Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garfield actually does something worth mentioning for once  (Read 1383 times)

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Garfield actually does something worth mentioning for once
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:10:33 am »

To quote Jim Davis
In what has to be the worst timing ever, the strip that runs in today's paper seems to be making a statement about Veterans. It absolutely, positively has nothing to do with this important day of remembrance.

The Comic itself

I was really surprised, I would have never expected Garfield to actually cause controversy, even accidentally. It's just that kind of comic.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Garfield actually does something worth mentioning for once
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:52 am »

Oh wow; yeah there's really no way that's not intentional.

Jim Davis = massive syndicated troll, who'd've guessed?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:14:22 am »

I never thought I'd see the day that Jim Davis becomes a troll. I refuse to believe this was an accident. It's just too perfect.

OK fine, ninja me, see if I care.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:17:23 am »

Saw that one on CNN.com, it does look like a massive case of bad timing.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 12:33:25 pm »

Garfield was intended from the very start to be entirely uncontroversial and extremely profitable. Jim Davis doesn't even really work on the strip at all himself anymore, save for signing them. This is definitely a huge slip on his company's part.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 12:45:15 pm »

Dear god what have we done...we've made a funny joke!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:12:20 pm »

I've always hoped that Jim would just up and say "eh, I have enough money" one day, and immolate the strip in a blaze of Dadaist glory, with increasingly bizarre and disturbing plotlines, maybe a Human Centipede parody involving Odie, Garfield, and Nermal, and in the last strip Jon can blow Garfield's head off with a shotgun for eating his lasagna.

As it stands, Garfield is probably the only "funny" comic that can be made much funnier with the exclusion of its title character.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 02:23:07 pm »

I've always hoped that Jim would just up and say "eh, I have enough money" one day, and immolate the strip in a blaze of Dadaist glory, with increasingly bizarre and disturbing plotlines, maybe a Human Centipede parody involving Odie, Garfield, and Nermal, and in the last strip Jon can blow Garfield's head off with a shotgun for eating his lasagna.

As it stands, Garfield is probably the only "funny" comic that can be made much funnier with the exclusion of its title character.

That has always been one of my favorite xkcd strips. It would make me the happiest boy on earth if it came true.

And these Garfield Without Garfield strips are actually pretty hilarious. Especially the "How Not to Be Annoyed" one. Seems like you're already doing that Jon! You're alone reading a book!
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:29:06 pm »

Some of the more recent Garfield strips could actually be really normal in GWG. Like some of the initial ones where Jon and Liz started going out.

It's like, oh. They're on a date. This is extremely normal. Unless you think about every other GWG leading up to that, then you are horrified and fear for Liz's safety.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 02:50:12 pm »

The only thing garfield related to ever make me break out in laughter was lasagna cat.

As
Seen
Here
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.