A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142648 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #1575 on: November 16, 2010, 03:37:41 am »

*sigh*  This isn't going to end well.  I detect a need for a sheriff already.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Chapter 1: Struck Earth
« Reply #1576 on: November 16, 2010, 07:26:07 am »

I'd like to see us building the entrance to the proper part of the fortress partway up the mountain, for greater defense. This would make it much easier to repel part of a siege by pouring oil down the slope.

Posted earlier:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: And my proposed eventual external defense layout. All tower access would be internal, and all towers would have ballista, save the middle one with a catapult.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Action: I'll help haul stones, while thinking about fortifications.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:55:03 am by Nirur Torir »

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: November 16, 2010, 08:12:03 am »

Gar: starts digging a forge chamber off from the main corridor, avoiding digging out any ores for now. With room to expand out for more forges/kilns/smelters later, he'll dig just enough room for a stockpile of metals, and then enough room for a forge which is walled off (and will later have a lockable door) from the stockpile area. In addition, he'll dig a nearby 5x5 chamber.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: November 16, 2010, 10:39:20 am »

So if I want to secretly save any succulent bloated tubers for myself I should PM you?  Alright!

(They are seedless after all, and my favorite food)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:40:51 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: November 16, 2010, 10:44:19 am »

I help V, afterwards I help set up camp and if there are any picaxes left I help with the digging.

I approach Urist Ore Balance, "So, do you really mean it?" I ask.
"Yes.. I do. It started when we first set off..."
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: November 16, 2010, 10:46:41 am »

Leave my crossbow at the tent, so I can fill my backpack with plants instead of hauling them one or two at a time.
I was kidding about the bloated tubers though.  I just mention they're my favorite food and seedless.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: November 16, 2010, 10:48:48 am »

What about the cat?
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: November 16, 2010, 12:01:15 pm »

"Yes.. I do. It started when we first set off..."

*hugs Urist*  "I'm sorry about earlier, about how I questioned you.  I had to be sure that you all were still the same people.  I want you to know that. . . I wasn't always like this."

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: November 16, 2010, 12:06:36 pm »

I sense a hard-boiled noirish flashback coming.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: November 16, 2010, 12:29:23 pm »

Nobody ever likes my defense ideas.

Very well, but if we want to keep the goblins outside, I'll need a team of NPC masons once we start getting some migrants. Triple walls of varying heights, many traps, and perhaps some hidden pumps to flood the areas between the walls.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: November 16, 2010, 12:59:50 pm »

It's not that I don't like it, it's just they're rather grand for a fort that is just starting out.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: November 16, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »

"Really? I understand... Who knows what could have happened if the god was evil.. Yeah. *Hugs back* ..What do you mean?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: November 16, 2010, 01:08:09 pm »

My personal vote for our long-term design essentially involves treating the basin like a courtyard, with walls blocking off the north (as planned), but also rising to the east and west. The south, I feel, should be some sort of outright castle or keep (or collection of both), but the principle remains the same. Sort of like Nirur's plan, but building up on the cliff as well.

I also think we should keep most of our fortress under the courtyard thing, but that doesn't particularly matter. In terms of what we're doing right now, what we've got and are planning seems fine.

I'd agree that we want our workshops inside, but we might not mine fast enough for that to be viable immediately. Sleeping areas and food storage are probably a bigger concern than not having to make crafts in the rain, and I'd rather get us up and running immediately as far as stone goes.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1588 on: November 16, 2010, 01:37:16 pm »

I like Nirur's designs, though I think we should turn that central island into an imposing tower of doom carved from the bones of the land.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: November 16, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »

"Well not that long ago, I was actually a male.  Litast can confirm that much if you don't believe me.  Ever since I was. . . transformed I guess, or maybe just changed, things have looked. . . different.  We'll talk more about that later though, I just thought that you deserved the knowledge that I wasn't always a female is all."  I say kind of embarrassed about the whole thing, and wondering whether or not I was doing the right thing by making this knowledge more public.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 249