Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you imagine your dwarfs?  (Read 3197 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
How do you imagine your dwarfs?
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:28:52 am »

Simple question: Since DF relies heavily on your imagination, how do you imagine your dwarfs?

My first military squad in my current fortress of BasicLabor was given the name 'The Gears of Law'. I then promptly gave them maces and shields, and now I imagine them as dwarven riot police. I like to think their helms even have two big gems in the front over the eyes, to simulate gas masks.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you imagine your dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:39:48 am »

I imagine my military dwarves in armor similar to that of ODSTs. Why you ask? Because in any fort in which I have military dwarves they are dropped from the sky.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:03:09 am »

I imagine a group of drunks hiding in a hole, trying to survive.  Sometimes I try to build a hero from this rabble... but he is still just a drunk who hides in a hole with a +Spear+.  If I give them any other weapon they fall asleep over ++Giant Serrated Circular Blades++ of happy thoughts.  I also think my dwarves are afraid of !!fire!!, I have flooded my fortresses with magmatic happines and the only thing they will go near is !!Dwarven Wine!!.  Yet I have not had !!dwarves!!, just a few melted feet.  Probably caused by !!Socks!! or !!Shoes!!. 

I want to Imagine my ragtag bunch as a group of hero's but I always get stuck with "Is undeniably weak, slow to heal, gets tired easily, and is not agile." which no amount of "training"(poking with dull spikes) will fix.  I always read about super dwarves here on the forums, with amazing stats.  The best I get are losers hiding in masterwork adamantine armour.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:32:22 am »

I see them in general appearance as like the dwarves of Dragon Age, albeit with skin and hair as displayed in Stonesense (which extracts their actual descriptions).
Personality-wise, a bunch of cantankerous, hard-headed, bumbling morons, who nonetheless have strokes of brilliance.  There's also desperation; what else could possibly drive a dwarf to migrate to a fort such as mine?
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:42:07 am »

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:32 am »

-snip-
That was so awesome it replaced my mental image.. :o
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:55:08 am »

I always pictured military Dwarves looking like the knights from Castle Crashers.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 12:10:16 pm »

I tend to picture my dwarves as... dwarves, obviously. And as per the 'our dwarves are all the same' rule, they're bearded, construction-and-digging-loving... well, dwarves. Also constantly guzzling brew and never getting drunk.
If I raise a militia to defent my fortress, they usually fail to gather any useful equipment except for a few weapons, so they probably look like a ragtag band of dwarven-equivalent-of-peasants clutching picks, axes, boulders and whatever they picked up along the way.
Fisherdwarves summon the image of a peaceful dwarf with a fishing pole or one throwing a net. Metalsmiths tend to be pictured with gray/black beards, for some reason, with wood burners being even more black. Herbalists make me think of a dwarf with a pouch/bag carefully searching a bush for berries. Masons are grey/white with stone dust from all the frantic building they usually do in my forts. Mechanics are agile dwarves with braided beards and wearing work clothes with tools of their trade tucked into many pockets. Pump operators are often stout, overly strong dwarves wearing frayed clothing with no sleeves and working with magma lighting the surroundings (even when they are not pumping magma, I still get that image). Miners are perpetually dusty and always clutching their picks. Various crafters and especially jewellers bring up the image of a dwarf with a magnifying monocle and a carving tool carefully working on whatever their thing of choice is.
Also, the amount of decoration on the dwarves' items on those images depends on their skill level and how 'unmanual' their labour is, and their clothes' colours generally bear something in common with their profession. Nobles wear richly decorated purple, mechanics-related professions wear reddish leather workclothes of various designs, farmers wear simple undecorated clothing, crafters' clothes have something coloured blue etc.
And yes, every dwarf has some sort of an image.

Recently I tried a hammerdwarf adventurer, and discovered that he was armoured in a most unusual way - he wore tons and tons of cloth under the bits of armour he had, including a dress. I pictured him as a walking metal cloth bin armed with a hammer and a shield.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 04:50:52 pm »

Short, rounded people with proportionately shorter legs than torsos and a big head with the jaws, cheeks, and dome the same width, with squarish vertical forehead and either large cartoonish eyes and minimal facial features, or small deep-set eyes and massive eyebrows, big nose, and very expressive lips (this often dependent on the comedy of the situation they're currently in). Their hands and feet are proportionately large, very thick and muscular. Women don't have beards, but both genders usually have very dense, long hair on their head and limbs, and also hairier torsos. Their skin I never imagine is actually pale, but just dull.
Lower class citizens would wear simple clothing with few accented or decorative seams, while middle and upper classes may have well-made clothing with somewhat accented cuffs and seams, but still rarely decorated except on these seams, and then in similarly colored fabric, which is usually dull and colorless. Pockets on clothes aren't common, and even backpacks are simply a large one-pocket satchel.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 05:19:28 pm »

I imagine them as a group of highly xenophobic craftsdwarfs. They are trying to improve themselves through the creation of wondrous things, whether it be jewelry, metal crafts, or architecture. After a Time the rest of the world focuses unwanted attention, and thus the craftsmen go to war, and to war they go.

They go to war in gleaming plate armor, inscribed with the names of every dwarf to fall in that armor. In their hands they wield weapons etched with the names of the invaders they killed. They shall fight to the last dwarf, they shall burn everything they leave behind, they will collapse their citadel taking as many as possible with them.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 08:56:40 pm »

I didn't really picture my dwarves until I saw waronmars' awesome drawing:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1604.msg1600139#msg1600139

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 10:40:51 pm »

Like this.  No question.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 03:55:51 am »

Slightly off model Mexican versions of these:

Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 06:40:00 am »

I may have spent too much time in Nethack and other rogue-likes in the past, but I have no difficulties to imagine them as the smiley faces that they are ingame.

If a dragon titan appears, I also have no difficulties to imagine him as a giant uppercase D... I don't see a dragon infront of my eyes.

To explain by using images made for another game: http://www.adom.de/adom/gallery.php3  I imagine my dwarves like in the pictures on the top of that site.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 06:46:54 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 06:56:46 am »

I imagine my dwarves as like the WoW dwarves, but loves magma more.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: [1] 2