its going faster than it could possibly achieve.

Bah. While skill plays a good role, I really think there's far more luck than anything else. You can know where to aim and how to drive, but when the shells just don't fly where you aim or decide to do just too low damage to kill an enemy it becomes silly.
Combine that with the right tank matchups and you're done.
I remember when a 12t survived a shot from my KV-3 then I could only just watch as it unloaded the clip into me, then strolled away happily. Back when KV-3 was tier 6 and the autoloaders were barely introduced.

I've gone over to War Thunder now. If I hit a gunner, it won't just mean the enemy needs more luck to hit me, but it also gives me enough time to reload while he can't shoot. The fact that I can angle and know where to aim counts far more than how much hp and armour my tank has. Also, no perfect safety until enemy is 50m away (my ELC does that) just because there's a bush near.
I could prolly go on.

Still, when are you online (+timezone)? I enjoy my platoons and it gives me a reason to not neglect my poor tanks.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the tips guys.
Personally, I always carry a few HE rounds so I can be sure of doing damage and resetting a cap if the tank capping has lots of armor.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the tips guys.
Personally, I always carry a few HE rounds so I can be sure of doing damage and resetting a cap if the tank capping has lots of armor.

IIRC, shooting tracks can also reset the cap, so aim for those with an AP shell before switching to HE.
Ramming can also work in a desperate situation.
Despite what you might think, if your calibre is too low, the HE shell can still just bounce off and do no damage, so try to aim at weakspots or modules (tracks).
I believe the gun is also easy to damage if you shoot it in the right place, which can help you a lot to actually kill the enemy once the cap is over.
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bah. While skill plays a good role, I really think there's far more luck than anything else. You can know where to aim and how to drive, but when the shells just don't fly where you aim or decide to do just too low damage to kill an enemy it becomes silly.
Combine that with the right tank matchups and you're done.
I remember when a 12t survived a shot from my KV-3 then I could only just watch as it unloaded the clip into me, then strolled away happily. Back when KV-3 was tier 6 and the autoloaders were barely introduced.

I've gone over to War Thunder now. If I hit a gunner, it won't just mean the enemy needs more luck to hit me, but it also gives me enough time to reload while he can't shoot. The fact that I can angle and know where to aim counts far more than how much hp and armour my tank has. Also, no perfect safety until enemy is 50m away (my ELC does that) just because there's a bush near.
I could prolly go on.

Still, when are you online (+timezone)? I enjoy my platoons and it gives me a reason to not neglect my poor tanks.

Luck plays some role but IMHO mostly in the match making phase. There is a luck factor within of course but I think that in a usual game its not a big one.

This game like so many others is all about the OODA cycle. Each game is full of probabilities, knows and unknowns and a player needs to constantly make decisions based on them. Things like knowing where to shoot a specific target or angling are just the very tip of the iceberg and I havent personally even thought about them or havent had the time to for a long time... Being in the right spot to effect the battle or potentially immediately effecting the battle directly or indirectly counts the easily the most. Of course it also depends on what your and enemy team does. Usually this means you need to be in a position to do damage constantly through the game, see enemy for spotted/assist damage or pin the enemy strength down/tie them somewhere so that their team gets defeated in detail elsewhere. Each map has several important spots and lots of spots or areas that favor a specific type of a tank(relative tier accounted for).

Theres too many different kind of situations to put it into just a couple of sentences though... Or at least I cant. And so much is tank, map and especially relative tier and tank-spread(your position in the matchup) dependent.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I posted a longer reply, where I agreed in one part, then went on to talk about the unfair part of WoT, but my connection decided to drop just before I pressed post. I really, really hate my ISP. (It's either their fault or the modem's, which they provided. Router is working perfectly.) I did partially reconstruct the reply though.

So yeah, I agree that in some conditions you can change the tides, but in general, you won't be able to do much, especially if RNG is against you. One round I can hold up multiple higher-tier enemies with KV-3, in the next I'll get shot apart and my shells won't land where I point.
The most consistent gamechangers I found were the lights. The ELC is what I find is perfect for that.
Still, it seems unfair that the enemy won't see me until under 50m away. In real life, I seriously doubt you can hide a tank behind a bush like that. Especially not behind a dried-out patch of grass like it's possible on some maps. (Yes, seriously. If you turn off grass, then any shrubbery that's left will consistently hide an ELC with camo from anything on the other side of the vegetation.)

I won't even get started on SPGs.

Of course, in some tanks I can play consistently well. ELC and Matilda especially.
It hangs a lot on if RNG likes me in that battle or not though for most tanks, except ELC and Matilda (because one I use as a passive spotter and the other shoots fast enough to not care about 1-2 bad shots)
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I posted a longer reply, where I agreed in one part, then went on to talk about the unfair part of WoT, but my connection decided to drop just before I pressed post. I really, really hate my ISP. (It's either their fault or the modem's, which they provided. Router is working perfectly.) I did partially reconstruct the reply though.

So yeah, I agree that in some conditions you can change the tides, but in general, you won't be able to do much, especially if RNG is against you. One round I can hold up multiple higher-tier enemies with KV-3, in the next I'll get shot apart and my shells won't land where I point.
The most consistent gamechangers I found were the lights. The ELC is what I find is perfect for that.
Still, it seems unfair that the enemy won't see me until under 50m away. In real life, I seriously doubt you can hide a tank behind a bush like that. Especially not behind a dried-out patch of grass like it's possible on some maps. (Yes, seriously. If you turn off grass, then any shrubbery that's left will consistently hide an ELC with camo from anything on the other side of the vegetation.)

I won't even get started on SPGs.

Of course, in some tanks I can play consistently well. ELC and Matilda especially.
It hangs a lot on if RNG likes me in that battle or not though for most tanks, except ELC and Matilda (because one I use as a passive spotter and the other shoots fast enough to not care about 1-2 bad shots)

Yeah you cant win or do well in every battle and sometimes the RNG screws you. Part of the excitement is that the table can be turned around several times(doesnt happen often though).

But mostl certainly one can do much. 60% WR, which means that your team wins 1,5 times as much as it loses or draws, solo is perfectly achievable without resorting to OP tanks, even with bad crews without even sixth sense perk. Even at tiers 7 to 9.

Now granted 60% is very difficult on that KV-3 of yours mainly because its so slow and secondly because its not a very good tank even when top tier. Its gun mantlet leaks. Sometimes it does ding and ding and ding and dings when it ####### should be long dead already though.  :P But its far from a reliable performer IMHO and needs a good map for it and being at least mid tier.

But I do probably see the game from a slightly different POV as I have never touched SPGs or TDs or even heavies too much... When I click that battle button I want to play the game and not watch the reload timer, or sit in a bush watching birds.  :)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

But I do probably see the game from a slightly different POV as I have never touched SPGs or TDs or even heavies too much... When I click that battle button I want to play the game and not watch the reload timer, or sit in a bush watching birds.  :)

Although sometimes its called for to hold a defensive position in a TD, "Sitting in a bush watching birds" is not an effective Play style in my opinion.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

If you're not being attacked within a minute or two of setting up shop you're camping and watching birds, not defending. The only exception is the canyon on Lakeville where you attack if you're an idiot and only defend defend and defend.

Also the IS-2 is a scary scary tank, it might be me getting better since I played the IS but this one is performing vastly better. Here's a recent game:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

8 kills (the ninth escaped me narrowly), some 3.5k damage and all that XP without the daily double. One of the highlights was getting attacked by an ARL44 and at the same time flanked by a KV-1. Figuring, the KV-1 can be killed much more quickly than the ARL which I can simply outrun I turn around, punt the KV in the side, set it on fire and focus my attention on the BDR that was following it. In a totally badass way the KV explodes as I reach the BDR and smack him square in the face.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Camping is more a product of bad maps than it is what vehicle you're playing. Obviously some tanks are super campy (like, say, the Rheinmetal Borsig), but for almost every vehicle camping is akin to deliberately making the match harder to win.

Luckily the campy maps have thinned out, but I'm sure everyone here remembers them. Erlenburg, Redshire... hell, even Highway and (to some degree) Malinovoka are all maps that used to be atrociously campy.

IS-2 is slightly better than the IS, but not by much... it's probably 90% about you improving =)
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 251