Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Evolution  (Read 6191 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2010, 12:43:07 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:36:08 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2010, 12:43:42 am »

@MetalBroHunt

I dunno... I think it's enough of a threat that I should go obsess over it and be really paranoid for a few years.

Well, if I'm gonna die, that's a really awesome way to do it. You're just sitting there, typing out a reply to some evolution thread on the bay12 forum, thinking about how tangential and off-topic that Argembarger guy is trying to bring it, when all of a sudden, a super brief instant of hellish, blinding horrible light and noise, and then you're dead. And so is everyone else in your country, I guess.

so anyway yeah evolution man that stuff is awesome.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2010, 12:44:44 am »

Thousands of tone of gold will never ever ever randomly appear at my feet.

Ever Ever.
You're right. It'll probably be antigold instead.
For one, glorious moment, you'll be the richest man alive. And then immediately afterwards there will be no men alive.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2010, 12:45:49 am »

Were going to be at the point were we're dicking around our bodies before any major changes happen naturally.

Or we blow ourselves up.

Either way.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Yalishandaw

• Bay Watcher
  • Thanks I could help, bro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2010, 02:44:12 am »

Y'know, this actually has parallels to Dwarf Fortress.  All the worldgen stuff is so Toady can play too.  If I were a god, I would find making a world inhabited by creatures that never changed significantly to be of limited interest.  But a world where creatures constantly adapt to their surroundings with no input from me?  Pretty badass, especially if they just started out as itty bitty microorganisms.

Also, I be Atheist, and don't really think it's a matter of belief.  Massive mountains of evidence all pointing towards evolution tends to make doubt... difficult.
My avatar is Basil the Minotaur.  Go read Gunnerkrigg Court.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2010, 04:44:46 am »

Natural evolution doesn't operate on the scale of human civilization, but what about artificial evolution?  By replacing the normal natural selection process we were able to breed wolves into dogs much faster than natural evolution would have.  Perhaps we are increasing things like height and brain power simply by breeding ourselves for those traits.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2010, 06:31:16 am »

We still remain in second place for muscle density out of all the species on this planet, beaten out only by the chimpanzee.
What does that mean? That we're the second strongest animal, pound for pound? If yes, I'd like to see you wrestle a black bear into submission, they're only slightly heavier than humans.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2010, 06:34:12 am »

If by slightly you mean "three times heavier" then yes, they're only "slightly heavier than humans"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2010, 06:35:59 am »

Aren't they like 250lbs on average? I weigh 210lbs, and I'm fairly slim.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 06:41:02 am »

Black bear weight tends to vary according to age, sex, health and season. Seasonal variation in weight is very pronounced: in autumn, their pre-den weight tends to be 30% higher than in spring, when black bears emerge from their dens. Black bears on the East Coast tend to be heavier on average than those on the West Coast. Adult males typically weigh between 125 and 550 lb, while females weigh 33% less at 90–275 lb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Black_Bear

Also worth noting that bears have teeth and claws.

And as a PD: I was checking on chimps some weeks ago for some reason, and in one of the pages I read, they said that they weren't actually stronger or proportionally more muscled than humans: that was the result of some mismeasurements in the twenties. A strong male human adult is a match in strenght for any chimp.

I do vaguely recall from (distant now) phyisiology class, while checking the lever effects on (human) muscles, that the insertion points in chimps gave them more bang for their buck
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:44:14 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2010, 06:45:12 am »

They only weigh 550lb when they're all fatted up for their winter sleep. In normal conditions I think 250lb is pretty close to average weight. I know some people that weigh 300lb and it's mostly muscle, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't overpower a bear.

Point is, humans are weaksauce for our size. That's because we're not built for power but rather for endurance. And we're pretty damn fuel-efficient, as large mammals go.

And while bears have claws, they don't have the dexterity to pull off an STF.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:57:30 am by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2010, 07:02:44 am »

Lamarck wasn't all wrong you know

Anyway, since there are now Nylon eating bacteria, metro mosquitos and radiation eating fungi I think that it's pretty safe to say there's something akin to evolution going on. See also the E. coli long term evolution experiment for evolution tested in the lab.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2010, 10:59:42 am »

Humans were pretty unique in that we hunted by following something until it just about died of exhaustion. Running on our heels is part of it; it is a bit slower than running on one's toes, but much more energy efficient. This can be seen in the running styles of sprinters vs long distance runners. Most animals can put out short bursts of speed, before stopping and going back to grazing or whatever. Most predators run for a short distance, and if they don't catch it, they go "ah, screw this, I'm gonna go take a nap." We human just keep coming. And will keep running after it possibly for days. And that's how creatures without claws, talons, or impressive teeth can bring down prey several times their size.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2010, 11:15:01 am »

And that's how creatures without claws, talons, or impressive teeth can bring down prey several times their size.
Not saying it doesn't help, but I think that pointy sticks are a more immediate reason.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2010, 11:18:56 am »

We still remain in second place for muscle density out of all the species on this planet, beaten out only by the chimpanzee.
What does that mean? That we're the second strongest animal, pound for pound? If yes, I'd like to see you wrestle a black bear into submission, they're only slightly heavier than humans.
No. It means that we have the highest muscular tissue density. We're second strongest pound for pound of muscle tissue. Black Bears have more muscle tissue than us, but only by that feature is a black bear stronger than a human. Plus, the teeth, jaw strength, size, and claws help to make wrestling them unarmed difficult in the extreme.

Point is, humans are weaksauce for our size. That's because we're not built for power but rather for endurance. And we're pretty damn fuel-efficient, as large mammals go.
We are, in fact, Game Breakers for our size, even though we are built for endurance before power. The whole "Now dominate the entire planet." thing is fairly decent proof of that. In strength by weight, we're stronger than every species besides the chimpanzee, who are about 10% stronger per pound.

Humans are not weaksause in any area except natural disease resistance, and we're using technology to make that not a problem. Which means that, yes, humans are now the munckins of the world. It's a good thing animals can't talk, or they'd be ragequitting on us all the time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7