A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 142498 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 10:29:35 pm »

What kind of tribes are at Iris?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 10:37:05 pm »

The Underclerk says:
"Specifically, uncivilised human tribes value that land. They think that the volcanic lake is a gift from their gods, and though they live as nomads on the frozen wastes they regularly return for religious reasons. They'll consider any settlement an invasion and desecration.

"Kobolds also live nearby, in natural cave systems that are heated by the volcano. They worship the lake as a god, and thus they are at peace with the barbarian nomads. They're quite mild however, and probably won't act beyond regular harassment and thievery unless you despoil the lake.

"There's also a chance of roving goblins, demons and all manner of intelligent beasts, drawn by the warm waters. They're smart enough to avoid the barbarians, though."
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 10:42:45 pm »

Oh, I like Iris.  We could use the Barbarians there to scare everyone off if we establish underground tree farms fast enough, which we'll need to do anyhow.  Plus they are an automatic elf disposal system.  We could make a second cistern of lake water and they'll never be the wiser.  Yes, I'm strongly under the impression that Iris is a great idea.  And of course, there is the magma :D  insta-iron works.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 11:06:43 pm »

Could I go on the waiting list?
Name: Kog Haltpast

I voted for Shatter, seems like a good place, in my opinion.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 11:30:43 pm »

The Underclerk says:
"The barbarians might be simple, but they'll definitely discover your presence sooner rather than later. Even if you manage to get underground and leave no trace on the surface before they return, they'll find out from the kobolds. Otherwise, they'll discover one of the caravans carrying supplies, soldiers or migrants and figure it out from there. They might even find out from one of their trade missions in another civilisation. Word travels, you know."

"They're disorganised and not very well equipped, but they can be quite vicious once they get on the warpath. Reminds me of when I saw a pit worm get trapped in a quarry..."

The Underclerk files away triplicate copies of orders regarding recent goblin offensives.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:33:09 pm by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 11:33:27 pm »

I'd like to be on the waiting list.
Name: Mikhail Pad

What is Iron like? Should have read more of the first page.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:46:05 pm by Lillipad »
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 11:47:54 pm »

The Underclerk says:
"Hmm? I already told you about the military situation, you're going to have to deal with it yourself.

"You mean the actual site? Scouts reported that there's a huge shelf made of hard stone, stretching for a distance in both directions. Incidentally, the river and waterfall originates primarily from the volcanic lake at that glacier. The water's a bit warmer than usual, so it takes longer to freeze. Don't worry, the waterfall isn't sacred ground too. At least, we don't think it is.

"There's a light conifer forest that goes a long way, and there's undergrowth that clusters around the bases of the trees. It's cold, but not deathly. The cliffs are steep enough that you can't climb them, so all traffic has to go around the shelf. If you could cut a stairway or even a road into the cliff face, that would be a nice bonus to travellers and traders passing through.

"It's a good spot for a military citadel, I suppose. I'd prefer someplace warmer and with better industrial prospects, but I'm just an Underclerk who's had this position for fifteen years, not a queue-jumping adventurer who probably owes someone money..."

The Underclerk continues to ramble on about the unfairness of it all while examining the binding on a geology tome.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 12:46:32 am »

Hmmm, could I hear about any dangers in Cleft before I make my final decision?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 01:06:08 am »

The Underclerk says:
"Ah, the one the humans want built. Yes, they were quite smart to submit that proposal.

"It's quite a good location. Land and sea trade pass through that area, just nobody's tried to build a settlement from the ground down. Let's see... The weather is mild, no recorded disasters in the area, no major battles fought nearby in recent memory. Entire area is practically unsettled.

"However, if this scheme works, the wealth will draw in all sorts of unfavourable attention. Bandits. Pirates. Raiders and looters and pillagers of all stripes. And of course there's the prestige factor. Capturing and destroying the site would be a huge morale booster for our enemies, and our relationship with the human kingdom would turn grim, seeing as we would be protecting their interests."

The Underclerk continues on the finer points of international trade.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 01:23:02 am »

Yep, I'm keeping my vote to Iris, even though it looks like Iron will win in the end :(

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 01:31:50 am »

We'll have a supervoting round between Iron, Core and Warped soon, unless something extraordinary happens.

The Underclerk pulls out a map and marks down the locations. It's not a very good map, most likely a cast-off from a cartographer's practice. In fact, you cannot fathom why he's showing you at all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Underclerk is somewhat incredulous that so many have picked Warped and Core without investigating further. Oh well, their funerals.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:30:36 am by Shade-o »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 04:12:14 am »

There we go, and it's down to the cold cliffs of Iron, the ancient horror-filled Core, and the unnatural, eerie beauty of Warped.

"We've been here for 18 hours. Will you please just pick a site so that I can go home? I have a wife and kids!"

The Underclerk looks distinctly put-upon.

And as a personal note, I wish that we could embark on all the sites.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:22:15 am by Shade-o »

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 07:52:43 am »

Well, I'll throw my vote in Warped, I'm curious to see what kind of horrors await us there.  Plus highest volcanism rating.  It's just not dwarf fortress without a way to flood the world with magma!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 09:51:47 am »

My dwarf shall take the name Gar Kenduthal!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »

Alright then, it looks like Iron will be the site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 249