Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Worst forum types you've seen (by subject)  (Read 2715 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Worst forum types you've seen (by subject)
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 06:05:48 pm »

GRRRR MINECRAFT FORUMS GRRRRR
This a million times for categorical and absolute truth and fact.
If a baseline for evil is a hypothetical child between Sauron and Cruella deVille, then Minecraft forums are the equivalent magnitude baseline for forum retardedness.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 06:49:15 pm »

If a baseline for evil is a hypothetical child between Sauron and Cruella deVille Hitler, then Minecraft forums are the equivalent magnitude baseline for forum retardedness.

Fixed, or at least rendered somewhat more accurate.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 06:58:37 pm »

Yeah, Godwin's Law is easier to apply than OotS baselines.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 09:22:31 pm »

The funny thing is that the unit of evil in OotS is kilonazis.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2010, 09:39:39 pm »

politicsforum.org and its brother site.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2010, 09:46:43 pm »

Worse than dedicated politics sites:  The per-article threads on msnbc's and cnn's politics articles.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 01:21:53 am »

Battleships Forever forums. ITT: Admins with serious issues.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 01:34:46 am »

Battleships Forever forums. ITT: Admins with serious issues.
I do believe that's where the "I'm a fucking faggot" Shad0wdump idiocy went down.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 05:30:50 am »

Minecraft's forums, as noted by numerous previous posters, deserve a special shoutout... When I first discovered Minecraft, I made this strange assumption that the community would be awesome. Needless to say, the forums and the comments on Notch's blog destroyed my fantasy. MC's forum isn't the worst forum I've ever been a part of, but it absolutely takes the top spot as the most disappointing forum I've ever seen. Mount&Blade's forum was disappointing in a similar manner.

Can we count the comment trees of social news aggregators like Digg and Reddit as forums? :P If so, I nominate them as #1. Reddit is the only place where I've seen hundreds of completely unqualified individuals spew legal and medical advice at someone and insist that their word is damn near infallible. Think Yahoo! Answers if the people replying used decent spelling and pretended to be authorities on the subject. Related to that, while the phenomena of high-school/college students pretending to be something they aren't on the internet isn't new or unique, it's astounding what lengths Redditors will go to to pretend they're a mid-30's married-with-children PhD-holding expert in their field in order to throw out something legit-sounding for upvotes; a day after talking about their upcoming 21st birthday or what colleges they're applying to in a different thread.
I'm of the firm opinion that a focus on upvotes and "karma" (as it's called on Reddit) brings out the worst in a community.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 09:45:05 am »

By far the worst I've ever seen were Cracked.com's comments and the RPGmaker forum I used to frequent. Cracked commenters are really, really assholish if anyone dares to criticize or correct an article, especially if the criticism involves something nerdy. For example (I won't link to the article.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The RPGmaker forum became so overmoderated that it became effectively unusable. You could get your post deleted, your warn level increased, or even banned if you posted anything remotely "off topic". Even suggesting something like "you may like this ammo script for your game" would get you in trouble if the person didn't specifically ask for an ammo script.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 10:18:23 am »

Don't go to the Fornits forum. Ever. Just don't go there. The subject matter is horrific, the posters hate each other, there are some persistent evil motherfuckers, and the moderation is awful.

Official game forums are also usually very bad places, unless the game is Dwarf Fortress. Sony's MAG forum, for example, is a hellhole, made worse by the Maoists who moderate it. Cao Ni Ma, Sony. Cao Ni Ma.

Political forums are also bad, even if you'd think that the participants agree with each other. Free Republic is demented and vicious, RedState is just plain mean, Daily Kos likes to pretend to be a warm and comforting place right until the purity/settling-for-nothing arguments start, and anything involving anarchism or libertarianism is, well, anarchy. And not in the fun happy kind of way.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:24:19 am by Eugenitor »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 10:21:13 am »

What is the horrific subject matter?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 10:29:59 am »

The only way to explain it would be to quote it, and I'm not going to quote that shit here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]